Complementary Headphones for the M50
Jul 7, 2010 at 12:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

biomedengineer

New Head-Fier
I'm new to listening to quality headphones and when you're this new, it's hard to juggle the various jargon, models, model specific +'s and -'s that are spread across over hundreds of posts.

I ended up getting the M50 as my first quality headphone because I hear this is an all-around good headphone.  It's awesome so far.  But then I've read open phones have better soundstage and more accurately reproduces the sound, so that got me wondering what I'm missing.

My question are two folds:

1) What are the strengths are weaknesses of the M50?
2) Based on the above answer, what headphones in the $80-$140 range would you recommend that complements the M50, to help balance out what I'm otherwise missing?

Since I'm new to this, I wouldn't know what better soundstage is like, what's punchier than the M50, etc. 

I was intending to buy the MS-1 for its open design, but some critiques of it say the soundstage isn't that great.  Should I still get the MS-1, or is there another phone that will provide a new experience apart from the M50?

(Music tastes: vocal, instrumental, pop, classical)

Jul 7, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #2 of 18

Strengths- Bass and overall great sound
Weaknesses- Sound stage

2) Based on the above answer, what headphones in the $80-$140 range would you recommend that complements the M50, to help balance out what I'm otherwise missing?

Alessandro MS1, Beyer's , Grado 225's, or Grado 125. I got the Alessandro to compliment my ATH-M50's, but before you buy them I would recommend you demo them somewhere first

Jul 7, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #4 of 18
If you like the sound of the M50 why not stay in the family and check out the AD700?

The M50 do a good job of blocking outside noise but they can sound a tad bass-heavy and closed.

Bill

Jul 7, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 18
IMO either the MS1s or the AD700s will make good complementary headphones to the M50s.

Jul 7, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #6 of 18
You're doing a good thing, there's no substitute for experience with a variety of 'phones. It's difficult to interpret what other people say if you haven't heard enough stuff. 

Jul 8, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #7 of 18

Quote:

The AT AD700 is practically calling your name. They're a good deal different enough from the M50 to be a nice complement, and their soundstage is easily the widest i've heard at the $100 price point (they go for $90 in Amazon).

Jul 9, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #8 of 18
I used to have the M50's and bought the Alessandro MS-1's to "complement" them.

I guess I turned out to not being a fan of having different headphones to listen to - especially when they are so different.  When you take off one and listen to the other, it will sound terrible until your mind and ear has adjusted to them.  When you finally do adjust to them and switch back - the same thing will occur - what used to sound good will now sound strange.

At least by listening to a few different pairs of headphones I was able to decide what kind of sound I liked.  I sold everything I had and bought some HD600's.  I haven't looked back and don't plan on getting anything complementary.

Jul 9, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #10 of 18
I also recommend the AD700 to compliment for the soundstage, great price for what it does. All of my Jazz, Fusion, Classical, and very layered or light music sound amazing for the $85 I spent on them. For video gaming they also have great placement.

Jul 10, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #11 of 18

That's a good point; I can really see that happening to me.  If that happens, I'll switch headphones based on the types of songs that I'm listening to.  

Quote:

I guess I turned out to not being a fan of having different headphones to listen to - especially when they are so different.  When you take off one and listen to the other, it will sound terrible until your mind and ear has adjusted to them.  When you finally do adjust to them and switch back - the same thing will occur - what used to sound good will now sound strange.

At least by listening to a few different pairs of headphones I was able to decide what kind of sound I liked.  I sold everything I had and bought some HD600's.  I haven't looked back and don't plan on getting anything complementary.

Jul 12, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #12 of 18

Quote:

Good choice with the HD600's. I get that same feeling of the other headphones not sounding good when switching. I can't go from the HD600 to the M50's, but I can easily go the other way from M50 to HD600.

To answer the OP,
Strengths of the M50's:
closed, good isolation
bass for certain genres
excellent build quality and portable b/c foldable
look dang good
decent comfort

Weaknesses of the M50's:
bass for certain genres (don't like them for rock)
clarity isn't the best
highs could be better
kind of heavy

I think some people might disagree with my pro and con opinions, but these are just what i've noticed.

Jul 12, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #13 of 18

Quote:
I'm new to listening to quality headphones and when you're this new, it's hard to juggle the various jargon, models, model specific +'s and -'s that are spread across over hundreds of posts.

I ended up getting the M50 as my first quality headphone because I hear this is an all-around good headphone.  It's awesome so far.  But then I've read open phones have better soundstage and more accurately reproduces the sound, so that got me wondering what I'm missing.

My question are two folds:

Since I'm new to this, I wouldn't know what better soundstage is like, what's punchier than the M50, etc. 

I was intending to buy the MS-1 for its open design, but some critiques of it say the soundstage isn't that great.  Should I still get the MS-1, or is there another phone that will provide a new experience apart from the M50?

Heya,

1. M50 does everything decently. M50 doesn't do anything spectacular. Good price for entry point. The rest is absolutely up to the person (for example, I don't like the ear cups, they're not cloth and I don't like the look of the headphones).
2. You should spend a lot more time listening to the M50's and just soak it up. You're going to buy a lot of stuff and realize you threw money away. That said, get a Grado SR80i, they're in your price range. That will be a different experience for you. Otherwise, if you really want a different experience, your budget would need to extend. I suggest you hunt the for sale forum and just keep an eye there for something to crop up.

Very best,

Jul 12, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #14 of 18
Heya,

1. M50 does everything decently. M50 doesn't do anything spectacular. Good price for entry point. The rest is absolutely up to the person (for example, I don't like the ear cups, they're not cloth and I don't like the look of the headphones).
2. You should spend a lot more time listening to the M50's and just soak it up. You're going to buy a lot of stuff and realize you threw money away. That said, get a Grado SR80i, they're in your price range. That will be a different experience for you. Otherwise, if you really want a different experience, your budget would need to extend. I suggest you hunt the for sale forum and just keep an eye there for something to crop up.

Very best,

You make a good point. OP, if you're new to high end audio then I would recommend sitting with your headphones for a while to really appreciate them. What is your source? If you get a decent Dac like the fiio e7 that would help your headphones sound better. Make that jump and appreciate the improvement. Sit with that foe a while and then upgrade headphones. Just my 2 cents, I think I leaned to appreciate my headphones by listening to them a lot. Initially I was let down by the m50s due to the crazy hype over them, they are definitely overrated,

Jul 12, 2011 at 7:33 AM Post #15 of 18
Heya,

Very best,

You make a good point. OP, if you're new to high end audio then I would recommend sitting with your headphones for a while to really appreciate them. What is your source? If you get a decent Dac like the fiio e7 that would help your headphones sound better. Make that jump and appreciate the improvement. Sit with that foe a while and then upgrade headphones. Just my 2 cents, I think I leaned to appreciate my headphones by listening to them a lot. Initially I was let down by the m50s due to the crazy hype over them, they are definitely overrated,

Just because you don't like them doesn't mean that they're overrated. It really ticks me off when people bash the M50 just because a) it's popular b) doesn't compare to their much more expensive headphones (honestly, this is a crap reason) and c) followed a couple of newbies who haven't tried another headphone and bought the M50 themselves without a second opinion.

All in all, the M50 is overhyped. Overrated only because of its 'newbie' following.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back