Confession and rant: love my rs1 can't love my he500.
Dec 11, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #16 of 89
10 grand for a Stax 009 system? 
Nah... $4,138 for them from Price Japan, and $2200-2400 for a 727 or 007t amp (my favorite) right from StaxUSA/Yamasinc.
Great sound from this (it's what I have).

That is much cheaper than the more expensive alternatives that populate this forum.
Why don't Stax amps get as much praise and attention as the other alternatives?

Dec 12, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #18 of 89
And with good reason.
wink.gif
There are headphones with darker presentations - the LCD2 comes to mind, and then there are Grados, which are brighter. It's a description rather than a criticism.

Dec 12, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #20 of 89
I really like my RS1s also (I've had them for 10 years now).
If you like them, I bet you would love GS1000is (I got some and I do. They are a *better* RS1. The highs are sweeter and more liquid and natural.
And the imaging is better, much better; world class. Comfort is world class too.).
Skip the PS1000s.

Dec 13, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #22 of 89
Quote:
Don't you find the GS1000i's mids recessed compared to the RS1? I think the PS1000 improves upon the GS1000i in that area; making it sound more complete.

The original GS1000s yes, but I was pleasantly surprised that the new i version is not that way at all.
The PSs had too bloated bass and some glare and peakiness.
The GSs are great to me now.

Dec 13, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #25 of 89
Quote:
The original GS1000s yes, but I was pleasantly surprised that the new i version is not that way at all.
The PSs had too bloated bass and some glare and peakiness.
The GSs are great to me now.

My impression is based on hearing the GS1000i. It had an even more spacious and crisper presentation than the PS1000. It sounded decidely v shaped, whereas the PS1000 sounded fuller - putting more meat on the bones. Both have accentuated treble but it's very smooth. I didn't notice marked differences in the bass presentation. Neither have the RS1i's mids but the PS1000 comes closer IMO.
smile.gif

Dec 14, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #27 of 89
Grados aren't bright?  I'm a fan of them too but let's not kid ourselves. They most definitely have a bright presentation and the frequency response measurements confirm it. :smile:

+1 the grados are for sure the most bright headphones i ever heard in my life..people who like/customed to that will never ever like the he6/he500..as happy camper said..try other amps..i have a very simple built and pure but strong 337 and it sings with the he500..on a meet i attended 2 months ago even 2 hardcore grado fans(am not kidding!) loved how the he500 sounded..and yeah they were extremely surprised! They thought it would sound muddy and dark compared to their grados...
I have to say i do have rather special very detailed and opensounding tubes in my 337..one even said my 337 almost didnt sound tubey at all :D

I just wanna say that the he series very much depend on the amps u use..on that meet there was a seller and i tried the complete lineup of musical fidelity amps and all the burson lineup, and a woo audio wa5..but on my simple 337 it sounded the most natural. And i was not only one on that meet who felt the same..but as i said.if u like the bright signature of a grado..u wont like anything else imho

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #28 of 89
My GS1000is sound less "bright" than my HD800s. Somehow the Grado's highs are sweet and inviting all the time whereas the HD800's highs on brighter recordings can be shrill or abrasive.

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #29 of 89
My GS1000is sound less "bright" than my HD800s. Somehow the Grado's highs are sweet and inviting all the time whereas the HD800's highs on brighter recordings can be shrill or abrasive.

Ur maybe right..but still..its very bright..but the hd800 is very unforgiving! what goes in..comes out..with a warm amp it sounds warm (well sort of :D ).but a colder amp it can sound shrill...it really need a very good amp to sound on its best..but still both the grado and sennheiser are great phones..but i prefer the warmer sounding he series. Imho ofcourse :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back