*Confirmed* Grado PS1000 is coming!
Mar 2, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #766 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And you have obviously never been slapped with a metaphor. Welcome to the boys club phallus comparison contest. Yippee!

Sorry, my mind isn't bassackwards enough to think of boys and erect penises in the same context. I'll leave that up to you. Ki Yay!

Quote:

Yes, I know what a PS-1 is. My point was that, till now, Grado has left aluminum to the Prestige Series' 325/325i and gone with mahogany for its Reference and Statement series.

I really don't care if you know what it is. Have you heard one?

I still don't know what your point is. Perhaps you should clarify it instead of trying to drape it in wannabe witty dripping sarcasm? Grado used metal far before it ever thought of using wood. You should try the HP-1000 sometime, along with the PS-1 of course.

Quote:

Now, when a company suddenly has a change of heart like this, one explanation is that Grado suddenly discovered the acoustic benefits of aluminum, something that hadn't occurred to them all these years when they were clothing the RS-1 (and its lower and higher price-point siblings, the RS-2 and GS-1000) in mahogany. Another explanation is that people are willing to pay more for a used/out-of-production PS-1 than for a new GS-1000.

You assume too much and educate yourself too little. Instead of trying to think of witty things to type, perhaps consider taking up reading? Maybe one day you'll actually realize why people pay more for an out of production PS-1 than a used GS1000. I've owned two of the former and one of the latter, therefore I can actually speak from experience.

Quote:

In fancy review after fancy review, the GS-1000 gets stellar marks for pushing the envelope in headphone sound. But word on the street runs the other way. A fair number of actual GS1k buyers have expressed dissatisfaction with its infamous sibilance and gutted midrange. And while I think the sibilance issue is overblown (Sucky recordings are not Grado's fault), it's fair to say if you're going to court controversy, you don't want it focused on your "best" product.

That's because the majority of those fancy reviewers has never had the privilege of hearing the PS-1, let alone the HP-1000.

Best is in the ear of the beholder. I judge a headphone by actually listening to it myself, not what I read.

Quote:

I mean, look at this. Grado came out with the Second Coming and people are spending serious dollars buying the PS-1. I don't know a solitary soul who thinks the GS-1000 is a better headphone than the PS-1. That's not a good place to be. Is it really rocket science to say, "Hey, we should go metal, like the PS-1, but instead of a body that looks like an RS-1, let's stick with the shape and cushions of the GS-1000"?

Once again, I love your fancy witty hyperbole. Not a single solitary soul? Really!? Try reading some more. His name is Blackmore.

Regarding that last question, are you speaking Pompanese? Rocket science? You've lost me once again. I suppose I'm too slow to keep up.

Quote:

And that's cool. If Grado wants to make a headphone with mahogany underwear and an aluminum tank top, who am I to find fault? If enough people - who aren't selling the d*mned thing - come back with more than just fanboy enthusiasm crossed with pride of ownership, maybe I'll rob a few liquor stores and buy one for myself.

I don't know, who are you? You seem to be speculating and jumping to conclusions just fine. Then again that appears to be your MO. You don't seem to have any experience with the headphones you're speculating about here, but that doesn't seem like reason enough to stop you.

Once again, if you actually took the time to read some more you would be able to decipher between fanboyism and honest feedback.

Keep up the sharp work Sundance, it's a good look for you.

Quote:

I'm not against progress, just overweening hype.

The HD800 thread is over that way.

Mar 2, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #767 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, my mind isn't bassackwards enough to think of boys and erect penises in the same context. I'll leave that up to you. Ki Yay!

I really don't care if you know what it is. Have you heard one?

I still don't know what your point is. Perhaps you should clarify it instead of trying to drape it in wannabe witty dripping sarcasm? Grado used metal far before it ever thought of using wood. You should try the HP-1000 sometime, along with the PS-1 of course.

You assume too much and educate yourself too little. Instead of trying to think of witty things to type, perhaps consider taking up reading? Maybe one day you'll actually realize why people pay more for an out of production PS-1 than a used GS1000. I've owned two of the former and one of the latter, therefore I can actually speak from experience.

That's because the majority of those fancy reviewers has never had the privilege of hearing the PS-1, let alone the HP-1000.

Best is in the ear of the beholder. I judge a headphone by actually listening to it myself, not what I read.

Once again, I love your fancy witty hyperbole. Not a single solitary soul? Really!? Try reading some more. His name is Blackmore.

Regarding that last question, are you speaking Pompanese? Rocket science? You've lost me once again. I suppose I'm too slow to keep up.

I don't know, who are you? You seem to be speculating and jumping to conclusions just fine. Then again that appears to be your MO. You don't seem to have any experience with the headphones you're speculating about here, but that doesn't seem like reason enough to stop you.

Once again, if you actually took the time to read some more you would be able to decipher between fanboyism and honest feedback.

Keep up the sharp work Sundance, it's a good look for you.

The HD800 thread is over that way.

How old are you?

Mar 2, 2009 at 9:31 AM Post #769 of 941
Quote:

And you have obviously never been slapped with a metaphor. Welcome to the boys club phallus comparison contest. Yippee!

Yes, I know what a PS-1 is. My point was that, till now, Grado has left aluminum to the Prestige Series' 325/325i and gone with mahogany for its Reference and Statement series.

Now, when a company suddenly has a change of heart like this, one explanation is that Grado suddenly discovered the acoustic benefits of aluminum, something that hadn't occurred to them all these years when they were clothing the RS-1 (and its lower and higher price-point siblings, the RS-2 and GS-1000) in mahogany. Another explanation is that people are willing to pay more for a used/out-of-production PS-1 than for a new GS-1000.

In fancy review after fancy review, the GS-1000 gets stellar marks for pushing the envelope in headphone sound. But word on the street runs the other way. A fair number of actual GS1k buyers have expressed dissatisfaction with its infamous sibilance and gutted midrange. And while I think the sibilance issue is overblown (Sucky recordings are not Grado's fault), it's fair to say if you're going to court controversy, you don't want it focused on your "best" product.

I mean, look at this. Grado came out with the Second Coming and people are spending serious dollars buying the PS-1. I don't know a solitary soul who thinks the GS-1000 is a better headphone than the PS-1. That's not a good place to be. Is it really rocket science to say, "Hey, we should go metal, like the PS-1, but instead of a body that looks like an RS-1, let's stick with the shape and cushions of the GS-1000"?

And that's cool. If Grado wants to make a headphone with mahogany underwear and an aluminum tank top, who am I to find fault? If enough people - who aren't selling the d*mned thing - come back with more than just fanboy enthusiasm crossed with pride of ownership, maybe I'll rob a few liquor stores and buy one for myself.

I'm not against progress, just overweening hype.

Weird post.
Almost all your facts are wrong.
Word on the street runs the other way? It is to be expected that fans of the traditional Grado sound would be disappointed by the GS1000: they deviate from that. It tells me nothing of the qualities of the GS1000, only of the expectations of the Grado fans.

Grado has been making aluminium phones for a long time.

I like the GS1000 better than the PS-1.

Who are you to find fault? I don't know, but I guess (and you'll agree with that) as long as you haven't heard them you are in this respect nobody.

Mar 2, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #770 of 941
Quote:

What's your favorite color?

mine's red.

I Think I get what Bilavideo is trying to say, and to me they are valid points.
Grado have no advantage of the resale prices for HP1000 and PS1 being so high. But if they release a headphone that will remind listeners of the PS1, both sonically and visually, they might be able to harvest some of that money which consumers otherwise would have spent towards a PS1.

Mar 2, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #773 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lavender.

Haahaha...I shoulda known...

Lavender = aytch oh em oh
o2smile.gif

I'm kiddin B...you know you my boy

Mar 2, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #775 of 941
Euhm, isn't Bilavideo's post (no offense) abit overrated due to his fancy use of the english language? I mean instead of bashing 'subtle' for questioning the new prodigy, try to actually read what he is saying/asking. And just like Kees already said, almost all his 'facts' are wrong, and he probably (correct me if I'm wrong Bilavideo), hasn't heard the PS1? I'm sorry but I really don't get this 'bashing' of the new expensive headphones? What do all these amps cost? We don't question the EAR HP4 for its price, which is pretty high, and go ramming on it for what materials the used etc, or if it came in a fancy box or not. I'm in this hobby for the sound, and reproduction of music, how about you guys... ?

Mar 2, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #776 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in this hobby for the sound, and reproduction of music, how about you guys... ?

QFT...

However, sometimes the use of embellished language will cause a post to be viewed as blindly supportive, almost as if the writer was being paid by a sponsor to write a favorable review. This might cause others to be suspicious of the legitimacy of the review. I'm not saying that the OP was of this nature; rather, I'm explaining why his review might be received unfavorably. Attacking him because he decided to contribute something to this community might cause him to never contribute again. Each person's input is valuable on Head-Fi and is what allows us to learn from each other.

Thank you, Bilavideo, for your impressions on this new headphone. Your valuable review is what keeps Head-Fi interesting and fresh.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I take everything I read with a grain of salt. Can we stop the flamefest and get back on topic? I look forward to reading more impressions on this new headphone...

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #777 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisplyr3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you, Bilavideo, for your impressions on this new headphone. Your valuable review is what keeps Head-Fi interesting and fresh.

Are you referring to his modded SR-60, because the way you worded your comment with "this new headphone" might lead people to actually believe that he provided impressions on the one new headphone this thread is actually about?

Since he clearly didn't do that, I can only assume you're referring to his modded creation.

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #778 of 941
Quote:

Are you referring to his modded SR-60, because the way you worded your comment with "this new headphone" might lead people to actually believe that he provided impressions on the one new headphone this thread is actually about?

Since he clearly didn't do that, I can only assume you're referring to his modded creation.

Actually he did. He is talking about the logistics and business model rather then the sound.
I think it's a good reality check and I tend to think along similar lines.
We can think of grado as a great and altruistic benefactor, or as a businessman with a track record of producing good headphones.
To me the latter is much closer to the truth. If you think he just designs for the best sound possible without considering exploitable niches... well, then, I guess we disagree.

Mar 2, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #779 of 941
Hey Bilavideo, welcome to Head-fi! Great posts btw. You remind me of scrypt in your writing style. That is a big compliment if you don't know scrypt.

Interesting tweaks and mods you have done. I wonder if I can get away with mangling my wife's SR60's so I can try the open-air sound. Would be really cool to test against other Grados as well as some electrostats. I can imagine the decrease in bass, nothing to trap the sound waves for a time, but one also gets really fast tight bass, similar to what the HP-1000's are known for. They don't have elongated cups, reducing resonance first by using metal and secondly by decreasing overall time for the waves to interact with any material. Some like this bass, others not so much.

Wooden Grados are too delicate to work with and metal ones, too pricey, but some SR60's or SR80's would be interesting to test out with, not to mention the iGrados.

How difficult was it opening up the iGrados?

Mar 2, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #780 of 941
Folks, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. Kindergarten 101 (or is that A?) Anyhow, Bilavideo has written some fine posts, rather than targeting him, if there is information that doesn't seem to jive with posts made over time on the forum, point them out but do so civilly. I don't want to have to start deleting posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back