Confession and rant: love my rs1 can't love my he500.
Dec 21, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #46 of 89
I'm on the same boat.  I don't see what the big deal is with the he500.  To me, they seem well-rounded, a good headphone overall but it doesn't amaze or wow me.

Going up the grado ladder, the GS-1000i seems a bit too airy and thin.  And the PS-1000 isn't worth it for what it sounds like.

I simply can't get enough or let go of my RS1-i.  They really fit the bill for what I listen to - metal, classic rock, classical.

I'm eyeing the hd800s as my next upgrade though after a few more auditions.

Dec 21, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #47 of 89
ps1000! 

i think they're every bit as good as the hd 800 and the t1

Dec 21, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #48 of 89
Quote:
You must have an amp with VERY LOW IMPEDENCE AND HIGH CURRENT OUTPUT... to properly match them.  If so, they are not excessively "bright," or "strident,"... and... they do not have bloated, thick bass, or mids... and... they do have soundstage.  There are few phones that sound as much like "real live music"... when properly driven by a well matched amp.

I'm not very amp-savvy, but I own the Audio-gd NFB 15.1, and it seems to have just that - low impedence and high current output. From the spec page, it has a 2 ohm headphone output and a current output of about 3W for Grado headphones.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB15/NFB15EN_Specs.htm

It sure seems to make my SR60i sound better, anyway.

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #49 of 89
Quote:
Sorry guys for my communication breakdown; computer hard drive crash and rebuild threw me into chaos. Thanks to online backup and very slow download recovery, I'm back.
Hifimanrookie and rgs9200m:
I'm with you guys, the hd800 lack body and seem to shriek on solid state.
On tubes they really come to life with a lush full sound.
My RS1s on the Rsa raptor are a great combo.
Tubes for the gs1000 and ps1000 sound like a great move.
Jtinto: I've heard great things about the EAR amps, would like to audition, solid idea.
Unspool; I've come to favor the grado peak to the hd800 as well. However, I have been mesmerized by the hd800/Eddie current combo. A worthy contender but somewhat less impact and front row presence.
Chris langley and itshot: haven't thought of the magnums and never had a chance to audition. That's a new idea. T1s deserve a shot, they don't get enough props here it seems but I'm definitely curious as I really like my portable dt1350s. "What more do I want from the rs1?" Good question, I should have elaborated. More bass and breadth. Those qualities impressed me with the he500 but I missed the sparkle and shine of the rs1. The lcd3 seemed much closer to this concept than the he6 to me.
Biscuitz: solid intel on the magnums, please keep us posted on the v5, I really need to check those out. More info on the "i" grado updates would be interesting; did they really change the fundamentals or really just a more subtle tweak?
Sweden and rgs9200m; I'm afraid you're right on. I might have to ditch the dark star and get some high quality tubes. I've got an Rsa raptor and like it, but realize there's much more tube goodness out there. The lcd3 is very tempting as is the ps1000 and gs1000.
Maybe time for an extended audition of these from the cable library loaner program, so I can hear what you guys are talking about.
Wolfen68: very cool idea, balancing the rs1s could only add to the magic. Plus I've already resolved to keep them no matter what else I do, it's probably worth the investment. You got a great deal. I'm so attached to my semi-vintage rs1s that I couldn't trade them for another balanced pair, I'd have to upgrade mine.

When you mention the GS1000s, do you mean the ''old'' GS or the newer ''i'' mode, because i have heard both, and they sound different.

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #50 of 89
Quote:
That's just the problem Sweden. The PSs have a too-punchy bass that sounds exaggerated. It can be bloated.
And it's too vibrant, making it fatiguing.
Someone in the past here even called it vulgar (well, I wouldn't go that far, but I know what they were getting at).
I much prefer the GS which is lively but still even-handed from top to bottom. I just love the GS1000i.

Not only are the PS1000s vulgar, but have you seen the size of those chrome hearings their wearing, i mean, they look down right slutty.

Seriously tough, where do peoples get this stuff, Oh well!, i guess i must like vulgar.

Dec 22, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #51 of 89
Quote:

Not only are the PS1000s vulgar, but have you seen the size of those chrome hearings their wearing, i mean, they look down right slutty.

Seriously tough, where do peoples get this stuff, Oh well!, i guess i must like vulgar.

Haha, I guess I'm a vulgar kind of guy who like things a bit slutty too.
regular_smile .gif

That could be my head-fi catchphrase if it wasn't for head-fi mods persecuting anything that isn't "family oriented"
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 22, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #52 of 89
Absolutely!

Until you've mated Grados with an amp that matches their electrical properties... you haven't heard them - not even close.  The DV amps do not... I repeat... DO NOT match Grados electrical properties - NOT EVEN CLOSE!  

You must have an amp with VERY LOW IMPEDENCE AND HIGH CURRENT OUTPUT... to properly match them.  If so, they are not excessively "bright," or "strident,"... and... they do not have bloated, thick bass, or mids... and... they do have soundstage.  There are few phones that sound as much like "real live music"... when properly driven by a well matched amp.  

The same is true of other low impedence phones, such as Denons and ATH's.  

One of the best amps I've heard with these phones is the MF X-CAN v8 - which matches them perfectly... but... it doesn't match higher impedence phones well (Senns), unlike the other MF amps.  

But, by all means, don't mislead other novices with statements that Grados are excessively "bright," or "strident," or have bloated, flabby bass... when you haven't really heard them.  

Sorry but what are DV amps?

Dec 22, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #53 of 89
I'm on the same boat.  I don't see what the big deal is with the he500.  To me, they seem well-rounded, a good headphone overall but it doesn't amaze or wow me.

Going up the grado ladder, the GS-1000i seems a bit too airy and thin.  And the PS-1000 isn't worth it for what it sounds like.

I simply can't get enough or let go of my RS1-i.  They really fit the bill for what I listen to - metal, classic rock, classical.

I'm eyeing the hd800s as my next upgrade though after a few more auditions.

Nice to see others going through the same thing. For me ears, tubes will be essential with the hd800s.

Dec 22, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #54 of 89
When you mention the GS1000s, do you mean the ''old'' GS or the newer ''i'' mode, because i have heard both, and they sound different.

I am very interested in the difference between old and new "I" versions.
I'm not sure which I was listening to, to be honest.
Any thoughts here would be helpful, especially since I'd like to buy used.

Dec 22, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #55 of 89
Sorry but what are DV amps?

The brand: Darkvoice
And i agree..hd800 dont match at all with the 337 i have..but..it did pair nice with some grados (325)..but then again..the 337 (and his brother lafigaro 339) is the only tube amp i know not being rediculusly expensive pairing brillantly with the he500 or the hd650 or some grado's. The smaller 332/3322/336 amps are a very bad match for any hifiman or any hard to drive headphone..i agree.

Dec 22, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #56 of 89
Quote:
I am very interested in the difference between old and new "I" versions.
I'm not sure which I was listening to, to be honest.
Any thoughts here would be helpful, especially since I'd like to buy used.

I don't want to derail this thread, but since you're the one asking, i find that the old GS have a bigger soundstage than the ''i'' model, but with the newer GS the bass is a bit deeper and cleaner, the mids have been brought closer, (altough not RS1i close), and the highs are not only better detailed but they also sound sweeter, and are more forgiving of overly bright recordings.

As far as i'm concerned, i'd pick the ''i'' version, i believe that sacrificing a bit of soundstage width to get an overall more refined sound, is definately worth it, also, i've noticed that the GS are often overlooked, and that's too bad, because their price vs performance ratio is pretty good, especialy compared to the PS1000s.

Hope this helps.

Dec 23, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #58 of 89
What stacker just said goes for me too, exactly.
The GSs are definitely worth considering as a phone, even among those who may be prejudiced against Grados. All Grados are not alike.

Dec 23, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #59 of 89
Quote:

That is their strength. They are well-rounded and perform well, but not exceptionally, in most aspects. That coupled with their forgiving neutral-warm tonality means they are a natural upgrade to HD650 (which are preferred over flagships by many, also for their well-roundedness).

People can find things to complain about every headphone, even the most well-regarded TOTL ones (e.g. you could spot a few threads complaining about SR009's slight brightness here, as an example of many). Headphones along the lines of HD650 and HE500s are rare in that you just put them on and have the music take its course without being distracted by the headphones' strengths and flaws, because they sound so "average", nice and smooth.

That is a really attractive trait to many, who just want a pair of headphones that make them not having to pay attention to the headphones when they are using them.

Dec 23, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #60 of 89
The only thing that surprises me on this thread with all the talk of treble, is that no-one one has mentioned how good the HE500's treble is? In my experience of owning both RS1 and HE500 and really loving them both. The hifimans really do wipe the floor with the Grado's in the treble department. Yes the Grado's do add a nice edge when they exaggerate the texture of electric guitar for instance (maybe J Cash's voice too?), but really.. Try listening to acoustic instruments and then if anyone cannot hear which is more life-like and natural between the two, then I'm afraid they must have some hearing damage. I didn't find the treble on the RS1's that bright, but for me it was the hardness that is there in the upper mids and this made the timbre of acoustic instruments sound artificial. I appreciate what the Grado's do but I couldn't say they were better than the HE500's with SQ. I used my RS1's as a fun phone for portable use once I got the hifimans, as I couldn't use them for serious listening anymore.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back