Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Nov 9, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #856 of 4,373
Not portable... not gonna happen! (already been discussed)

Nov 9, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #857 of 4,373
Signature Pro-   King of the portables

1. Built like a tank-Check
  2. Removable cable-Check
  3. Fold flat for transporting-Check
  4. Flat hard case-Check
  5. Highly efficient for portable sources-Check
  6. Fit around your neck without feeling like a rear naked choke has been applied-Check
  7. Isolation and sound leaking as good as the best passive headphones-Check
  8. Sound competes with the best headphones around, including large, open TOTL headphones-Check

The Signature Pro is very well balanced, almost neutral in presentation, with an ability to render instruments and vocals in a convincing way.  The most natural sounding of the Ultrasone line-up I have heard and amongst the most neutral/natural sounding headphones regardless of type.  The Sig Pro is a dynamic headphone, with energy to its sound signature, music sounds intense and alive, very punchy, crisp, clean, and detailed.   Drums have a “thwack” and "thump" to them, hi-hats crash, cymbals "clank and ping" when they should (not just a one note tish), and guitars are full bodied from the twang of the strings, slide of the fingers, to the resonance of the wood.  Imaging and instrument separation is superb, never congested or blended, good positional sound-stage, not overly airy but not closed and claustrophobic in any way.  This detailed and lively sound helps the Sig Pro achieve the balance between being quite neutral but also being a fun engaging headphone.  The Sig Pro does benefit from home source components, however it performs and outperforms from a humble DAP.  A great all-rounder, certainly one of the best closed headphones available and in my opinion clearly in the same league as the top tier open headphones of today, and King of the portables.

Nov 9, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #859 of 4,373

2. Removable cable-Check
  4. Flat hard case-Check
  6. Fit around your neck without feeling like a rear naked choke has been applied-Check
  8. Sound competes with the best headphones around, including large, open TOTL headphones-Check

The Signature Pro is very well balanced, almost neutral in presentation, with an ability to render instruments and vocals in a convincing way.  The most natural sounding of the Ultrasone line-up I have heard and amongst the most neutral/natural sounding headphones regardless of type.  The Sig Pro is a dynamic headphone, with energy to its sound signature, music sounds intense and alive, very punchy, crisp, clean, and detailed.   Drums have a “thwack” and "thump" to them, hi-hats crash, cymbals "clank and ping" when they should (not just a one note tish), and guitars are full bodied from the twang of the strings, slide of the fingers, to the resonance of the wood.  Imaging and instrument separation is superb, never congested or blended, good positional sound-stage, not overly airy but not closed and claustrophobic in any way.  This detailed and lively sound helps the Sig Pro achieve the balance between being quite neutral but also being a fun engaging headphone.  The Sig Pro does benefit from home source components, however it performs and outperforms from a humble DAP.  A great all-rounder, certainly one of the best closed headphones available and in my opinion clearly in the same league as the top tier open headphones of today, and King of the portables.

But then comes the downside... Who would bring a $1000+ pair of headphone on the go? @.@ I prefer things to be less than $400 for portable though...

Nov 9, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #860 of 4,373
Price is not the issue but size is, if they are portable, then so are my Denon2000s!!
Surely anything over ear is not in the portable group of headphones? This place badly needs an On Ear only forum

Nov 9, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #861 of 4,373
Funny this had come up, I've been looking into sigpro & sigdj recently. They are def the portable kings. Let's be honest onears suck, they are never going to be as comfy as over ears. The soundstage will never compete. The detail will never compete to a 1k fullsize phone either. I think that's why people are raving about p7 tbh - in comparison to most other on ear portables they probably compare well because they are more over ear and drivers are sitting further away.

If I could afford it I'd def get a SIG pro or DJ as my portable/office pair - two roles in one. They are light, rugged and seal very well, and apparently according to almost everyone who has heard them they sound comparable to the best home/desktop 'phones around.

IMO they look great too but not too flashy, so perfect for wearing in public despite the price. Let's be honest we all want the best possible portable sound and prices seem to only be going one way...

I have a feeling ill be getting one of these in future once I can afford and have auditioned them.

Nov 9, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #862 of 4,373
No portable I've tried does what my Sig DJs do.... Not the Momentum, Kef, AIAIAI, etc...

Nov 9, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #863 of 4,373
Funny this had come up, I've been looking into sigpro & sigdj recently. They are def the portable kings. Let's be honest onears suck, they are never going to be as comfy as over ears. The soundstage will never compete. The detail will never compete to a 1k fullsize phone either. I think that's why people are raving about p7 tbh - in comparison to most other on ear portables they probably compare well because they are more over ear and drivers are sitting further away.

If I could afford it I'd def get a SIG pro or DJ as my portable/office pair - two roles in one. They are light, rugged and seal very well, and apparently according to almost everyone who has heard them they sound comparable to the best home/desktop 'phones around.

IMO they look great too but not too flashy, so perfect for wearing in public despite the price. Let's be honest we all want the best possible portable sound and prices seem to only be going one way...

I have a feeling ill be getting one of these in future once I can afford and have auditioned them.

Not to be rude, but this ^ is one of the stupidest posts I've seen here in a long time. You've not heard the Ultrasones, yet you say they are "def the portable kings"? *Sigh* 

And for your information, on-ears don't have to suck at all. The soundstage part I can buy, but that they are technically not capable of sounding as detailed as full-size headphones is just BS. The M500 (on ear) sounds noticeably more detailed and refined than the Momentum (over ear), especially in the bass and treble. And it also sounds better than many large headphones I've listened to. 

The P7 is "more over ear"? They are over ear, period. 

I highly doubt an Ultrasone headphone sounds better than the P7, I've listened to the ED8 which isn't natural sounding at all and also the ED10 which is one of the worst headphones I've listened to with a price above $50. And I know people who have tried the PRO 900 and hated it. But unlike you, I don't rush to any silly conclusions without personal experience, so I won't judge. 

Nov 9, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #864 of 4,373

2. Removable cable-Check
  4. Flat hard case-Check

Wow, you had me ready to order the Sig Pro on the spot, until somebody mentioned the price a few posts later.

Nov 9, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #865 of 4,373
Price is not the issue but size is, if they are portable, then so are my Denon2000s!!
Surely anything over ear is not in the portable group of headphones? This place badly needs an On Ear only forum

For me, portable is any headphone I can use at work with my FiiO X3.  It shouldn't leak much if any sound, shouldn't look too ridiculous when worn, and should be comfortable to wear for at least a couple of hours at  a time.  In my experience, that mostly means full sized circumaural headphones and if they still sold the Denon 2000s that would definitely be on my list.

Nov 9, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #866 of 4,373
  I just wish MacedonianHero could get to hear the forthcoming Philips L2 and let us know his opinion. Apparantly this has been rate by the few who heard them as higher than both P7 and M500.

Sorry, but they are open headphones and won't be included with this comparison for a few reasons: being open, they aren't "portable headphones" and secondly, I hate comparing open headphones to closed headphones. Apples and oranges.

That said, I'd really like to hear them. 

Nov 9, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #867 of 4,373

I just wish MacedonianHero could get to hear the forthcoming Philips L2 and let us know his opinion. Apparantly this has been rate by the few who heard them as higher than both P7 and M500.

Sorry, but they are open headphones and won't be included with this comparison for a few reasons: being open, they aren't "portable headphones" and secondly, I hate comparing open headphones to closed headphones. Apples and oranges.

That said, I'd really like to hear them. 

Not even worth consider buying them. Philips Fidelio series do not have any spare parts available, and they refuse to sell/provide things like spare pads. Even for their high end X and L series.

It it downright laughable some companies do provide spare parts / accessories for their cheapest headphones. Say, Philips does not respect their own products for what they deserve, hence we have no reasons to do otherwise.

Nov 9, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #868 of 4,373

Not even worth consider buying them. Philips Fidelio series do not have any spare parts available, and they refuse to sell/provide things like spare pads. Even for their high end X and L series.

It it downright laughable some companies do provide spare parts / accessories for their cheapest headphones. Say, Philips does not respect their own products for what they deserve, hence we have no reasons to do otherwise.

You're kidding? Really sad (and greedy) IMO if this is the case.

Nov 9, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #869 of 4,373

You're kidding? Really sad (and greedy) IMO if this is the case.

No kidding. This is one big reason I have not bought a single Philips Fidelio product yet. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back