Comply tips sound Awful on TF10?
Mar 7, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #16 of 42
Bump... any ideas? (or more info on Sony hybrids)
and... I tried the comply tips backwards, and they're a lot better, but the sound is STILL better on the medium silicone tips.

If you buy the Sony hybrid tips, do you get all the sizes. And what are they 'actually' called? So I can look on Play or Amazon UK.

Cheers guys, hope you can give me some more info.
Since they are 'hybrids' - I'm guessing they're like a mix of a consistency of foam and silicone; how long will they last with this compound?

Mar 7, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #17 of 42
It's Sony EPEX10A.
There are black and white kinds.
The hybrid refers to two different stiffness of polymers or silicones.

Mar 7, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #18 of 42
They come in a set (4 sizes from tiny to huge). Don't be afraid to try different size tips, even different size tips in each ear. I found that a medium fits my left ear, but I need a large one in my right ear (large slips out of my left ear).

Mar 7, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #19 of 42
Well, I don't mind buying them.
But are you sure they sound as good as the medium silicone tips if not better?
I don't just want them to sound better than the comply tips (which don't really sound very good at all [in my opinion of course though, and may others']) but want them to sound AS good as the medium silicone tips.

Do the Sony Hybrids fit on as "bog standard", or are there any special stretching or mods I have to do? If need-be I guess okay... but I don't want to damage anything, and would prefer something that works straight 'out-of-the-box'.

Mar 7, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #21 of 42
What I found was the comply foam only makes it sound bad because the foam folds over and covers the opening in your ear if you just stuff it in.  If you just (while the foam is cold and harder) push it back flush with the nozzle and squeeze it back as much as you can before inserting, they stay away from the nozzle and you get the comfort of comply and the sound of the regular tips. 

Mar 10, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #22 of 42
^ 100% agree. I can't get a fit with the stock silicone tips, but have no problems with the comply. Just make sure the foam isn't covering the bore openings and I can't complain. Not sure what I"ll do in the future though because I dislike how expensive the comply's are.

Segue: the UE TF10 are so big... They don't hurt me fit wise, but they definitely stick out :p 

Mar 10, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #23 of 42
ok.you want to make the TF10 pro tolerable ?

Get rid of the stock cables, get some westone or custom cables. not because of sound quality. the cable is heavy and stiff.

if you´re in the US and you can get  Monster SuperTips off amazon for alot less then the 30 buck list price. get them
http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Cable-Supertips-SuperTips-audiophile/dp/B004N4VZ6C/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1299802381&sr=8-10

Mar 10, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #24 of 42

Quote:
What I found was the comply foam only makes it sound bad because the foam folds over and covers the opening in your ear if you just stuff it in.  If you just (while the foam is cold and harder) push it back flush with the nozzle and squeeze it back as much as you can before inserting, they stay away from the nozzle and you get the comfort of comply and the sound of the regular tips. 

I just tried this yesterday, and it worked like a miracle. Complys are comfortable, have great isolation, and now they don't sound like crap! 
etysmile.gif
 Now I'm actually debating whether the Sony Hybrids or the Complys sound better, they're that close.

Mar 10, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #25 of 42
Why don't you try these Audio Technica tips out?

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Audio-Technica-EP-FT5-Foam-Eartips-Sleeves-5-Pair_W0QQitemZ120617223139QQcategoryZ31534QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D1%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7648900452241239653

I know the tips are kinda long but you can cut it shorter. The seal to me is the same as comply but doesn't change the sound as much, also it's a perfect fit to TF10 nozzle. I have been using a pair with my TF10 since July and still going strong 
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #26 of 42

Quote:
Why don't you try these Audio Technica tips out?

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Audio-Technica-EP-FT5-Foam-Eartips-Sleeves-5-Pair_W0QQitemZ120617223139QQcategoryZ31534QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D1%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7648900452241239653

I know the tips are kinda long but you can cut it shorter. The seal to me is the same as comply but doesn't change the sound as much, also it's a perfect fit to TF10 nozzle. I have been using a pair with my TF10 since July and still going strong 
biggrin.gif

Didn't know Audio Technica makes foam tips as well.
So how does it compare with Shure olives, other than the fact that it's for bigger nozzles?  Is it about Comply T400 or T500's size?

Mar 10, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #27 of 42

Quote:
Didn't know Audio Technica makes foam tips as well.
So how does it compare with Shure olives, other than the fact that it's for bigger nozzles?  Is it about Comply T400 or T500's size?

I don't have Shure olives so i can't say anything about them
frown.gif
. But i actually did a head to head comparison with the Comply a while back. Here's the link:
AT tips vs Comply
Overall i like the AT tips better since it's easier to clean and more durable. I've been using mine for 9 months and still achieve the same seal every time
ksc75smile.gif

Mar 11, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #28 of 42

Wow that long? I'll have to check into this then. Is the mod kind of like cutting the P-series comply (trim the overhand down to the core)?
Quote:
I don't have Shure olives so i can't say anything about them
frown.gif
. But i actually did a head to head comparison with the Comply a while back. Here's the link:
AT tips vs Comply
Overall i like the AT tips better since it's easier to clean and more durable. I've been using mine for 9 months and still achieve the same seal every time
ksc75smile.gif

Mar 14, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #29 of 42
Great "tip" on turning the Complys round - wonderful difference; fits great both on TF10 and in ears & you don't lose the detailed top end. Oh, and it's easy on the old wallet. Thank you 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back