Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Aug 19, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #121 of 4,373
Quote:

This site is terrible for my wallet. You just solidified my interest in the M500s.

evil_smiley.gif

size]

Aug 20, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #123 of 4,373
How's the bass quantity (sub and mid) of the 2013 studios in comparison to the momentums?

The Momentums go deeper to my ears. But the new Beats are pretty good too. I ran a frequency sweep down to 30Hz and they performed admirably.

Aug 20, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #125 of 4,373
Quote:
It is not a requirement to detach the cable when storing the M500 in its case

It's not, you are correct. But it is preferred as getting them in there with the cable is a struggle. Can you recommend an easy way of doing this? 

In other news, I was at Marshall's buying a new belt and low and behold a pair of Skullcandy Aviators (brown and gold) were there for about 1/2 the price they sell for here in Canada. So I picked them up to add to my comparisons.

Construction wise, they seem very well built and are very comfortable on my head. A bit flashy, but they sound pretty good. Jude's review/introduction from a while ago got me thinking about adding them to my list of portable headphones. So here they are. I'll add an UPDATE 3 to my original post after I've had a few days with them.

More to come...

Aug 20, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #126 of 4,373
You gave the KEF M500 a top score on comfort despite it being on-ears.... now I HAVE to try it.
It's still not my taste in looks though, so even if I accidentally fall in love with it I'm going to stick with the Momentums.

Once again, great thread!

Aug 20, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #127 of 4,373
Quote:
You gave the KEF M500 a top score on comfort despite it being on-ears.... now I HAVE to try it.
It's still not my taste in looks though, so even if I accidentally fall in love with it I'm going to stick with the Momentums.

I usually hate on-ear headphones and the KEF are actually quite comfortable to me up to 3 hours or so... (then it seems the memory foam loses a bit of its "plushness" and I have to re-adjust). I actually find them MORE comfortable than the Sennheiser Momentums (which I have ON right now!).

Sound-wise, I also like the KEFs a bit more than the Momentums.

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #128 of 4,373
how is the bass on m500 compared to Momentums? Does it have good sub-bass?

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #130 of 4,373
how is the bass on m500 compared to Momentums? Does it have good sub-bass?

Funny, I prefer the kef's bass a lot more. The momentum's is kinda of loose and a little bloated, while the kef has tight natural bass, and will go deep when its ordered to (by the track). The bass has nice positioning and it feels comfortable. Usually closed cans do well in the bass department compared to open ones, but the bass is always just not posistion correctly or something of that sort. Its harder to hear when not comparing to open headphones. The m500 doesnt have that problem.

The kef only has one (and only one) problem with its audio performance, and its sound stage width, not length or depth. Thats of course is expected, since the actual headphone its pretty small.

One great thing about the kef is the easily adjustable ear pressure.

Best closed can ever!!

Aug 20, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #131 of 4,373
Wow,thanks for the feedback! Have you guys compared b&w p5 to m500?

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #132 of 4,373
Quote:

Thanks! Exactly my surprise as well...an on-ear that was really comfortable? Never experienced that before until I received the M500s. 

Quote:
Wow,thanks for the feedback! Have you guys compared b&w p5 to m500?

The P5s are warmer (and a bit too warmish for me and a little too rolled off on the top). The M500s would be my choice in a heartbeat.

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #133 of 4,373
Question about the fit: how tightly do the M500s clamp?
I've read that it's a light clamp, and that concerns me because I have a smaller than average head. For reference, I really like the SQ of my M-80s, but I just can't hold on to them any longer because of the fit (clamp is a little too light and they have no z-axis rotation on the cups). I'm aware given my small head most supra aurals will fit loosely, but if they are looser than the M-80s then it's a no go for me. It's not important that they stay on during running or anything like that, as I don't workout with headphones. I prefer circumaurals and bought M-100s on the notion that they would be circumaural M-80s and love the M-100s fit while I've increasingly grown to dislike the SQ. However 
So, a comparison in terms of tightness of clamp to any other supra aurals would significantly help me in figuring out if the M500s could in fact be the "one". 

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #134 of 4,373
Quote:
Question about the fit: how tightly do the M500s clamp?
I've read that it's a light clamp, and that concerns me because I have a smaller than average head. For reference, I really like the SQ of my M-80s, but I just can't hold on to them any longer because of the fit (clamp is a little too light and they have no z-axis rotation on the cups). I'm aware given my small head most supra aurals will fit loosely, but if they are looser than the M-80s then it's a no go for me. It's not important that they stay on during running or anything like that, as I don't workout with headphones. I prefer circumaurals and bought M-100s on the notion that they would be circumaural M-80s and love the M-100s fit while I've increasingly grown to dislike the SQ. However 
So, a comparison in terms of tightness of clamp to any other supra aurals would significantly help me in figuring out if the M500s could in fact be the "one". 

They clamp barely at all...one of the reasons they are so comfortable. The DT1350s were vice-grips in comparison. They adjust such that even my 9 year old daughter can have them securely on her head.

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #135 of 4,373
Cool post.  Very helpful for those out there looking.

The 1350s are my go-to portables.  No glasses here, so I find them extremely comfortable.  Also up for consideration were the HD25s and V-Moda M-80s.  Since comfort wasn't an issue, it was purely a decision of sound quality and I've yet to find a portable that sounds more "right" to my ears than the Beyers.

They also performed well for me on an airplane.  I couldn't hear any conversation or other noises from nearby passengers.  They don't block out the engine roar, but that's okay.  If the engines stop working, I want to know it.  
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back