Confession and rant: love my rs1 can't love my he500.
Dec 25, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #76 of 89
Quote:

"I think I'll wait till someone can show me a photo of sound waves bouncing around pleather pads.  " Whatever you say bro.

You mean you haven't got one? You've let me down, jerg.

tongue.gif

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #78 of 89
I've been listening to the HE-500 for a couple days now, and my initial impressions are that it sounds a little too polite for genres such as rock and metal. The sound is so smooth that it fails to convey any aggression to the music, apart from the nice tight bass. But the mids are too dark and the treble too polite for rock and metal in my opinion...

For other genres like jazz and anything electronic, I find they sound great!

The sheer smoothness of the sound is addictive though...perhaps this is what people mean by "grain-free" sound? It's the least fatiguing pair of headphones I've listened to. That in and of itself is addictive.

Dec 26, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #79 of 89
Not to high jack OP's thread (I hope he doesn't mind)....I'm considering adding a Grado to my lineup. Was really considering the GS1000i, but they seem to get a lot of flack. I keep reading over and over again that the RS1's are the best Grado.

Unfortunately, I can't audition as I don't have a store close to me. I will say this, I've tried the SR-60 all the way up to the SR-325i. Generally, I find the Grado to be a bit too bright (I have sensitive ears. For instance, the HD-800/700 gave me ringing/burning like no other business).  All this said, I've always appreciated the Grado sound. And want to have one in my lineup, to give me some variety when switching between Cans (My current lineup is: HD-600, LCD-2) 

So I guess I'm wondering, what is the most tame (not bright) out of the PS-500, RS1i, GS1000i and the PS1000. I'm considering one of these cans. For reference, I found the 325 too harsh. So what is on the opposite end of that?

Dec 26, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #80 of 89
Quote:
Not to high jack OP's thread (I hope he doesn't mind)....I'm considering adding a Grado to my lineup. Was really considering the GS1000i, but they seem to get a lot of flack. I keep reading over and over again that the RS1's are the best Grado.

Unfortunately, I can't audition as I don't have a store close to me. I will say this, I've tried the SR-60 all the way up to the SR-325i. Generally, I find the Grado to be a bit too bright (I have sensitive ears. For instance, the HD-800/700 gave me ringing/burning like no other business).  All this said, I've always appreciated the Grado sound. And want to have one in my lineup, to give me some variety when switching between Cans (My current lineup is: HD-600, LCD-2) 

So I guess I'm wondering, what is the most tame (not bright) out of the PS-500, RS1i, GS1000i and the PS1000. I'm considering one of these cans. For reference, I found the 325 too harsh. So what is on the opposite end of that?

the ps500 is considered the warmest along with the RS1i. 

i know the RS1i has smooth treble. 

the 325 is one of the brightest grados and can definitely be fatiguing especially at louder volumes

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #81 of 89
Quote:

In my opinion, if you find the PS500s too bright, you should forget about Grados alltogether.

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #82 of 89
The GS1000is have extended treble, but it seems lot further away (and is a little more subdued) compared to my RS1s, which DO seem too bright for me sometimes, and thus are not painful.
I felt the PS1000s had some annoying glare in lower treble and thus were, in a sense, too bright. So I recommend the GSs in this case. I never heard the PS500s.
I also have issues with the HD800s, so I know where you're coming from.

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #83 of 89
I've been listening to the HE-500 for a couple days now, and my initial impressions are that it sounds a little too polite for genres such as rock and metal. The sound is so smooth that it fails to convey any aggression to the music, apart from the nice tight bass. But the mids are too dark and the treble too polite for rock and metal in my opinion...

For other genres like jazz and anything electronic, I find they sound great!

The sheer smoothness of the sound is addictive though...perhaps this is what people mean by "grain-free" sound? It's the least fatiguing pair of headphones I've listened to. That in and of itself is addictive.

Did u listen to it with pleathers on or the velours pads? As the pleathers tend to make the he500 sound a bit dark.

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #84 of 89
Quote:
The GS1000is have extended treble, but it seems lot further away (and is a little more subdued) compared to my RS1s, which DO seem too bright for me sometimes, and thus are not painful.
I felt the PS1000s had some annoying glare in lower treble and thus were, in a sense, too bright. So I recommend the GSs in this case. I never heard the PS500s.
I also have issues with the HD800s, so I know where you're coming from.

Thanks for the opinions guys. I understand that my post is kind of a contradiction. MY EARS are sensitive, and I don't like bright headphones. Yet..I still like the forward/aggressive sound. You know, sometimes you just want that raw kick ass sound. It's more so, what my Physical Ears can/can't tolerate. 

That's why I was asking which one was the most warm/toned down. I was going to have it be a rotation in my lineup, and I would also EQ the treble if need me (if it's that much of an issue). The only Grado that really bugged me was the 325i.

I like the idea of the GS1000is having pushed back treble. Is this why some folks don't like the GS1000's? (Because it kind of abandons the normal Grado Sound Sig?) I think they might be worth looking into, given my hearing preferences. But damn am I torn on the RS1is and PS500. They get much better praise than the GS1000is. 

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #85 of 89
Quote:
Did u listen to it with pleathers on or the velours pads? As the pleathers tend to make the he500 sound a bit dark.

^ This. Pleathers make HE500s sound cozy and lounge-y, while velours give it a bit more bite and upper frequency energy.

Dec 27, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #86 of 89
Quote:

I think you'd be happy with the RS1i's. Yes they are still bright but not as fatiguing as say the 325's or 225's. They have that lovely warm/bright character!

Dec 27, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #87 of 89
Quote:
But damn am I torn on the RS1is and PS500. They get much better praise than the GS1000is.

If you lean towards a warmer and less aggressive sound, but want that Grado character, the PS500 or HF2 is the way to go. My understanding is that those two are very similar.  I own the HF2, and while I prefer my RS-1, IMO the HF2 has a more widely appealing sound to the average listener right off the bat. 

Dec 27, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #88 of 89
Quote:

If you lean towards a warmer and less aggressive sound, but want that Grado character, the PS500 or HF2 is the way to go. My understanding is that those two are very similar.  I own the HF2, and while I prefer my RS-1, IMO the HF2 has a more widely appealing sound to the average listener right off the bat. 

Thanks. I'll look around for someone selling the HF2 - and if I can't find it, I'll probably just pull the trigger on the PS500's (as they are similar). 

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #89 of 89
Quote:

Thanks. I'll look around for someone selling the HF2 - and if I can't find it, I'll probably just pull the trigger on the PS500's (as they are similar). 

I own GS1000 and PS1000 and i have heard the newer GS ''i'' model and all are sound brighter than the PS500s.

Some believe that he HF2 and PS500 might be one and the same,i don't know, i haven't heard the HF2, but i did compare the RS1i and PS500 on my own sound system, and trust me, the difference is not subtle, if you're sensitive to high frequencys, the PS500 are definately the Grados with the most polite treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back