Concerns HD800
Jul 28, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #121 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by | Scorpio | /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also listened to both the L3000 and HD800 at the Seattle meet yesterday, and they really are just different flavors of headphones. I prefer the HD800, but that's not to say that the L3000 was bad. Not at all. I wish I could of had more time to listen to both, though. I was only able to listen to about two songs on each, as both were in very high demand at the meet.

Yeah, seems to be a matter of preference. I like a fun headphone and listen mostly to alternative rock. Not a fan of the overly neutral headphone and that also goes for the HP-2, although I'd take that headphone over the HD800.

At one point we were listening to some rap on the owners setup (Phonitor/XA5400ES) and didn't feel the HD800 fared well at all. Really showed how the bass was lacking.

I somehow did get to spend a good amount of time with them. Tried them on three different setups and a variety of genres. Also got to do a lot of back and forth with the L3000. Other than the HF-2, I didn't get to try much more at the meet but at least I got to focus on the ones I really wanted to hear.

Yeah, these are just my opinions and should only be taken as that. Some of the other members agreed with me but they already preferred warmer headphones like Audio Technica or Grado. I could tell a lot of other members really did enjoy HD800 by the look on their face.

Jul 28, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #122 of 187
iamoneagain: That makes sense, as (and I hate to say it) like the K701s, they shine best with classical or jazz. I wouldn't buy HD-800s to listen to rap. I think what's almost always forgotten when giving impressions is to mention the music listened to, as that will change one's opinions of a headphone considerably.

Jul 28, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #123 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, that's a bit of bad advice, though well-intended. Granted, mine were only single-ended, and perhaps my amp/source experiments were too limited to get a handle on what they could really do, but after spending nearly a month with them, I prefer three of my headphones to them. I think the HD800s are excellent headphones, but not everyone is going to share the view that they're the best thing ever. Best to hang on to the headphones you have if you love them, and sell after you try out the 800s.

As Skylab mentioned this is very wise advice. I've owned a ton of headphones and sometimes I keep going back to the same ones after I sold them. I own both HD800 and R10s, among a few others. Do I think the HD800 is the end all headphone? Definitely not for me. Everyone is different in their opinions as we all have different ears, likes and dislikes, and different music genres we love to listen to. In my experience, some headphones perform better with different genres and of course different amps and equipment as jfkbike found out. Right now in comparing my headphones with the HD800s, I've found it performs beautifully with some of my music genres and not so well in others. This is not to say that the HD800s aren't a great pair of headphones. I think it is a fabulous can, but again there are some other cans that I love because they do well with other types of music that the HD800 IMHO doesn't perform well. Of course that will vary from person to person, but in the long run I still like different cans for different types of music and the sound those cans bring to the music.

Jul 28, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #124 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iamoneagain: That makes sense, as (and I hate to say it) like the K701s, they shine best with classical or jazz. I wouldn't buy HD-800s to listen to rap. I think what's almost always forgotten when giving impressions is to mention the music listened to, as that will change one's opinions of a headphone considerably.

Some the other stuff I tried was Radiohead, the Police, New Order, and Buena Vista Social Club. Didn't really care for the HD800 on any of that. As I said, it was enjoyable but I was somehow removed from the music. It was more of a mental enjoyment. I put the L3000 on and the music just took over. I didn't see the point of breaking down the parts. Even if I found, lets say the vocals to be smoother, the sum of the parts didn't add up for me.

Jul 28, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #125 of 187
btw, negative reviews of multiple headphones done by one person is much better than thousand praising ones...
"guess why?"

i spent few years for search of "Good enough" headphone for me... did listen wide variety of different phones and then did read reviews and their "bad characteristics" and figured i what need to try and oh my..

uh oh, and for those who naively think manufacturers/sellers doesn't pollute forums.

please re-think they even use youtube for uploading tv-series&link to forums and gain free marketing, done pretty widely in comedy series as few jokes won't spoil whole series.

tho when it comes direct accusations you should have some evi*cough*dence, but then again response in this thread has show there truly is such naive people and it works just fine wake up call to modern marketing done via internet, can be done without you even knowing it's "possibly" marketing&hence being bit dangerous.

matter of affecting content on internet forum is trivial&cost few hours of typing&tracing&provin it's actually marketing is pretty much impossible.

Jul 28, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #126 of 187
^ I say trust your own ears, learn how to separate the BS, and you'll be fine.

Yeah, and take everything you read with a grain of salt...

Jul 28, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #127 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamoneagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some the other stuff I tried was Radiohead, the Police, New Order, and Buena Vista Social Club. Didn't really care for the HD800 on any of that. As I said, it was enjoyable but I was somehow removed from the music. It was more of a mental enjoyment. I put the L3000 on and the music just took over. I didn't see the point of breaking down the parts. Even if I found, lets say the vocals to be smoother, the sum of the parts didn't add up for me.

Just goes to show you we all have very different perceptions of sound. I think the L3000 are one of the worst phones I've ever heard. I also thought the same of the HD800 until I found excellent synergy with them. What amp and source did you hear the HD800 and L3000 on?

Jul 28, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #128 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamoneagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Did you audition these phones in the setup as described on your signature, with iMac as source?

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #129 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you audition these phones in the setup as described on your signature, with iMac as source?

I tried them thru the DHA300, Woo Audio WA6SE/PS Audio Digital Link III, and a Phonitor/XA5400ES setup. My DHA3000 is a amp/DAC combo so the iMac is really a transport.

I'm surprised someone would think the L3000 is the worse headphone they've heard. I could be wrong but it seemed everone at the meet at least enjoyed it thru the DHA3000. Some though it was the best and other placed it right behind the HD800.

Not even sure what I think the worst headphone is. Most are enjoyable but some are better than others. I preferred Grados for a while and now like the Audio Technica models better.

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #130 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if transformer-coupled triodes might be the path to glory with the HD-800.

Not just any transformer coupled triode amp, if my experience with the HD 800 and the Elekit TU-882 are any indication. Uncontrolled sibilance and overly bright. In no way musical. PRAT MIA. Interestingly, the HD 650 is a great pairing with this amp.

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #131 of 187
The more I read these HD800 threads, the less I think I have a handle on what they actually sound like. I really have to listen to a pair for myself.

As a polarizing headphone, the Qualia 010's have nothing on the HD800's!
tongue.gif

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #132 of 187
Yup - they are either absolutely perfect, a huge disappointment, or somewhere in between
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jul 28, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #133 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The more I read these HD800 threads, the less I think I have a handle on what they actually sound like. I really have to listen to a pair for myself.

As a polarizing headphone, the Qualia 010's have nothing on the HD800's!
tongue.gif

I know, there I still haven't been able to decide whether or not I am supposed to like or hate them. I really hope this settles down soon so I know which bandwagon to get behind.

Jul 28, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #134 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know, there I still haven't been able to decide whether or not I am supposed to like or hate them. I really hope this settles down soon so I know which bandwagon to get behind.

You don't need to get behind any bandwagon, just your own ears. They took time to grow on me because I was used to my modded Denon D5000 which were extremely bright. In addition, the amp I used to have was a poor match for them. So if you aren't willing to switch out some or all of the components in your system, chances are the HD800 won't sound good to you.

Jul 28, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #135 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Their personality is indeed very difficult to resolve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back