Complementary Headphones for the M50
Jul 12, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #16 of 18

Quote:
 I think I leaned to appreciate my headphones by listening to them a lot. Initially I was let down by the m50s due to the crazy hype over them, they are definitely overrated,

Heya,

I think the reason most people are disappointed by sound is that they're expecting colored sound that blows them away, like lush warm mids and light but sharp highs with impactful bass. Then they realize they're just hearing a more neutral sound and flatter response. If you take the M50, or any headphone like it for that matter, that isn't terribly colored towards a frequency range, and simply adjust the EQ a bit, it suddenly sounds quite like a different headphone. Some people just need that change in response. But I agree, the M50's are always suggested, always talked about, they are basically flavor of the year type thing. They're not bad headphones, they're quite good for the price (when had at the $120-range). But they sometimes get talked about like they're giant killers when they're not (unless we're talking giant price tags... of beats, hah, had to throw that in there).

Very best,

Jul 17, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #17 of 18

Quote:
Just because you don't like them doesn't mean that they're overrated. It really ticks me off when people bash the M50 just because a) it's popular b) doesn't compare to their much more expensive headphones (honestly, this is a crap reason) and c) followed a couple of newbies who haven't tried another headphone and bought the M50 themselves without a second opinion.

All in all, the M50 is overhyped. Overrated only because of its 'newbie' following.

You're right, just because I don't like them doesn't make them overrated. But it seems like a lot of people give them more credit than they deserve is all.

Jul 17, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #18 of 18
Quote:
Heya,

I think the reason most people are disappointed by sound is that they're expecting colored sound that blows them away, like lush warm mids and light but sharp highs with impactful bass. Then they realize they're just hearing a more neutral sound and flatter response. If you take the M50, or any headphone like it for that matter, that isn't terribly colored towards a frequency range, and simply adjust the EQ a bit, it suddenly sounds quite like a different headphone. Some people just need that change in response. But I agree, the M50's are always suggested, always talked about, they are basically flavor of the year type thing. They're not bad headphones, they're quite good for the price (when had at the $120-range). But they sometimes get talked about like they're giant killers when they're not (unless we're talking giant price tags... of beats, hah, had to throw that in there).

Very best,

That's a very interesting point you bring up. I think the neutral sounding thing might apply more to newbies who are just getting into the world of higher end headphones, but less so to people who have more experience.

Everything else you said is spot on. Flavor of the year, good for the price, but definitely not giant killers. You speak the truth

Users who are viewing this thread

Back