*Confirmed* Grado PS1000 is coming!
Mar 3, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #796 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But how do you attach the headband when there are no cups? You really ned to post some pics.

Without the back part of the cup, you can't lock those forks in place. That was my greatest reluctance, that is, until I found a new best friend: superglue.

I superglued the forks directly to the cushions. The downside to this is that I'm married to these cushions now, unless I want to rip them off and replace them with new ones. But that whole crescent-shaped fork is now fused to the pads creating a pretty lean appearance. The metal axis is not hindered from turning side to side. It's just that the horizontal axis (at 9 and 3 o'clock) are now rendered irrelevant.

I've got pictures but I'm downsizing them so I can post them in the gallery. I'll let you know when I've been successful.

Mar 3, 2009 at 8:32 AM Post #797 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by AC1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is very true and what many people experince when first using GS1000's which is that the sucked out mid range creates the illusion of space. And when I first got the GS1000's like everybody I thought they were horrible due to their tonal balance.

That however changed after being able to breaking in the pads down (essentially changing the distance of the drivers to the ear). Honestly now they have roughly the same physical presentation of sound (placement/size/fullness) of the Stax Omega IIs I owned. This of course is contrary to a lot of people's experience with the GS1000's and I totally understand where they are coming from. To me, these were now just O2's with more of a Grado sound (and different tonal balance of course).

After upgrading my system and going to the SDS amp, I was able to push the GS1000's way farther than I was able to take the KGSS/O2 system. The only thing the O2s did better was have more lower end detail. But it missed so many things that the GS1000's could do especially in regards to dynamics and control. They in a way out "electrostated" the O2s in the level of speed and control. The stats sounded sloppy and loose in comparison.

Now that is my experience, and I fully realize that this is not the norm for a GS1000 experience. For me, they sound like no other headphone even compared to other top tier headphones. But don't believe for a second that I think the sound of GS1000's that most experience is what I think is "good". Far from it, I just happen to stick with them longer and saw (heard) the long term potential.

The HD800 and PS1000 give me hope that there are cans that can take me even further.

I enjoyed reading your comments and have a question. What did you do to help break your pads in so you could start hearing what you were after?

Mar 3, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #798 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys keep saying this stuff.

If you quote me, please only refer to my post, else it gets very confusing, I'm here alone, and not with 'other guys'.

One makes the assumption. The other says, "Ooh, that's right." And now I've got you telling me which headphones I've never listened to. The only headphones I've said I haven't listened to were the PS-1000s, which I stated in my first post.

I'm not 'telling you', I clearly said: 'correct me if I'm wrong'. Well you kinda did now, but not in the most mature way, not in a way I expected after your first posts...

Is this supposed to be some kind of scandal? Am I supposed to run away in shame? Most of us have not heard these cans yet. That's what we're here, at the great watercooler in cyberspace. My original post was one of skepticism, and I think I've been clear as to why.

Yes, but why isn't anyone to allowed to question it, or even disagree with it? If you can write such a great post, why can't we expect such great reply's?

You and your little friends keep chiming in about how most of my facts are wrong, but that's not an argument. That's just repetition.

Me and my little friends
rolleyes.gif

If you want to argue that my facts are wrong, pick one.

--------------------- sub post ---------------------

It seems to me that Grado is trying to kill two birds with one stone: It wants to go after those willing to pay more for a used PS-1 than a new GS-1000. It also wants to raise prices in the middle of a recession. Its apparent strategy is to claim these are all new products. And aren't they? See the "i"?

Its apparent because they look different, have different cables (something other people pay alot of money for, and isn't such a 'small' change as some people think, the recabled 780 comes to mind), and Grado sais they have modified/different drivers, I believe them untill proved otherwise.

What's particularly brazen is the Olympic-style flips and twists in replacing Mahogany with aluminum. After years of insisting that the mahogany-packing RS-1, RS-2 and GS-1000 are superior to the aluminum-encased SR-325i

They didn't 'insist' on that at all, the grado house sound just changed, from Joe to John's sound. Where Joe preferred the use of metals to get 'his' sound, John preferred wood to get 'his' sound.

, Grado is now rebaptizing the GS-1000 in aluminum. This "hybrid" will have a mahogany base with an aluminum rear chamber slipped on like Cinderella's golden slipper. It makes no sense to me to argue that aluminum and mahogany are the ebony and ivory of great sound. Grado is simply going after the PS1 crowd and their aluminum-housed RS-1.

This is just what you 'think' and isn't based on any facts at all, just how you 'feel' about it. For all we know the choice of using both aluminium and mahogany could be the best ever invented, we just don't know. But stating 'grado is simply going after the PS1 crowd' etc. is just a very negative view based on what you 'think' they are doing, and not on any knowledge whatsoever.

The salad bowls gave the GS-1000 a more recessed, "refined" sound, closer to some of its competitors - such as the relatively-dull Sennheiser. That "concert hall" put the listener back so many rows, letting in some of that high-end sparkle muffled out by the narrow soundstage. To do this, the big bowls pushed the ear further from the driver. But this endangered the bass, which was tweaked. The result was a driver with thumping bass, high-end sizzle, but a disarming drop in midrange. To many, the GS-1000 sounded too much like all of those home theaters sporting "satellite" tweeters, balanced by a corner subwoofer. This equalizer smile left many Gradoheads feeling left at the altar. They paid the highest for a headphone at odds with the Grado sound.

But also by many (there are actually quite alot of GS1000 owners out there, hence it didn't seize to excist), this is not true at all. With good source and amp matching the GS1000 didn't have a recessed mids whatsoever, and that 'thumping' bass you talk about it considered by alot some of the most accurate ever produced by a headphone.

[size=x-small]...[/size]
And none of it involves a "hybrid" of mahogany and aluminum.

Its great that you like to compare your DIY with all the research of Grado, and for all I know, it could be easily comparable (I never heard your DIY, and thus don't judge it). However sound changes with alot of things, this could be a new cable, new materials, or even some drilled holes. The thing that doesn't compute with me however is that you are comparing the change of material with some DIY tricks. Are you implying that Grado should use your DIY tricks on their headphones, because it is better and cheaper than the use of heir new materials? Have you heard the PS1000? This is not some 'attack', I'm just trying to understand what you are basing all your opinions on.

-----------------------------------------

Don't just sit there in la-la land, parroting the same chickenheaded babble about how most of my facts are wrong. I can't believe the kind of witch hunt that gets started because somebody has a different opinion.

I can't believed how quickly you are irritated and feel you are on a witchhunt... You should really consider reading my post again, because contrary to you, I'm NOT trying to offend you.

If you want to exchange ideas about something, knock yourself out. I never said I was Moses coming down from the mount with tablets in hand. But if you and your little friends want to run me off for blaspheming the golden Grado, get a life.

When I read your first post, I did want to argue with you about some stuff, because you seemed like a normal person who has alot of knowledge (although imo some wrong conclusions), however if these are the responses I can expect, I'm out...

ps I hope you guys can also appreciate my posts, even if english isn't my first language and I don't use fancy words.

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #799 of 941
Quote:

What's needed is a cushion that allows the cups to be worn at an angle. Instead of aiming straight in from the sides of the head, the cups should angled to match the ears' orientation, which is not necessarily parallel to the head. Some people have Prince Charles ears that stick out like Dumbo's. Some people have ears that run straight back. Many, I suspect, have ears at a crossroad between forward orientation and biology's version of aerodynamics.

It seems to me that a great solution would be tapered cushions. Their shape should present less cushion in front and more cushion in the back. This would probably make Grado fans look even less fashionable than they already do, but it would better serve the goal of promoting bass while keeping the soundstage open. I tried to do this manually by depressing the cushions in the front, sliding them down, but I had to be careful not to break the seal; otherwise, I'd get the "open" high end but lose some bass.

Bila,
I have been playing around with my GS1000's and angling them and pushing them closer etc over and over and I agree with you. They do need to be a bit closer to the ear and angled(more pad behind the ear and less in front). This brings a much fuller, richer sound, or at least it seems so to me. Rock on!
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #800 of 941
Quote:

Thanks! I've got pictures. I'll upload them to the computer after dinner and send them up.

All right, looking forward to it.

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #802 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fido2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
he said: "chickenheaded babble" LMAO!!

LOL.

Bilavideo, FTW!

(I don't care what those other wankers say about you ... your alright by me)

k701smile.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #804 of 941
For The Win...

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #810 of 941

Users who are viewing this thread

Back