*Confirmed* Grado PS1000 is coming!
Feb 22, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #272 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphile's pads are circumaural, converting any Grado's into full-size.

And GS-1000 AND PS-1000 are circumaural (hence full-size) in the first place.

Are you sure? The pictures sure don't look like they are circumaural. They look like slightly larger bowls which are painfully bad in my experience.

Feb 22, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #273 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GS1000s with metal cups.

pass.

this is my question as well. Are they really slapping a $1700 tag on a GS1000/i for a metal shell? One would hope there are significant driver changes if not a completely seperate driver in it compared to the GS1000/i.

Feb 22, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #275 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure? The pictures sure don't look like they are circumaural. They look like slightly larger bowls which are painfully bad in my experience.

They're definitely circumaural. Have you ever tried on a pair of GS1000's?

Feb 22, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #277 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're definitely circumaural. Have you ever tried on a pair of GS1000's?

Nope, never seen them in person. Nobody had any at the meet I've been to.

You can use the GS1000 pads on any Grado? Interesting...

Feb 22, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #278 of 941
You can....but I personally would not recommend it. I find the new pads only work with the GS-1000's and PS-1000's. Others differ, some like the really big pads on other models. To me, it makes them sound strange. but...worth a try if you find the bowls uncomfortable.

Feb 22, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #280 of 941
Well if it affects the sound I won't bother. I'm more a Senn guy anyways, but I do appreciate the Grado signature, just thought maybe if I could do circumaural pads I'd pick up a SR80i or something for companion phones. I can't deal with supra-aural at all.

Feb 22, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #282 of 941
$1700.......this is bad. Headphone makers will be as bad as Krell and McIntosh in a few years making stuff for only the uber-wealthy.
I know there is always a segment of society that can and will spend whatever it takes to own the "best". There is a place in the world for Bentleys and Patek Philippes, but I've thought many times how nice it is that the average Joe can afford the best headphones available. Not for long.

The new Senns and now the new Grado's are pointing to the end of the days when the bleeding edge of headphone audio is within reach of the majority of music lovers.

Feb 22, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #283 of 941
Last I checked both Grado and Sennheiser have extensive headphones in the less than $150 market, which is easily affordable by anyone with the desire to have one, even if it takes some time.

Feb 22, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #284 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new Senns and now the new Grado's are pointing to the end of the days when the bleeding edge of headphone audio is within reach of the majority of music lovers.

Compared to a Stax SR-007II or an Orpheus, the PS1000 and HD800 are positively cheap.
eek.gif
Besides, you can get very fine-sounding headphones for a lot less money.

As much as the PS1000 makes me drool, I think I'll stick to my SR60 and DT770, thankyouverymuch. My next bout of upgradeitis will involve recording gear. "Sorry about your wallet" applies even more in that field than it does in headphones.
ph34r.gif

Feb 22, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #285 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Last I checked both Grado and Sennheiser have extensive headphones in the less than $150 market, which is easily affordable by anyone with the desire to have one, even if it takes some time.

I know that there will always be headphones that anyone can afford.

I'm talking about the top-shelf models.

It wasn't so long ago that Grado's premium headphone was $695 and came with a gorgeous mahogany case.

Now there's a Grand added to the price of admission to the flagship. And the case is another $75.

My point was that soon, only the rich will be able to afford the high-end of headphone audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back