Complement to er4p/s?
Feb 12, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #16 of 29
They have similar amounts of micro-detail, and that's really where the similarities end. I actually only keep the ER6i (or any Etymotic high-end item) as a great contrast to something like the BA200. ER6i has better treble, BA200 has better bass. BA200 has way more sound stage and "oomph" (not just in bass), ER6i has a scalpel-like instrument separation quality that singles everything out and doesn't present it as coherently as the BA200 -- great for trying to figure out a guitar line or what kind of instrument was used on a synth (I'm a musician). BA200 is better in almost every way, I just wish the treble quality were better.
Quote:
I see you had the TDKBA200, any quick comparisons to the ER6is tha tyou have listed?

Only asking as I have some TDK-IE800s waiting for me at home 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:
They have similar amounts of micro-detail, and that's really where the similarities end. I actually only keep the ER6i (or any Etymotic high-end item) as a great contrast to something like the BA200. ER6i has better treble, BA200 has better bass. BA200 has way more sound stage and "oomph" (not just in bass), ER6i has a scalpel-like instrument separation quality that singles everything out and doesn't present it as coherently as the BA200 -- great for trying to figure out a guitar line or what kind of instrument was used on a synth (I'm a musician). BA200 is better in almost every way, I just wish the treble quality were better.

Almost exactly what I'm looking for-

Something warm, fun sounding that still has at least some of the detail the Etys have. IE800s are known to have a bit more bass and energy than the BA200s. XBA3s as well..

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #18 of 29
Well I received the IE800s and the XBA-3s last night. While impressed by both, it is now down to just the XBA-3s vs my ER4P(s). The IE800s were great! Smooth, lush mids, better bass and detail across the mids and highs. However, the sound leakage was a bit too much (seeing as they are dual dynamics) and need to keep them to a minimum as I work in an office environment.

I am now considering my choice between a cmoy'ed ER4P vs XBA-3s unamped and weighing out the pros and cons of both--

Cmoy ER4P (S cable)
-Better treble,
-Instrument seperation/soundstage
-insane detail

XBA-3
-Better bass
-Still maintains clarity
-Warm sounding

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #19 of 29
Your OP says a "compliment" to ER4, so are you looking for a 2nd earphone to compliment the ER4, keeping both?  Or are you looking to REPLACE the ER4 with something similar but more bass?

Another option could be getting the the digiZoid ZO 2.3 to give your ER4 some serious bass kick.  The ER4 is capable, just not natively tuned that way.

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #20 of 29
Quote:
Your OP says a "compliment" to ER4, so are you looking for a 2nd earphone to compliment the ER4, keeping both?  Or are you looking to REPLACE the ER4 with something similar but more bass?

Another option could be getting the the digiZoid ZO 2.3 to give your ER4 some serious bass kick.  The ER4 is capable, just not natively tuned that way.

Initially I was looking for a compliment, but it ends up Im enjoying the XBA3s a bit more than the Etys, 

I'm giving each a week audition to see how they both fare. It could be that I'm so used to the Ety sound that the XBA3's bass were new and adds a new dynamic ot the music. More often than not, I find myself analyzing and appreciating the details of the seperate parts of a song with an Ety rather than enjoying the music in a cohesive manner. I guess thats why they call them analytical iems? 

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Initially I was looking for a compliment, but it ends up Im enjoying the XBA3s a bit more than the Etys, 

I'm giving each a week audition to see how they both fare. It could be that I'm so used to the Ety sound that the XBA3's bass were new and adds a new dynamic ot the music. More often than not, I find myself analyzing and appreciating the details of the seperate parts of a song with an Ety rather than enjoying the music in a cohesive manner. I guess thats why they call them analytical iems? 

I think you'll enjoy your new Sony for now. I experienced the same thing in the past when I enjoy my RE0 a bit, but moved on to Superlux HD381F and BA200. After a few months I returned to my RE0 and somehow I couldn't separate myself from it until I got the ER4P.

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:
I currently have the er4p and love the insane clarity and detail of this cold sounding iem. I am looking for an iem that is the perfect complement (warm, fun sounding , smooth) , while maintaining at least half of the clarity an ety provides.

I am looking to spend up to $250 and have tried the following

Gr07- loved the sound and balance of this iem , however, hated the over the ear application. That was why ultimately killed it.

Gr01- brighter and a touch warmer than the er4p, bass about the same. Was not too impressed.

I listen to any and all types of music, and am open to suggestions.

I had the ER4P's and found them extremely clear, great separation, and just cold. Not to mention that my ears called the Special Victims Unit for an illegal penetration! Kidding aside, among other IEM's I have, I find the Klipsch X10's to be warm, lively, fun, smooth, and very, very, comfortable. Of course, YMMV, but my experience with the X10's seem to be fairly typical. (FWIW, I have Comply tips on mine)

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #23 of 29
Yeah, that is why I have the ER4 AND 2-3 cheap earphones (none over $25 or so) that I listen to as compliments to the ER4, or when I want to go out and about and not carry my $250 ER4 phones.  My favorite is the SHE-3590 -- clear sound, very easy to insert, not overly tip-dependent.  TDK MT300 has deeper & more bass, but is more metallic and grainy in the treble regions.

Feb 14, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #25 of 29
Quote:
Yeah, that is why I have the ER4 AND 2-3 cheap earphones (none over $25 or so) that I listen to as compliments to the ER4, or when I want to go out and about and not carry my $250 ER4 phones.  My favorite is the SHE-3590 -- clear sound, very easy to insert, not overly tip-dependent.  TDK MT300 has deeper & more bass, but is more metallic and grainy in the treble regions.

I can't do that for myself. When I'm poisoned by an IEM, I couldn't go anywhere without it. Maybe I should get an HF5 as backup.

Feb 14, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #26 of 29
I do agree the 4p was extremely crisp and clear, but lacked ( for me anyway ) any real Bass, they sounded good when I was in a quiet place like Bed you got the bass, but if on a busy run Bus Train walking the dog in the Rain Wind etc, they just didn't prove themselves to me.

I would however liked to have tried them with a Fiio Amp to see if it helped them.

I myself am no Bass head and I listen to anything from

Yiruma and Kevin kern, to Céline Dion  to the Killers , whatever I like really. Over the past months ive been running the MDR EX1000 and swapping between them and the Sennheiser IE8i. Both of which tick my boxes.

i do fancy some XBA4, but on my recent trip to the states the sony shop i was in had them at a ridiculous price. the 4IP was at 275, and the 4 was 380. think they got the pricing wrong.

Good luck in your Hunt, i tested the astronomically priced AKG 3003 whilst away, and they are prob the best ive heard, but no way on this earth the 1300 dollar price tag, maybe 400

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #27 of 29
I'm still in the amazon month window of returning either both the ER4P or the XBA3s. Primarily this was going to serve as an upgrade to the HF5s. While I love the HF5s as my first real IEM, the difference in clarity between the HF5s and the ER4P/S were pretty big (at least to my ears).

The ER4P/S ,when paired with a cmoybb,does give the bass more body and creates great instrument and soundstage perception. However, the detail of each instrument and separation makes me focus on the different parts of the song, rather than the song as a whole. I never really knew what "analytical" IEM meant until the ER4s. Even with the HF5s, I didn't consider them analytical.

So far the XBA3s do have their pros and cons. They have the minimal sound leakage I need to enjoy them, great bass response, and fuller,thicker,warmer sound than the huge contrast of the ER4Ps. However, I have to fully brain burn them in to judge if they can be a great all-around IEM. So far, the ER4P/S wins in the rock/indy/classical genres, while the XBA3s are winning with hip-hop/trance tracks. 

I'm gonna lay out this week for full audition of the XBA3s. I have been contemplating keeping both, but the practicality (aka my wallet) inside of me is preventing it 
beyersmile.png

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #28 of 29
I'm still in the amazon month window of returning either both the ER4P or the XBA3s. Primarily this was going to serve as an upgrade to the HF5s. While I love the HF5s as my first real IEM, the difference in clarity between the HF5s and the ER4P/S were pretty big (at least to my ears).

The ER4P/S ,when paired with a cmoybb,does give the bass more body and creates great instrument and soundstage perception. However, the detail of each instrument and separation makes me focus on the different parts of the song, rather than the song as a whole. I never really knew what "analytical" IEM meant until the ER4s. Even with the HF5s, I didn't consider them analytical.

So far the XBA3s do have their pros and cons. They have the minimal sound leakage I need to enjoy them, great bass response, and fuller,thicker,warmer sound than the huge contrast of the ER4Ps. However, I have to fully brain burn them in to judge if they can be a great all-around IEM. So far, the ER4P/S wins in the rock/indy/classical genres, while the XBA3s are winning with hip-hop/trance tracks. 

I'm gonna lay out this week for full audition of the XBA3s. I have been contemplating keeping both, but the practicality (aka my wallet) inside of me is preventing it 
beyersmile.png
+1 to er4p :D

Apr 28, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #29 of 29
I LOVE my er4ps.  I have 2 pairs just in case ****.  But I've been interested in an experiment like yours to add some bass every now and then.  How's the isolation and separation on the XBA3s?  And are they as comfortable as the etys?  I use the flanged white tips and I don't even feel them in my ears at this point (granted, I've been in love with these IEMs for the better part of a decade now).  Also interested in the comment about the digizoid.  Is that really worth it, or do you think it would make more sense to grab another set of IEMS instead?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back