Concerns HD800
Jul 24, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #106 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but like so much gear I end up loving, the impressive qualities don't leap out at you immediately, and you have take some time to, well, listen into it, for lack of knowing a better way to say it. Hope that makes some sense to someone.

Makes sense to me.

Peace,

Lee

Jul 24, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #107 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah. Well if that's the only difference than a 4-channel should suffice.

But then some people say they have a 5-channel. What's the point of that?

6 channel lets you drive 2 single-ended headphones with active ground. 5 channel only allows you to drive one single-ended headphone with active ground.

Jul 24, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #109 of 187
Quote:

+ fully balanced, correct?

yup...so if you only listen balanced you only need 4 boards. You can still drive 2 SE headphones without active ground in a 4 board configuration.

Jul 26, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #110 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should read the impression thread of the LA mini mega meet that we held 2 days ago. Here's my impression of it:

I have the same impression of it running on my Phoenix as I did in Canjam when it was ran on the Zana Deux. The DT48 has a couple of things going for them but they really aren't that special. It's extremely closed in sounding and has a below average soundstage as if I was listening to music inside a tiny box. Treble and bass was clearly rolled off. However, it's got a couple of things going for them that's very good: clarity, speed, detail, and mids. At the end of the day though, I'm not very impressed by the DT48.

To the OP: The Qualia10 that I heard at Canjam out of the RSA Apache was horrendous. Like the SA5000, the Qualia got many great qualities but tonality was just so off that it's ridiculous. They both got this plasticky tone and a few that I've talked to agreed with me. So at the very least, the HD800's tonality isn't way off and that's a heck of a good start for any headphone.

Umm.. In the large DT48 thread you said you were impressed by them? The midrange & seperation? What happened?

Jul 26, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #111 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Umm.. In the large DT48 thread you said you were impressed by them? The midrange & seperation? What happened?

I was stilled impressed by the midrange and separation which I did mention in the post you quoted, but not impressed by the overall product.
wink.gif

Jul 26, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #112 of 187
Quote:

Ah. Well if that's the only difference than a 4-channel should suffice.

But then some people say they have a 5-channel. What's the point of that?

The ground channel board in a 3 channel B22 has a different gain configuration than the driven channels. A ground channel board can't be used for one of the boards in a 4 channel balanced or 2 channel passive ground configuration. If you want to have an amp with the choice between 4 board balanced or 3 board active ground, you have to add a board configured for ground channel for each 3 channel. Adding one ground board (5 boards total)gives the option of 3 channel active ground to a balanced B22. Adding 2 ground boards (6 total) gives the option of 2 independant 3 channel outputs.

A 5 board B22 is the simpliest configuration that allows for all 3 options; 4 board balanced, 3 board active ground or 2 board passive single ended.

Jul 26, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #113 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by bada bing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ground channel board in a 3 channel B22 has a different gain configuration than the driven channels. A ground channel board can't be used for one of the boards in a 4 channel balanced or 2 channel passive ground configuration. If you want to have an amp with the choice between 4 board balanced or 3 board active ground, you have to add a board configured for ground channel for each 3 channel. Adding one ground board (5 boards total)gives the option of 3 channel active ground to a balanced B22. Adding 2 ground boards (6 total) gives the option of 2 independant 3 channel outputs.

A 5 board B22 is the simpliest configuration that allows for all 3 options; 4 board balanced, 3 board active ground or 2 board passive single ended.

Thank you for the informative post.
smily_headphones1.gif
That's exactly what I wanted to know.

Jul 26, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #114 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfkbike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not get the love feast over the HD800's

UPDATE. I do now! I have spent all weekend playing with my system and sources. Bottom line the m902 is the problem. I hooked up the Wadia to a PS Audio (modified) Digilink DAC and then to the SinglePower and what a difference. I was skeptical as to the comments on what an amp can do but I am a believer now. I have played with two CD sources (Spectral and Arye), through both amps, as well as the Wadia i170 and all kick butt through the SinglePower vs. the Grace. The HD800's are much more detailed, easier to listen to for long periods, better tighter bass and superior imaging than the Sony's in this setup. This is what I originally expected! I am a happy camper now and am sorry for casting doubts upon the HD800's originally.

Jul 26, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #115 of 187
Quote:

UPDATE. I do now! I have spent all weekend playing with my system and sources. Bottom line the m902 is the problem. I hooked up the Wadia to a PS Audio (modified) Digilink DAC and then to the SinglePower and what a difference. I was skeptical as to the comments on what an amp can do but I am a believer now. I have played with two CD sources (Spectral and Arye), through both amps, as well as the Wadia i170 and all kick butt through the SinglePower vs. the Grace. The HD800's are much more detailed, easier to listen to for long periods, better tighter bass and superior imaging than the Sony's in this setup. This is what I originally expected! I am a happy camper now and am sorry for casting doubts upon the HD800's originally.

The modded DL3 sounds amazing with the HD800. I am in fact concerned that the Reference One DAC will not have the same synergy, that it might be too neutral.

Try listening to them balanced.
wink.gif

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #116 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrOutside /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree entirely.
I also think the 800s are eclipsed by the l3000 and r10. I have not spent enough time with a k1000 to talk on the matter more

Finally got to hear the HD800's at the Seattle meet yesterday and agree that the are L3000 definitely better. The HD800 has great separation, smooth vocals, and lots of detail. The problem is the overall sound is a little dry and somewhat cold. It doesn't do a good job of capturing PRAT (Pace, Rhythm, Attack, Timing). It's not quite an analytical headphone but compared to the L3000, it is. It doesn't have any sweetness to the sound. Felt it was missing some texture in the lower regions too. I was surprised that the soundstage didn't seem much bigger than the L3000.

Ok, now I have to hear the PS1000 and see how it compares.

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #117 of 187
Quote:

Interesting.

This seems to be a common theme lately...
Amps definately play a role in getting the best out of the HD 800. Haven't played around with sources and whatnot...haven't had time.

Also, Grace has had mixed thoughts and impressions as well...interesting stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamoneagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally got to hear the HD800's at the Seattle meet yesterday and agree that the are L3000 definitely better. The HD800 has great separation, smooth vocals, and lots of detail. The problem is the overall sound is a little dry and somewhat cold. It doesn't do a good job of capturing PRAT (Pace, Rhythm, Attack, Timing). It's not quite an analytical headphone but compared to the L3000, it is. It doesn't have any sweetness to the sound. Felt it was missing some texture in the lower regions too. I was surprised that the soundstage didn't seem much bigger than the L3000.

Ok, now I have to hear the PS1000 and see how it compares.

I didn't need to hear that...

A couple of months ago, I was almost the owner of a pair, but it just wasn't meant to be. Now I see you saying that the L3000's are better...? That has to be the first time I've seen anyone say that.

L3000 vs. HD 800 apples vs. oranges or so I thought.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on the PS 1000.

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #118 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snacks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting.

This seems to be a common theme lately...
Amps definately play a role in getting the best out of the HD 800. Haven't played around with sources and whatnot...haven't had time.

Also, Grace has had mixed thoughts and impressions as well...interesting stuff.

I didn't need to hear that...

A couple of months ago, I was almost the owner of a pair, but it just wasn't meant to be. Now I see you saying that the L3000's are better...? That has to be the first time I've seen anyone say that.

L3000 vs. HD 800 apples vs. oranges or so I thought.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on the PS 1000.

I also listened to both the L3000 and HD800 at the Seattle meet yesterday, and they really are just different flavors of headphones. I prefer the HD800, but that's not to say that the L3000 was bad. Not at all. I wish I could of had more time to listen to both, though. I was only able to listen to about two songs on each, as both were in very high demand at the meet.

Jul 28, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #120 of 187
Quote:

Ya, I love them thru the Zana Duex too, and i am still waiting on my DLlll to be modded, waiting for the clock at the modder. DLllls been over there since July 6 and it still isn't in.
frown.gif
But it is supposed to come this week so crossing my fingers to get the system to where i want it. Glad to hear that you like it like that since mine will be similar DLlll->Tubes->HD800

Users who are viewing this thread

Back