Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Jul 16, 2013 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4,373

MacedonianHero

Headphone.Guru Editor
So with my main dynamic and stat rigs about "set", I decided to look for a great portable headphone. My requirements for this would be the ability to isolate out background noise (like my kids, or an airplane) and a great sounding headphone, so last year I started on a journey that now after a year I think I've found what I need.

I started off with the Bose QC15s for flying. Nothing, bar nothing isolates outside music better than them and on noisy flights with noisy kids (mostly my kids wink.gif), they really fit the bill. But sound quality wise, they were the weakest of the bunch and always left me wanting more. So I picked up a pair of DT1350s (based on Tyll's measurements, they looked very good indeed). Sonically I was very impressed, but as I wear glasses, the three-point bends they put my ears into made them effective medieval torture devices. So out they went.

Then I read the excellent review of the Ultimate Ears UE9000s on innerfidelity.com. They too measured very well, so on a trip to the Apple Store I picked up a pair. To my chagrin, they would barely stretch down over my ears. Now I don't have the largest melon out there, but come on...and with no padding on the top side, made them quite uncomfortable. Throw in their sense of just too much of a dark nature and noise cancelling that is sub-par, out they went.

Next up a pair of Sennheiser Momentums (got a black pair) and holy moly, sonically these were the best my ears had heard to date! Comfort is outstanding! Many have complained that the earpads make them somewhat more of an on-ear headphone than over-ear, but they clamp very lightly and have such luxurious earpads that they were the most comfortable of the bunch after the Bose QC15s. They isolate very well, look great and most importantly sound great!

Then in came a pair of the Sony MDR-1Rs. I was at the Sony Store buying a pair of headphones for my brother's birthday and they had them on sale $100 off. So I picked them up. Sonically they are very good headphones, I have a bit of issues with the "upper mids" being a bit grainy and their construction was a bit too plasticky. Comfort was among the very best and I can really see why so many like them. That said, my pair had the "clicking" issue on the right earpad frown.gif and the carrying case was only a bag. Though nice, I never felt entirely comfortable traveling with them as the carrying bag didn't feel very robust. Sonically they were great, just not on par with the Momemtums. So after a few weeks, I returned them to the Sony Store for a refund. I wanted to really like them (and for many parts I did), but they had some issues like the clicking earcup and lack of robustness for travel I didn't keep them.

Finally on a flight to Milwaukee to visit a customer a few weeks back (a prop plane) I decided that I needed better isolation. As over the years, my ears have worked less and less with IEMs (just sold my pair of fantastic Westone 4s for that reason), I was now looking for a pair of NC headphones that had great isolation, sound and could play without the NC being on. I came across the PSB M4U 2 thread and two of my good friends (Skylab and beagle) were big fans of them. So I picked up a pair....and WOW. They isolate much better than the UE9000s (though NOTHING is as good as the QC15s) and actually sound like a fantastic pair of audiophile headphones. They sound really good (better) with the NC off, so they work around the house or when my listening session isn't in a too noisy environment. But if I'm flying, then turn on the NC and you get actually very competent noise cancellation and the sound quality doesn't suffer that much either. Great to have the option.

So here I am with no real IEMs (given my others to my daughter) and a pair of Sennheiser Momentums and Bose QC15 headphones. I think I'm pretty happy to stand pat with these two. I've tossed around the ideal of keeping just one pair, but they both sound so good I can't really let one go. The Momentums (though isolate very well), aren't as good as the QC15s on a plane.

EDIT: So my buddy lent me his Beats Executive headphones that his wife bought him for Christmas and wow, I was surprised. These aren't your kids Beats with over bloated bass, totally sucked out mids and noise cancellation that isn't worth 50 cents and all made of a cheap feeling plastic. They are beautiful headphones indeed. They are extremely portably and fold up in a very small package. Great for travelling for sure. Surprisingly the noise cancellation worked very well...like PSB M4U 2 well; except for the constant HORRIBLE HISS that in the end ruined them for me. Sonically they're not bad. The bass has been toned down and the mids aren't so sucked out and the treble isn't bright in any way...though much more extended than the Beats Studios. The hiss from the noise cancellation is a downside as its constantly on, but beyond that, not bad...so I'm kinda shocked. They do not run with the top headphones here sonically, but a step in the right direction IMO.

UPDATE 1: BEATS EXECUTIVE:

After a full weekend with the Beats Executive (on loan), I've revised my scoring a bit. After a few days, the constant "hiss" from the NC circuitry and somewhat flabby bass made me revise them and score them down. For Beats headphones, these are the best I've heard and guess what? They're not horrible. Actually I find them quite descent sounding...and looks/construction wise they are amongst the very best. So if you just have to own a pair of Beats headphones, these are the ones I'd recommend. Otherwise, if you're looking for top notch noise cancelling, ultra comfort and pretty good sound, my vote would be the QC15s (for the traveller). For pure sound quality and overall beauty, the Momentums are my top choice.  However, there is a glaring (and almost fatal flaw with these headphones), the NC circuitry has an unbearable "hissss" that is so obtrusive that it actually leaks into the music. Sadly for this reason, they are hard to recommend. Otherwise very nice improvements by Beats...to bad they missed this issue.

UPDATE 1.5: BEATS EXECUTIVE (Newer All Black Version from 2014)

Well, today I got a pair of the newer all-black Beats Executives and boy am I happy to report that the "hissssss" from the older versions above is mostly all gone. It's now at a similar level as the Beats Studio 2013...which is to say, barely an issue at all. Nice to see that Beats fixed this very glaring flaw. Sound wise, they are fairly close to the Executives from above and the newer Studio (2013 version). Not the top 5 hear, but definitely a step in the right direction by Beats.

As a result, I am quite happy to recommend these headphones to someone who likes popular music, electronica, hip-hop, is looking for a beautiful pair of headphones (especially the all-black version...my favourite looking pair of headphones in this listing actually), with good comfort, noise isolation/cancellation and very portable once in the carrying case.

UPDATE 2: KEF M500 & BEATS 2013 STUDIOS:

So I've added the KEF M500s and new Beats Studio 2013s. In summary, the KEF M500s are the most neutral "high end" sounding headphones of the bunch. They are very well constructed and it I can't believe KEF has just started making headphones! I mean wow...they really know good sound. They are very small on the head, but the carrying case makes them about "average" for portability. Unfortunately you have to remove the headphone cable to put them in their storage case. Only the Bose QC15s and Momentums had their designs such that this wasn't necessary. I hope moving forward, more manufacturers fix this!  They image a soundstage that is the biggest of the bunch...very impressive for the only on-ear headphones listed! The only downside of the M500s is that if you're looking for isolation, look elsewhere as they don't do much of that.

The new Beats Studios 2013 editions keep up with many of the headphones here. I bought a pair to add to this review from the Apple Store with the intention of returning them after 1 week. As luck would have it my 5 year old kinda used the box for his superhero action figures...so they're now mine. Luckily I don't mind. If you're into how headphones look, these (along with the Momentums are the best IMO). They isolate pretty darn good and are pretty darn portable. They sound quite good. They're closer voiced to the warmer/bassier Momentums (though not as tactile), but that said, I'm quite happy to see Beats talking good sound seriously. They image very well are light and comfortable too. Who'd a thunk it?

UPDATE 3: SKULLCANDY AVIATORS:

As mentioned, I picked up a pair of Skullcandy Aviators for a heck of a deal. So after a few days with them, I agree with Jude's initial assessment. They are great headphones too. Now this is a big surprise too like the new 2013 Beats Studios. They are very stylish, though may be a bit too flashy for some. Not sure if this 41 year old Canadian conservative would go outside with them. tongue.gif Comfort wise they are very good too with my big head. That said, they are on their max setting for me.

The cable seems a bit thin, but serviceable. The little iDevice volume/song switcher is well built and unlike the KEF M500s has buttons that are easy to hit without too much fiddling. The carrying case is a nice (p)leather pouch that reminds me of my pencil case when I was a kid in terms of size....a very good thing IMO. No hard shell though to protect them like the other headphones (except for the MDR-1Rs).

Now onto the sound... The bass doesn't flood into the mids like every other Skullcandy headphone I've heard. Imagine that? Actually it's a little rolled off at the deepest octaves to my ears. Though not Grado rolled off. And like Grados, there is somewhat of a mid-bass hump there but it's not distracting. The treble extends very well and the imaging is very good. I would describe them as a very good mid-centric headphone with good bass (though a bit rolled) and good treble overall. Hard to nitpick anything else.

Bang for your buck these win. I picked them up for under $100. At their original price of $149 US (or $199 in Canada), they're even worth that IMO. Great sub $100 headphones that I'm happy to recommend. smile.gif

UPDATE 4: BOWERS & WILKINS P7

Well, the P7s arrived a week and a half ago and yes, they rocketed up the charts. I absolutely love them. As portable headphones go, they hit pretty much on all cylinders. First off, they sound great. The bass is deep, present and very well controlled/defined. The mids are balanced and quite nicely put into the spectrum. I find on the M500s, the mids are more pronounced/forward, so if that's more to your liking, then, I'd recommend the KEF headphones. But the mids seem a bit too forward and liquid (a very slight colouration IMO). While the P7s definitely balance out the mids a bit more "realistic" sounding to my ears. The treble thankfully has been greatly improved over the rolled-off P5s. It's extended, lively and never harsh.

The soundstaging is the best on these headphones of all the ones on this list. Actually only my much more expensive TH-900s image better for a closed headphone. But, I'd hardly consider the Fostex cans "portable headphones". :wink: Simply put, along with the M500s and Momentums, the P7s are in the top three I've heard yet...and just barely come out on top for me.

Construction wise, what can I say? They're freakin' beautiful! Talk about some handsome looking headphones that are just as much art as they are functional. Kudos to Bowers and Wilkins for making such a stand out headphone. They isolate the best of the bunch (that is to say of the headphones WITHOUT noise cancelling circuitry). While the clamp is firm, I found it never uncomfortable with my big melon and the isolation was as good as any of the noise cancelling headphones save the QC15s.

Portability wise, the great looking leather case offers good (but not great) protection for them. This is one of my gripes. I would have liked a bit more mechanical support for these headphones as I stuff them in my travel bag. But while they are "full sized over ear headphones", they do fold up quite nicely and the carrying pouch is smaller than the Momentums' carrying case. The second gripe is that the headphone plug is at a straight angle. I much prefer the 90 degree plugs that we've come accustomed to. Or even better and adjustable one like on the Sennheiser Momentums.

I am really glad that B&W came out with these headphones. They work with every genre I threw at them (think every type of music EXCEPT for country/western....I'm not a fan :p). If I could had to pair down my collection to only 1 portable headphone, it would be the P7s I suppose. But that said, I'm still keeping my M500s and Momentums for a very long time.

UPDATE #4: MONSTER OVER-EAR DNA PRO

Well, I was lucky enough to be included in a test group for these newly released headphones from Monster. Just for clarification, these are not the currently released on-ear DNAs (which I do happen tolike), but instead their larger over ear sibling. First off, they are very stylish looking headphones. I really like the matte black colour they came in. And unlike the shiny new Beats 2013 Studios, finger prints don't show up all over them.

Their construction is pretty darn good. They look quite sleek, but they (like the Beats 2013 Studios) incorporate a lot of plastic. So unlike the most excellent P7s or B6s, don't expect high-end materials here. I found the comfort about average (or slightly under). The Beats Studios were actually more comfortable. The biggest issues I had were two fold:

1.) The earpads don't rotate so that they are parallel to ones head. Instead, they pinch towards the bottom of one's ears and over time this can be a point of pressure and discomfort.
2.) The headband is a bit small and I have to pull the earpads down to their maximum setting to get them to fully sit on my head. Not a real biggie as well they still fit with my head. But those with larger melons may have more serious issues.

Upon my first listening session with them I was shocked actually. I was used to a Monster Beats presentation from years gone by and what I was hearing was a remarkably well balanced headphone. The bass is actually more in-line with the most neutral pair of headphones here (B&O H6s). That is to say, deep, taught, well defined and not boomy or loose. For those who want a more basshead headphone, I'd recommend you look elsewhere. But if you're after a fairly balanced presentation, these headphones may be for you.

The mids are very well presented and thankfully unlike older headphones in this space, the bass blends in perfectly with them. I did however have some issues with the upper mids/lower treble. There was an emphasis in this area that with certain recordings made the DNA Pros sound "off pudding". I would liken this to the Sabre-shout that many higher end DACs that use the Sabre chipset suffer from. In the end, female vocals seemed a bit too nasal-like for my tastes and as a side effect, sibilances in recordings were emphasized more than I'd want to hear.

The treble is quite good and rarely harsh. It has good sparkle, definition and extension to the upper registers. Quite good. But as mentioned, the lower treble/upper mids has some issues that kept these headphones from really excelling. The imaging is about par for the course with closed/portable headphones. They don't offer the expansive sound staging of the very open sounding B&O H6s, but they do offer a realistic presentation that is quite acceptable.

With regards to portability, they're not bad. They fold up like the Beats Studios and don't take up much room. But unlike the Beats Studios, they only come with a carrying bag. The Beats Studios come with a hard-shell case that is much better for protecting these headphones when you're on the go. The carrying pouch that comes with the DNA Pro's is made of a thick fabric (and quite a bit better than the plain fabric bag that comes with the B&O H6s), but it does lag behind the competition in this regard.

Like with the new 2013 Beats Studios, I am very impressed to see Monster go the route of a more balanced/neutral presentation. Gone are any remnants of the horrible bloated, overly bassy and muddy Monster Beats headphones from years ago. Overall a very good option for audio enthusiasts.

UPDATE #5: BANG & OLUFSEN H6

So I was able to snag a pair locally for a killer deal that was too hard to pass up. I’ve got to say that I was really glad that I did. I have to say that these are the most "dead neutral" headphones I've tried on this thread. Their tonal balance is very close to the HD800s. Think deep/taught bass, linear mids, extended treble (while never bright/strident) and the best sound staging of the 11 headphones here.

First off their construction is fantastic. Beautifully built with soft and plush leather pads, the headband is made of more rigid leather and looks great. They are incredibly light and are definitely the most comfortable pair of headphones here. Just a joy to have on and listen to. I do have one major gripe though...the carrying fabric bag Really? Just a thin fabric bag to hold onto my $439Cdn MSRP headphones? At least the carrying bag on the Monster DNA Pros is made of a thicker fabric that would offer some cushioning in my carry-on luggage. But this one, I wouldn't even try. So I had to order a third party hard shell case of ebay for them. But for the price I paid, I would definitely expect better! Yes, the H6s fold up pretty well (and compact) and are extremely light, but this is a bit of a letdown for me.

Now on to the way they sound...

Thankfully what they gave up on the carrying bag, they more than make up for it in the sound. Seriously, I can't believe what I'm hearing. These are closed headphones that are very clean, neutral, transparent and open sounding…imagine that? As I prefaced earlier, these are definitely the most neutral headphones in my listing (to date). Which is surprising that a closed headphone can be made this way. Typically they are "thicker" and bassier...likely due to all the internal reflections inherent to closed headphones vs. open headphones. But B&O has been able to avoid this and offer an very open sounding product with outstanding instrumental separation and clarity.

While some may critique the bass as "bass-lite"; I would never. Certainly next to the Sennheiser Momentums or Beats Studios, the bass is lighter. But I would not classify the Momentum/Beats bass as "neutral". What you get instead is deep, quick and taught bass that doesn't over stay its welcome (like it could with the Sennheisers). Very nimble indeed. The mids are upfront in the soundstage and crystal clear and the treble isn't rolled off like say on the Momentums (which in the end is why I sold them). Actually I find the treble very satisfying and the shimmer of cymbals is unequaled by the other headphones here. It never comes off as bright either (unless of course the recording is bright/strident).

The sound-staging is impeccable as is the instrumental separation. Due to their light/quick nature, you don't feel closed in like some of the headphones in this thread (like the Momentums, Beats, M500s). Instead you get a very vast and open sound that sometimes has you thinking you're hearing things from outside, but instead it's these headphone's excellent ability to throw sounds at you from all over.

What can I say? These are definitely in the top 3 of my list here and if you're thinking of picking up a pair, I'd say go for it! But, if you're a bass head and like the hippity hoppity music, I might look elsewhere. In the end, these are definitely staying with me for the long term.

UPDATE #6: NAD HP50s

These are the latest headphones I've added to this listing and boy am I happy I did. Overall they are just outstanding headphones (regardless of being closed and portable). I was lucky enough to get a review pair from NAD (just down the highway a bit from me here in Toronto). I liked them so much, I bought them...there was no way I was going to send them back.

Construction wise they are very well built. The headband is covered in soft leather with a metal frame. They feel very sturdy as a result. Are they as snazzy looking as say the P7s or H6s? Nothing really is, but they do cost between $100-$139 less here in Canada. But I'll say this; they are certainly in the upper tier of headphones I've tried. They are not excessively plastic like the Beats or DNA Pros (though those headphones do appear to be very rugged regardless) and for the price range, I feel that they meet what I would expect (and then some).

Comfort wise, they are very good. I would put them just under the B&O H6s. I can keep them on my head for hours at a time without any discomfort. As well, they isolate very well. This is one thing that has hurt some of the headphones on this thread (like the KEF M500s). I feel this is one very important factor to have truly portable headphones. If I'm in a noisy environment, I don't want to have to crank up the sound to un-safe levels just to continue to hear the music. And thankfully NAD has not forgotten this very important factor.

The headphones do fold flat and the carrying pouch is a nice thick leather (or leather-like) material and offers good structural support for the headphones. Unlike the AWOL support offered for the B&O H6s or the massively large hard bodied case for the Momentums, the NAD carrying case manages to meet the requirements of both support and portability.

And how do they sound?

In one word: "natural". After watching the innerfidelity.com review of Paul Barton by Tyll, I can verify that the "Room Response" goal has been realized. These headphones sound like a good pair of bookshelf speakers. Very natural and real with a hint of warmth to mimic my home speaker setup. Overall, I would classify them as natural / neutral sounding headphones, but with a slight warmth to them (something that is lacking with the B&O H6s).

The bass presentation is outstanding. These headphones go down to the depths of my audible range. Measurements back this up with a flat response down to 20Hz with no roll-off. As well, there is no mid-bass hump that can cloud mids and obscure the presentation. The distortion measurements are also outstanding and compete with many $1k+ headphones. The presentation of the bass is true-to-life to my ears, deep, low and controlled with excellent definition.

The mids (like the bass) are equally outstanding. I don't feel that instruments in the sound stage are out of place like I did with some other headphones. At times, say with the Sennheiser Momentums, I would feel that the singer or some of the instruments were placed way at the back of the stage due to the quick roll off of the upper mids. The HP50s instead offer very linear mids that put everything in its proper place with a smooth liquidity that is very appealing. Just very well presented overall.

The treble offers great detail and a clean presentation. Strident, these headphones are not, piercing treble is nothing to be concerned with. I found this problematic with the Monster DNA Pros (and even at times with the B&O H6s, depending on the recording), but the NAD presentation seems to straddle between this one extreme and the Sennheiser Momentum extreme of treble that is rolled off too much and can get in the way of the overall presentation. I'm so impressed on the overall tonal presentation of the HP50s that I would definitely say they are my favourite in this regard...period.

The sound-staging is very much on-par with the B&W P7s and just behind the spacious sounding H6s. But that still puts them in the top 2 or 3 here and I have no qualms with their ability to render what I'm hearing spatially. From left to right and front to back, they are able to keep me more than satisfied.

Overall I am going to put these on top of my list. When the construction, portability, isolation and especially sound quality were all taken into account, these headphones fire on all cylinders. Just an outstanding job by NAD!

UPDATE #7: MARTIN LOGAN MIKROS 90S

Well, my good friend Dave (Beagle) very graciously sent me a pair of these wonderful little headphones. I'd like to thank him again for this great opportunity. So I've had them for several weeks and put them through their paces. All I can say is for the sub $100 offering, they will be my "go to" recommendation for headphones (open or closed). Talk about packing in a lot of headphone into such a small pair and low price! I understand that Martin Logan priced these substantially higher when they were first released, and even at that price, based on the performance that they offer, I think a good argument can be made to justify their purchase...but at $85 ish, it's really a no brainer.

Construction is very solid! They are very well put together and again, at this price, I'm amazed at the high levels of materials that went into these headphones. Just beautiful. The carrying case is also perfect considering that they are portable headphones for on the go. I guess if I have to nitpick, one has to remove the headphone cable to get them to comfortably fit into the case, but that's a small point for me. It's a big step up from the AWOL case for the B&O H6s. 

Comfort was one area that wasn't ideal with my large noggin. I found the clamping force a bit much and the earcups wanted to swivel forward towards the front of my face when on my ears. I also found some pressure with extended listening when I wore glasses. I found that the cartilage in my ears would be put into a 3 point bend and I needed to remove them for a bit of a break after 30 minutes or so. Without glasses, they're quite a bit more comfortable. Being on-ears, I'm surprised just how good they isolate outside noise. If the KEF M500s worked this well, I'd likely still have them.

Now let's move on to how they sound. In a word, clean. Bass goes deep (with a slight roll-off in the lowest registers) but is still very satisfying. The mids is where these headphones really shine. Very clean and upfront...crystal clear and they kind of remind me of my Shure SE535s in the mids. The treble is very well extended and not sharp (like say the SRH940s). Very well presentation indeed. Tonally, they are closer to the B&O H6s over the NAD HP50s. The imaging is surprisingly good; especially considering they're on-ear headphones. I didn't find them lacking at all in this regard. Overall, for the very low price tag, these headphones are a no-brainer...talk about outstanding value!

UPDATE #8: BEYERDYNAMIC T51p

I saw these for a great price a few weeks ago and decided to jump on them. My friend Frank I previously raved about them and while I was sceptical about the comfort issues (like the DT1350s where), he insisted that beyer fixed those issues with the T51ps. And well, I'm here to definitely collaborate Frank's comments...these are some of the most comfortable headphones listed here. Very surprising for on-ear headphones, but the people at beyerdynamics really pulled it off! And here's the kicker, not only are they VERY comfortable on-ear headphones, they isolate among the very best here too! WTH? 
blink.gif
 Usually with on-ears, you have to sacrifice isolation (like the M500s), but not with these headphones. I am very impressed with being able to have it all...small form factor (these headphones are very compact), great comfort AND noise isolation. Wowza! The construction is very much like the DT1350s, which is to say....SOLID! Mostly made of metal, these headphones are sturdy and I have no issues with taking them on the go and not worrying about them falling apart. The carrying case is also quite nice too and thin (and portable). It protects the headphones quite well and due to its form factor, I have zero issues putting it into my carry-on or back-pack. 

Sonically, they improve on the DT1350s in every way. Not a night and day change, but a refinement that's apparent across the board. The bass is tighter (and not was wooly as the DT1350s could sound), the mids are upfront and natural and the treble has a very nice shimmer to it, but never metallic or fatiguing (again like the DT1350s could be from time to time on specific recordings). The imaging is outstanding for on-ear headphones. It's definitely not up to the standards of the H6s, but certainly more than say the Momentums or M500s. If not for the NAD HP50s sounding so darn good, I'd be very tempted (and I certainly was) to rank these at #1. Oh, and I was able to hear a total of 4 headphones that they had on had and I'm very glad to report that they all pretty much sounded exactly the same. Something the DT1350s couldn't do when I heard a variety of them. Great small size, comfort, isolation, construction and sound...they hit on all cylinders! If you're looking for a great pair of on-the go headphones, you really need to consider these fantastic headphones! 

UPDATE #9: AKG K545

I'd like to thank dweaver for his generosity of the loaner pair of K545s that he sent to to add to this review. Really appreciated! The first thing I noticed when I put the K545s on my head was that, wow, these are some really comfortable headphones! I could keep them on my head for hours and if not for the music playing through them, I'd totally forget that they were on my head. The next thing that really grabs you is just how "big" they sound. The soundstaging is very impressive (especially considering they are a closed headphone). They are most excellent with orchestral music, quick, detailed and large sounding. Definitely one of the best here in that regard (and could very well be the best on this listing).

The bass is certainly not lacking to my ears, it goes down deep and offers a very satisfying experience. It's not wobbly or un-textured, but clean. The T51p's have a bit more bass, but overall the K545s should satisfy anyone who isn't a basshead. The Shure SRH940s or K701s on the other hand have way too little bass in my opinion and suffer from sounding "real" as a result; thankfully the AKG545s don't suffer that fate.

The treble is very well extended and clean. It's neither strident or painful to listen to. Unlike say the Momentums that really rolled the treble too quickly, too far, the K545s offer a very neutral presentation as a contrast. The two issues that I had with the AKGs were the mids and lack of noise isolation. Unfortunately the mids seemed a bit too recessed to my ears. At times I wished that they were more flushed out and forward, but instead with some of my test tracks I found them too far back in the sound stage and not fully supported. As well, the noise isolation was slightly behind the KEF M500s. I'm not sure that I would take them on an airplane or subway as a result. But for general listening around the house, I have no issues with them in this regard. Overall I was quite impressed with the AKG545s of their open and clean sound; coupled with their incredible comfort, I can see why so many like them!

UPDATE #10: Music Fidelity MF-100

For the second time, I'd like to thank my friend Dave (Beagle) for this pair to add to this comparative review. I've had the MF-100s for several weeks now and got to really know them as they've been my defacto work headphone for the month of May. Before I continue, I wanna say that I like these headphones quite a bit, but are they perfect? No headphone here is, but when taken as a sum of the whole, these are very good, clean sounding headphones.

The construction is mainly plastic, but they feel solid, the earpads are actually quite luxurious feeling (MF states that they used leather and I believe them). As well, they come with a back up pair (very nice addition). Unfortunately, they followed B&O with regards to the same style of a fabric pouch. Not very protective when travelling or on the go, so I'd recommend a good aftermarket ebay headphone case for them. They're pretty small headphones and finding one shouldn't be too hard to find (on the cheap). Comfort-wise, I'd say they are neither uncomfortable, nor comfortable...kinda right down the middle. The biggest issue I have with my head is the clamping force can be a bit after an hour or so. But thankfully, unlike the DT1350s, wearing glasses with them isn't too bad. The other issue I had was their isolation wasn't the greatest, so if that's really important to you, I'd look at some of the other headphones here. But in my office setup, they were just fine.

Funny when I heard them, dweaver's K545s just arrived, and the similarities between these two headphones really struck me. They both go down low and the bass is never bloated or slow, but tight (very similar to the H6's presentation). Some might find this a bit bass-lite, but definitely not me...they sound fairly flat down to the lowest octaves and the attack is quick and fast. Overall, I find this one of their best traits. The mids however like the K545s seem to need to be flushed out a bit more. I'm not saying that they're "U" shaped, but the mids with certain recordings can sound a bit hollow...so a bit more presence in this range would have gone a long way. The treble reminds me of the H6s, but a bit (and only a bit) more ragged to my ears, but it extends very well and offers a great sense of air. The soundstaging is also quite good and open. I never feel like I'm closed in like I did sometimes with the Sennheiser Momentums. Overall, these are a very good sounding pair of headphones that are a great first pass for Music Fidelity! Let's just say, it looks like they'll continue to be my "go to" office pair for June!

UPDATE #11: Sony MDR10RNC

So in a moment of weakness (and after some A-Bing at the local Bestbuy with the QC15s), I picked up a pair of Sony MDR10RNC portable noise cancelling headphones. What amazed me initially about them was that they actually stood toe-to-toe with the Bose QC15s with regards to their noise cancelling abilities. Actually, I found the higher frequencies slightly better cancelled out by the Sony headphones! This is no small feat IMO as the QC15s have set the standard for a number of years in that regard. So looks like Sony has fully caught up to Bose in this regard. Construction wise, they are very similar to the QC15, but they do feel a little more firm. The styling is miles ahead of the pedestrian looking QC15s. They are as sharp as the MDR-1R headphones and I'm a big fan. Comfort-wise they are on par with the very comfortable QC15s, so score yet another big win for Sony.

With regards to portability, they are quite good. They fold up flat and come with a very nice carrying case...overall very nicely done. Both with regards to size and protection for your investments.

In the sound department they sound very clean. They are tilted towards the bass (but still fairly well balanced). But think of MDR-1R without the highs that can at times become a bit too much. They are better across the spectrum than the QC15s (bass, mids, treble) and they image better too. Throw in the $50 cheaper price tag, I think these headphones are really a no brainer over the QC15s (plus they look a whole lot better, so if you care about styling, you'll be quite happy with the improvements that Sony put into these headphones). A bit about the Noise Cancelling Circuitry, it comes with 3 settings, one for airplane, bus and office. I've only tested the Airplane and Office modes and I can say that I find them helpful. The Airplane setting does in fact work best for planes and the Office setting is really the best for the office setting. One area I am very happy with (or at least my wife is) is the leakage of these headphones. The QC15s vent quite a bit of the sound to the environment, while the MDR-10RNCs are pretty much dead silent to the outside world. Overall I feel that Sony has taken the best aspects of the Bose QC15s and improved upon them. A great option for a NC headphone!

UPDATE #12: V-Moda XS

Last week I swung by the Microsoft Store here in Toronto and in a moment of weakness I picked up the V-Moda XS headphones. And boy am I glad I did! First off, when I first saw the box, I thought: "how the heck did they fit the headphones in this small package"? Then I got it home and opened it up. Holy moly! 
eek.gif
 I thought the beyer T51ps' were about as "portable" headphones on this listing that I'd come across...well, they have been left in the dust in this regard with the XS headphones. Seriously, they're like 1/3rd of the size of the headphones/case of the T51p's. They're almost IEM-like once in their carrying case. This is great design work on the headphones to allow them to collapse into such a small form factor. And the case is very sturdy, compact and easy to take with you! 

And I'm happy to report that they sound great too! Compared to the T51p's, they're what I consider more "neutral" and a bit more open/airy. The T51p's have phenomenal bass that goes deep down low and offers top notch details and control, the XS's in comparison have deep bass (though less of it) and it's not as defined as the beyers. However, the bass overall is still very satisfying and a tad more than what I'd consider as neutral. They do have more bass than say the BeoPlay H6's. The mids are up front and clear and the treble has a very nice sparkle that is somewhat missing on the T51p's (though a bit uneven depending on the recording). In terms of soundstaging, the XS's offer a wider sound scape with a bit more air and space than the T51p's. 

The one weakness is that they don't isolate as well as some of the better isolating headphones on this listing. I guess the good news is that they leak very little sound to the environment, so people around you won't be annoyed with your music, but you won't be as isolated from the outside as you would with the HP50s, T51ps or P7s. Comfort wise though they are very good. I'm surprised that the 2 on-ear headphones (beyer T51p and V-Moda XS) are among the most comfortable of the headphones listed.

Overall, these headphones are real winners. If they isolated like the T51p's, they'd be perfect, but I suppose we can't have it all! If you swing over to innerfidelity.com, you can see their measurements and for such tiny headphones they measure very well and boy do they sound "big". If you're thinking of a portable headphone, you need to consider the XS's.

UPDATE #13: Bose QC25

So on Wednesday I get an email from Bose about the new release of the QC25s. Being a big fan of the QC15s (also on innerfidelity.com's Wall of Fame), I swung by the next day to the Bose Store at lunch and picked up a pair. Right off the bat, the construction has been kicked up a notch by Bose. The headphones are better built, more sturdy, but still very comfortable. Actually even the comfort improved. That was a shock to me as the QC15s were already the most comfortable pair of headphones on this listing, but the QC25s are even more so. They are very well built and the styling has been improved up over the rather bland predecessors. They now come in black and white motifs. And on the US website, you can customize them every which way to Sunday. Though that's an extra $100 and I think the black ones look great as is. Another improvement is that Bose "borrowed" 
wink.gif
 the ingenious method of folding them in the case from the Beats Executive. What this has done is allowed Bose to reduce the size of the case by at least 1/3rd over the QC15s and even the T51ps. A very welcome feature for portable headphones as now they fold up and stow away even easier. But that has come with a small cost...you have to remove the cable in order to fit them in the case. As well, with the QC25s, you no longer get a second headphone cable without the iDevice/mic controller. As I never used that cable, its not an issue for me.

Now, being the King of the Hill of active noise cancelling (ANC), I bet you're all curious if Bose has improved this? Well, after a few days of A-Bing both side by side (I used my pool pump and air conditioner to mimic the background drone of an airplane), I can very safely say that the answer is a resounding YES! While I was able cancel out about 80-85% of the background noise with the QC15s, with the QC25s I was able to cancel approximately 95%. For me that's a substantial improvement! 

With regards to the sound, well, everything seems to have been improved upon too. The bass hits a bit harder, but is tighter and better defined, the mids are more upfront and the treble is more present while offering a smoother presentation. The sound staging / imaging is also wider and deeper on the QC25s. The sound signature hasn't been changed drastically, but the improvements are noticeable across the board. Now the one advantage the QC25s have brought to the table is that they can be listened to WITHOUT the ANC circuitry turned on. So if you run out of a battery (even though the carrying case has a specific holder for a back up battery 
tongue.gif
), you can use them without it. They sound quite serviceable without being turned on, but compared to the ANC mode, they are a bit dull and lifeless in comparison. Some ANC headphones like the Audio Technica's sound very lifeless and almost unlistenable without the circuitry engaged, but the QC25s don't go down that road. They still sound good and lively, but the PSB M4U 2s sounded the best without the circuitry engaged. Those headphones sounded almost as good with it off as with it on. At least with the QC25s now, if you run out of a battery power, the music doesn't need to stop and you can still certainly enjoy it...but in the end, I'd still bring an extra battery and use the holder in the case. 

So in the end I think I'm going to rank these highly for the following reasons: a.) they sound pretty darn good, b.) they're very portable, c.) they isolate/cancel better than any headphone here, and d.) they are VERY comfortable. If you're on a plane/train and are looking for a great pair of ANC headphones, these would be at the top of my list.

UPDATE #14: Sennheiser Momentum On-Ears

Not to be confused with the Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ears, the smaller on-ears may have a familial sound, but fix one big issue I had with their bigger brothers. The treble is thankfully back. I sold off the Momentum Over-Ears due to a significantly pushed back treble (and upper mids) that made it sound as if Chris Botti or Miles Davis were playing literally behind the drummer. While I do appreciate the subdued treble of the LCD-3/2/X/XC, the over-ear Momentums just went much to far for my liking. I did enjoy pretty much everything else about them, but this fatal flaw just kept bugging me every time I put them on my head. So with the latest sale price of $114 at Bestbuy of the on-ears, I jumped hoping that the measurements on innerfideltiy.com that indicated better treble extension where true. Well, I can thankfully say that is indeed the case! 

Construction wise, they are pretty much the same as the larger full sized Momentums; that is to say most excellent! I love the iDevice controls on the headphone cable and thankfully that wasn't changed by Sennheiser. The bass/mids/sound-staging and comfort are all very similar between both headphones. But the treble extension (while never strident, nor bright) is now back to a level that puts both Miles and Chris front and centre. The one "weakness" that the on-ears have (that the over-ears do a better job of) is noise isolation. They are just slightly better than the V-Moda XS headphones and only about "adequate" in this regard. The T51p's offer an above average performance here. The carrying case isn't as fancy as the the over-ear Momentums, but is smaller in size (a good thing as the former case had a hard time fitting into the pocket in the seat ahead of me on an airplane). Overall, if you're looking for a great natural pair of headphones for on the go and noise isolation isn't a top concern, I'd seriously check these out! Especially if you can snag them for $120 or less...simply an outstanding deal in personal audio!

UPDATE #15: Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ears 2 [2015 Edition: Wired Version]

So it's a little deja-vu with the Momentum 2 over-ears. They look very similar to their predecessors, but with some notable improvements. Right off the bat, you will notice that they finally are truly "over-ear" headphones! The previous versions were more like over-sized on-ear headphones. Thankfully Sennheiser has listened to the issues their customers had with the original Momentums and came through in spades with this new version. The earpads are made of a wonderful memory foam that completely conforms to my ears and offers a true "over-ear" experience. As the drivers are moved further from my ears, one of the first sonic differences that I can tell is that the sound staging has been dramatically improved. The original over-ears performed with the middle of the pack on this listing. However, the new design has really improved things in this regard. Listening to Jazz at the Pawnshop with these and my AK100II just leaves me smiling every time. The other added bonus of the new earcups is that the isolation has also drastically improved. Only my Bose QC25i headphones with the NC circuitry engaged offers better isolation (but not by much). Talk about win-win!

Next up, these new headphones have hinges finally that allows them to fold up. This is certainly a very welcomed feature IMO for portable headphones. The new case/headphones take up quite a bit less space than before. With the previous versions I had a hard time fitting them into the pouch in front of me on an airplane. No longer do I have to stuff these into my carry on and have to limit what else I can pack with me on a flight! The construction is very reminiscent of the original Momentums with some nice improvements to the earcups and leather on the headband (and obviously the ear cups). The only downside I can critique these headphones is that the in-line control on the headphone cable doesn't have the same quality/finish that it previously did. It's more in line with the previous on-ear Momentums. Not a biggie, just thought I'd note that.

Now on to the sound (beyond the sound staging improvements)...

According to Sennheiser the drivers were not changed, but Sennheiser did tune them with new damping to better take advantage of the improved earpad design/seal. They sound very much in line with their previous iteration with some very welcomed improvements to my ears. The bass sounds a bit tighter and better controlled. With Tool's "Lateralus", the bass notes hit just as hard, but offer more detail and don't linger as long. With the previous version I felt that the wonderfully rich bass impinged on the mids at times. No longer is that as apparent with the Momentum Over-Ear 2s. The mids thankfully have been unchanged as I was thoroughly satisfied with the original version! Now the other major improvement with the 2015 version comes in the treble. I, at times, found it too subdued with the previous Momentums. But yet again, it appears as if Sennheiser has listened to us and improved this area. No longer is Chris Botti playing behind the drummer on his album "Impressions"...he is now front and centre. The high notes on his trumpet and clean and clear and in proper proportion to the rest of the music. This improved treble response I think contributes to the improved sound staging and imagine of these headphones. 

As you can see as I complete this write up (February 20th, 2015), the new Sennheiser Over-Ear Momentum 2's have moved up to my #1 position. Kudos to Sennheiser for putting to bed all of the previous "issues" we had with the original Momentums! These are wonderful headphones for on the go and I highly recommend them to anyone looking for a great sounding, great looking, portable pair of headphones that offer outstanding noise isolation! Coming soon...my update for the Sennheiser On-Ear Momentum 2s.

UPDATE #16: Sennheiser Momentum On-Ears 2 [2015 Edition: Wired Version]

Sorry for the delay here, but I've had a lot of reviews for Headphone.guru to catch up on. But I've now got some time to write up my thoughts on the "new and improved" Sennheiser Momentum On-Ears 2 (2015 Edition: Wired). While the Over-Ear 2s are what I would classify as a "revolution", the on-ears are more of an "evolution". Their construction is very similar to the originals, but as with the Over-Ears, they earcups now thankfully fold inwards. This serves to reduce the size of the headphones and their corresponding case to make them even more portable. As well, the earcups have been slightly changed to include a gold ring around the white earcups (I have the ivory ones on hand) and they just look that much more classy. The earpads are relatively the same, but tuning wise, I found the treble a little more even and clear. As well, the bass is now more in-line with the mid-range. Comfort overall is quite similar to the originals; which is to say really good. As is the noise isolation and leakage. They are right up there with the best on-ears in this listing for isolation. Styling wise, I think they are the best looking here. Sennheiser has really stepped up to the plate here and I can't think of a better looking on-ear headphone. So if styling is important to you, these would get my vote for #1. 

Back to the sound, I find the frequency response more balanced and thus more transparent. You really don't have to give up on sound quality for smaller and more portable headphones. Yes, you can have your cake and eat it too! If you liked the original Momentums, then you will definitely like these and they should certainly get your consideration if you're in the market for a great pair of on-ear headphones that look amazing and sound just as good! Well done Sennheiser, you're 2 for 2!

UPDATE #17: OPPO PM-3 Planarmagnetic Portable Headphones

The Kind is dead...long live the king! By that I mean there is a new pair of headphones atop this listing and those are the wonderful Oppo PM-3s. While I still very much hold the Sennheiser Momentum 2 over-ears in VERY high regard, they have been indeed overtaken by Oppo's new PM-3s. This is more like a 1 and 1A, but I find myself more pulled in by the very neutral and natural sounding PM-3s. While I would prefer a bit more bass with the PM-3s and wee bit more treble sparkle, I've found these headphones to be likely some of the most neutral closed headphones I've come across. Regardless of being primarily "portable" headphones, I find they they perform with some of the best full-sized TOTL closed headphones I've heard and owned over the years (including the most excellent AKT5p and TH900; though the latter isn't very "neutral" in its sound signature). 

The bass goes down low and and as confirmed with my frequency sweeps (and the measurements over at innerfidelity.com) and is very natural. Never overblown, nor out of control. I find it very satisfying; though with some recordings I can find myself wishing for a few more dB to account for the lack of room gain in this region that speakers can often benefit from. Other than that, I have no complaints with the bass region...it is deep/taught/tight/controlled and rarely lingers more than needed. The detail retrieval in this region is one of the best I've heard here.The mids are equally impressive. Upfront, liquid and detailed are the first three words that jumped out to me when I first heard them with Andrea Bocelli's "Champagne". He has never sounded better to my ears than with the PM-3s and my AK240SS. Now that's not to say that you need to slurge $3000 on a DAP to get them to sound great, I ran them straight out of my iPhone 6, iPad Air and iPod Classic and they sounded sublime without the need for better gear. I now being orthodynamic headphones, many will think that they'll need a lot of power to open up, but the designers at Oppo really worked on the efficiency of these headphones and they do sound quite spectacular out of your cell phone. Now that's not to say that they won't scale with better equipment, because they certainly do. The sonic benefits of better transparency, control and clarity could be easily detected as I moved up from my iDevice to my Astell & Kern AK240SS and all the way up to my main headphone rig (Metrum Acoustics Hex DAC --> HeadAmp GS-X Mk2). So you kind of get the best of both worlds; a wonderful portable headphone that sounds great out of almost anything that you plug them into and a wonderfully detailed and textured pair of closed headphones you can use at home for critical listening in a quiet environment. 

The treble I would classify as extended and detailed, but a little bit subdued. Sparkle is there when the recording calls out for it, but as with the bass, I sometimes found myself wishing for a little more energy to add to the detail that was present, though somewhat "pushed-back". The overall presentation was a very natural sound that was never fatiguing. Sound staging was quite good. Remember these are closed headphones, so wanting an open HD800 sound stage is just wanting too much. While both the AKT5p's and TH900s have the most "open" presentation of the closed headphones I've heard, the PM-3s are not shamed by their performance and are quite similar in this regard to the Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear 2s. 

They are wonderfully built and the quality of the materials and workmanship that went into them is very apparent as soon as you open up the box. They actually look like they cost quite a bit more than their $400 price tag and along with the B&W P7s sit atop this listing for build quality and aesthetics. The portable case that they come with is equally impressive and small. The ear-cups on the headphones fold down and the case is quite flat and can be easily stowed in your carry-on or the pouch of the seat in front of you on a plane during a flight. They are a bit heavy though (being planar-magnetic headphones, the magnet structure does add mass to the headphones) and a bit clampy on my head when compared to some of the really comfortable headphones in this listing (like the QC25s or H6s), but are still quite good for long listening sessions. They isolate very well and are among the leaders in this category. 

So, there we have it...a new leader in this listing. While not the best in all categories, when taken as a sum of the whole, the Oppo PM-3s just hit all the right notes at the right times and really had me coming back for more! Well done Oppo!

UPDATE #18: XTZ Divine Bluetooth Headphones

So timing is kinda funny...I have just completed a review of the Puro Sound BT5200 for Headphone.Guru (and soon to be updated here) and really got to appreciate wireless headphones and the "freedom" that they provide. I no longer had to be chained to my computer, iPhone, or iPad when listening to music. That's when Sonic Defender graciously sent me a PM to loan me his XTZ Divine Bluetooth headphones. I jumped at the opportunity! So after just over a week with them at work I felt ready to update it here. These headphones were quite good right out of the box. Setting up the Bluetooth was a snap and I was off to the races within a few quick clicks. XTZ's DSP software was strongly recommended by Mark (Sonic Defender) and I immediately downloaded it onto my iPhone 6. And boy was I glad I did...when I used iTunes on my iPhone, the Divines were just "good", but the proprietary software really kicked things up a few notches! The software was specifically designed around the XTZ's headphones and optimized the frequency and impulse responses for the Divines. The sound was very much in line with a neutral presentation. So, no Momentum-like bass, but rather a managed and well proportioned bass that is much more in-line with the PM-3s. Quite good actually! The mids were equally impressive and if anything were more forward than most headphones on this listing. Very seductive and really drew me in. The treble was extended and overall quite good. There was a hint of an upper-mid/lower treble "shout" that needed a little EQ TLC, but after that, they were really "easy" headphones to listen to for extended sessions. The build quality was quite good for the $179.99 US that they run, but I very much would have liked to have seen an included storage case. But for about $20, there are many great options available on ebay. They are very light and don't compress your ears...a very good thing for on-ear headphones. But with regards to the fit, the ear-cups wouldn't fully rotate to be perpendicular to the sides of my head and getting a good seal towards the bottom could be a bit cumbersome. This is likely my biggest gripe, but with that in mind, it might be for those of us with "larger melons". 

The Bluetooth functionality worked flawlessly and offered a great range. I could walk around the office and didn't have to worry about straying too far and having the sound start to cut out. There were never any drop outs and the freedom that these wireless headphones offered was very much liberating! Overall I give them a respectable rating and really enjoyed my time with them. I highly recommend you check them out! And thanks again to Sonic Defender for the loan!!!

UPDATE #19: Puro Sound BT5200

Just to keep things easy, I'm going to link to my full review for these brilliant Bluetooth headphones:
http://headphone.guru/puro-sound-labs-bt5200-bluetooth-headphones-incredible-audio-bang-for-your-buck/

Bluetooth headphones have really come a long way and I can really appreciate their advantages. Next up will by the Beats Solo 2 Wireless.

UPDATE #20: Beats Solo2 Wireless Headphones

I guess I shouldn't be surprised just how well the Beats Solo2 Wireless performed after seeing Tyll's review on innerfidelity.com. And their corresponding measurements were equally impressive. The folks at Beats (I suppose Apple) have really come a long way since the initial muddy Beats Studios from several years ago. The Solo2 sound great! Are they coloured? Sure…are they warm, yes, but not overly so and they are a very enjoyable listen! First off, being Beats headphones, the styling is simply among the very best out there. I picked up the silver coloured headphones and they do look quite snazzy. Construction is fairly similar to the 2013 Studios, but these are smaller on-ears and as such a bit more portable.

Comfort is good; though not great. They are a bit clampy on my head, but the added clamping pressure does hold them on securely when I use them walking around as I don’t have to worry about them falling off from physical activity. That said, they are thankfully no where as clampy as the beyer DT1350s that were torture devices on my ears when I wore my glasses. These are a good step up in comfort. Isolation is really good for a headphone without noise cancelling and typically on-ears tend to fall behind their larger over-ear brethren, but the Solo 2 really do a good job here. The Bluetooth functionality is really good and works flawlessly. As well, not having a wired pair of headphones really helps them to be that much more portable. It is quite liberating using Bluetooth headphones and no longer having to worry about having your headphone/earphone cable snag on something as you move about. The range is also quite good too with these headphones and one of the best of the wireless headphones I’ve tried yet.

Sound…well, yes they are Beats. So you will get plenty of bass (though not like the original Studios), but these are not bass canons! The mids are quite good and the lower mids/upper bass does come off as a bit on the “thick” side of things, but never sloppy, nor slow. The treble is subdued and a bit withdrawn, but not drastically rolled off. Imagine is good too. Overall I am really impressed with these headphones. Great portability, great sound, awesome styling, very good isolation and great wireless performance. Definitely check them out! 

Just wanted to also note that these headphones can also be used in a wired mode (with an included cable) if you run out of power from the internal battery and the sonic performance was pretty much the same. So that’s another added bonus!

UPDATE #21: Bang & Olufsen H7 Wireless Headphones

My full review:
http://headphone.guru/the-bang-olufsen-beoplay-h7-wireless-headphones/

UPDATE #22: Audeze SINE Headphones with Cipher Cable

My full review: THE KING IS DEAD, LOVE LIVE THE KING!
http://headphone.guru/the-audeze-sine-portable-headphones-with-cipher-lightning-adapter-brilliant-on-the-go-sound/

UPDATE #23: 1More MK802 Bluetooth Wireless Headphones

My full review: Simply outstanding value!

http://headphone.guru/the-1more-mk802-bluetooth-over-ear-headphones-value-and-performance/

UPDATE #24: Bose QC35 Bluetooth Wireless & NC Headphones

Sorry for the delinquency of this update. I bought my QC35s from the Bose Store on their release date. Here we are several months later and I still own them...a very good thing. 
wink.gif
 Simply put the best noise cancelling headphones just got better. I don't know how the engineers at Bose could improve upon the already excellent QC25s, but with the new refresh QC35, the NC circuitry is even better with more isolation of a wider range of frequencies. Not a leap above the QC25s in this regard, but still quite noticeable! Sound quality has also seen some welcomed refinements as well. Both the mids/treble have a bit more dynamics and punch; whereas the QC25s were a bit too laid back for my tastes. The bass region is roughly unchanged. Construction is just as excellent as the QC25s, but now you can "cut the cord" and don't have to worry about that wire getting in the way as you move about. I've been using wireless headphones more often than not because of this freedom and see a lot of growth in this market segment. Plus, if you have an iPhone 7 (like I do), you won't have to worry losing your headphone jack with a great pair of wireless headphones! Battery life (like the QC25) is excellent and I've never been left stranded without power. Overall, these are the best noise cancelling headphones I've tried. Very good sound quality, world-leading noise cancelling and comfort...very hard to beat!

UPDATE #25: Sony MDR-1000X Bluetooth Wireless & NC Headphones

Well my final 4 words from my Bose QC35 Update were: "...very hard to beat!". So it looks like the engineers at Sony took this challenge on dethroning the noise-cancelling kings...and well..."the king is dead, long live the king". And that new king is indeed the Sony MDR-1000X Noise Cancelling and Bluetooth headphones. I never thought I'd say this, but there is another headphone that cancels noise better than Bose. 
eek.gif
 When it came to drowning out the low frequency background noise from my furnace (which I often use to help mimic being on a plane), the Sony's were a significant improvement. But where they really took command was for higher frequencies. With the QC35s I could hear the washing machine or television vocals, but the Sonys manage to drown them out significantly! 

Sound quality was also in Sony's favour. With tighter and more dynamic bass, more fleshed out mids and generally more sophisticated treble. Sound staging and imaging also goes to the Sony MDR-1000X headphones! Comfort on these headphones is truly excellent! But where the Bose QC35s do indeed pull ahead is still in the area of comfort with a lighter weight and less clamping force (almost no clamping force). Now this is a benefit and and area of concern. For being still, the QC35s are just fine, but if you get up and move around, the lack on any clamping force can unsettle them and require constant re-adjustments to me made. These headphones really have it all, great sound quality, awesome noise isolation and noise cancelling, and a great little carrying case that is very similar to the QC35s in terms of size and protection. Well done Sony!!!!

Here is a quick scoring summary of all of the portable headphones I've tried over the past 14 months:
5 = Excellent
4 = Very good
3 = Adequate
2 = Not adequate
1 = Poor

Headphones
Portability
Construction Quality
Styling
Noise Isolation
NC Ability
Comfort
Bass
Mids
Treble
Imaging
Value
Audeze SINE3.5554.5n/a44.7554.54.55
Sony MDR-1000X5555+5+4.54.54.54.754.55
B&W P7
n/a
Beyer T51p4.54.544n/a4.54.5443.54
Oppo PM-34.054.54n/a445444.5
V-Moda XS5++44.53n/a4.5444.544.5
Sony MDR10RNC445444.544444.5
Bose QC1543.534.254.254.53.53.53.53.53
Bose QC255444.54.5544444.5
Bose QC355444.754.75544.54.544
B&O H6
n/a
Momentum Over-Ears 23.54.554.5n/a54.54.544.55
B&O H734.543.5n/a54.54455
Momentum Over-Ears
n/a
Momentum On-Ears3443n/a4.5443.535 (at the new price)
Momentum On-Ears 244.54.53n/a4.544434.5
AKG K54533.53.52n/a4.542.53.543.5
MDR-1R
n/a
DT-1350
n/a
NAD HP50
n/a
Beats Studio
2013 Ed.
Beats Solo2 Wireless4.5453.5n/a3.544434
Music Fidelity MF-10033.53.52.5n/a2.542.53.53.53.5
Beats Executive (2014 version)
5.0+ 
(black ver.)
(2014 ver.)
KEF M500
n/a
Aviators
n/a
UE9000
Mikros 90543.54n/a23.543.53.55
1More MK802 Wireless33.543.5n/a3.53.53.53.53.55
Puro Sound BT52004444n/a43.53.33.534
XTZ Divine3.53.533n/a33.53.52.533.5
DNA Pro
n/a
PSB M4U 2

Rankings:

Headphones:
Sound Quality Ranking
Overall Ranking
Audeze SINE
1​
1​
Oppo PM-3
2​
2​
Sony MDR-1000X
4​
3​
B&O H7
3​
4​
Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear 2 (2015 version)
6​
5​
Beyer T51p
8​
6​
Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear 2 (2015 Version)
7​
7​
NAD HP-50
5​
8​
Bose QC35
10​
9​
B&W P7
9​
10​
Beats Solo 2 Wireless
11​
   11​
Bose QC25
13​
12​
V-Moda XS
14​
13​
B&O H6
15​
14​
Momentum On-Ear
16​
15​
KEF M500
13​
16​
Sony MDR-10RNC
17​
17​
PSB M4U 2
12​
18​
Bose QC15
20​
19​
1More MK802 Wireless
21​
20​
Puro Sound BT5200
22​
21​
Momentum Over-Ear
18​
22​
MDR-1R
19​
23​
XTZ Divine
23​
24​
Monster DNA Pro
24​
25​
UE9000
25​
26​
Mikros 9
26​
27​
AKG K545
27​
28​
Music Fidelity MF-100
             28​
29​
DT-1350*
29​
30​
Beats Studio 2013 version
30​
31​
Beats Executive (2014 version w/ fixed NC)
31​
32​
Aviators
32​
Beats Executive (older model with a lot of excessive "hissss"
33​
34​
* =  Due to severe inconsistencies in the 5 different pairs of DT1350s that I've heard. Luckily I've heard 4 different pair of T51ps and all sounded pretty much the same. But when I heard a good pair of the DT1350s, they were quite good.

Jul 17, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #3 of 4,373
UPDATE #26: Bose QC35II Bluetooth, Wireless & NC Headphones

If the QC35s couldn't get anymore comfortable, the QC35 II's have upped the bar even further. These are simply the most comfortable headphones on this listing. Not a big change in comfort, but these new "II" version decrease the clamping force to almost non-existent, but somehow these headphones still feel secure on my head. Sound quality and noise canceling abilities are about the same, but what the folks at Bose did was add another button that communicates flawlessly with Google Assistant or can turn your noise canceling to ON/OFF/MAX/MIN all with just one push of a button. Being an Apple user, I prefer to use Siri and thus kept this button to more easily control my NC settings without having to take out my iPhone 8 and open the Bose App and make the appropriate changes. Simply put, these headphones (like the QC35) have the best noise canceling here. Previously I gave the edge to the Sony MDR-1000X, but after careful and direct A-B tests, the QC35 / QC35 II come out on top. You do lose the airplane adapter, but seriously, I haven't been on a plane that uses that clunky old audio adapter in years, so I really don't care. For how they sound, please look at my QC35 update above, just take those headphones, add this extra functionality and improve the comfort and you have the QC 35 II. I love them!

UPDATE #27: Beats Studio 3 Bluetooth, Wireless & NC Headphones

So it took a few years for the engineers at Apple to sort out the Beats Studio headphones. Their last offering the Studio 12 (2013 release) were a major step in the right direction, but Apple has just released the new Studio 3 Wireless headphones with their W1 chip. The previous unit had only an "adequate" level of noise canceling and sounded equally "adequate". Styling was incredible and the new Studio 3s have basically the same form factor; except with all new colours. Having mine for about a week, I have to say that I am really impressed with how these headphones have really improved on things across the board. First off, the noise canceling now is quite good (with minimal hiss or eardrum pressure). I would rate the NC circuitry / capabilities just behind the Bose QC35/QC35 II and Sony MDR-1000X headphones. So Apple has really stepped up their game with noise canceling and I applaud their efforts! I can now finally bring them on an airplane and feel secure knowing that much of the cabin noise will be filtered out. Comfort too has improved with the change to a softer and more pliable earpads. The overall feel is just that much better for it and I can now use these for longer periods with less discomfort.

Also improved is the battery life, now up to 22 hours with NC turned! These headphones also have the ability to turn off the NC to either save on battery life, or if you're like me, when walking around, you want to hear some of the ambient sounds to make sure you don't get hit by a car. :wink:

And finally, sound quality has been improved across the board. Yes, these are Beats headphones and they can really bring the bass, but this bass isn't as overdone as with previous versions and no longer bleeds into the mids. Quality of the bass has also been improved upon with a tighter presentation and control. Mids are upfront and vocals sound clear and transparent. The areas for biggest sonic improvements are in the treble (which now is no longer rolled off; but has more extension and clarity) and sound staging. These headphones sound much "Bigger" and more open and are right there with some of the best headphones in this listing in this regard. Overall, I think Apple has done a great job with these headphones and the "stigma" having Beats headphones for their poor sound quality and noise canceling capabilities should hopefully be wiped clean with the release of the Studio 3s!

Scores.jpg
Rankings.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #5 of 4,373
I'd 100% agree that the PSB is the best. The momentum is only better than the 1r in certain aspects like detail, while the 1r has a better sound stage, better bass, and vocals.

Jul 17, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #7 of 4,373
Quote:
I'd 100% agree that the PSB is the best. The momentum is only better than the 1r in certain aspects like detail, while the 1r has a better sound stage, better bass, and vocals.

Actually, I rated the Momentum's #1 and the PSBs immediately behind them at #1a. 
size]
 The differences weren't that great, that's why I didn't feel the M4U 2s deserved to be at #2. Both are fantastic and why I kept them!
Quote:
Nice comparison Peter.   Well done.

Thanks Frank!

Jul 17, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #8 of 4,373
Nice work Peter. You examined and covered the merits of portable headphones for what they were intended for.

I was comparing a bunch of portables last night and wanted the MDR-1R to do well because they are so comfortable. But that "n" shaped midrange is the fatal flaw, because the frequency extremes just roll off each end and disappear.

I gained some more respect for the Momentum during my comparison. I found I had to crank them up a bit for maximum enjoyment. I still find the bass is thumping just a little bit too much and the extreme top lacks some air. Interestingly, I find the PSB bass slightly vague at times and the top also a wee bit soft. But I agree that these two get the most right out of the bunch you compared because the midrange/treble transition is smooth and seamless on both.

But I haven't mentioned the ones I liked the best
biggrin.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 17, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #9 of 4,373
Quote:
Nice work Peter. You examined and covered the merits of portable headphones for what they were intended for.

I was comparing a bunch of portables last night and wanted the MDR-1R to do well because they are so comfortable. But that "n" shaped midrange is the fatal flaw, because the frequency extremes just roll off each end and disappear.

I gained some more respect for the Momentum during my comparison. I found I had to crank them up a bit for maximum enjoyment. I still find the bass is thumping just a little bit too much and the extreme top lacks some air. Interestingly, I find the PSB bass slightly vague at times and the top also a wee bit soft. But I agree that these two get the most right out of the bunch you compared because the midrange/treble transition is smooth and seamless on both.

But I haven't mentioned the ones I liked the best
biggrin.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Thanks Dave. I also do share your findings with regards to the MDR-1Rs...comfort-wise and sonically too. As well, I agree with your assessments of the Momentums. I don't mind the extra rumble down low, but would prefer the PSB's more airy presentation up top. Between the Sennheisers and PSBs, I think they're quite close and personal preferences come into play.

So which ones do you like best? 
size]

Jul 17, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #10 of 4,373
This is some very valuable info for somebody, in the market, and  not in the possible to test different phones.

well done and thanks for sharing

Jul 17, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #11 of 4,373
Love the 1R. I use it around the house and it sounds great out of any source (laptop, ipad, X3). I found the Momentum's sound too V-shaped from the same sources (except the X3). I prefer the M100's V-shaped sound a little more (energy-wise, bass-wise)

The 1R's comfort can't be understated. The pads' softness, shape and clamp are very forgiving for the head and ears.

Jul 17, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #12 of 4,373
Quote:
Thanks Dave. I also do share your findings with regards to the MDR-1Rs...comfort-wise and sonically too. As well, I agree with your assessments of the Momentums. I don't mind the extra rumble down low, but would prefer the PSB's more airy presentation up top. Between the Sennheisers and PSBs, I think they're quite close and personal preferences come into play.

So which ones do you like best? 
size]

Last night, sonically I liked the MartinLogan Mikros 90 and the KEF M500. But on any given day, my preferences change depending on my mood and type of sound I am looking for. SO I'm no help here
biggrin.gif

And the Mikros 90 and M500 (and Paradigm H15) have fit and isolation issues that factor in to the overall scheme of things..

Jul 17, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #13 of 4,373
Quote:

Last night, sonically I liked the MartinLogan Mikros 90 and the KEF M500. But on any given day, my preferences change depending on my mood and type of sound I am looking for. SO I'm no help here
biggrin.gif

And the Mikros 90 and M500 (and Paradigm H15) have fit and isolation issues that factor in to the overall scheme of things..

Those are two that I still need to hear. Good to see some great speaker manufacturers like PSB, MartinLogan, KEF and Paradigm getting into the headphone market.

Jul 17, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #15 of 4,373
How would the 1350 rank without taking comfort issues in to consideration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back