Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Apr 17, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #4,291 of 4,373
The Onkyo H500BT should be considered I think. It sounds very nice wired or via Bluetooth, it is on-ear but extremely comfortable and most certainly a true portable headphone.

Ooh i was so interested in these!! 5he wired version. After being so impressed sonically with the fc and hf300 i have both

But was so underwhelmed with the ridiculous mmcx connectors, it doesng connect well with shure and other third party mmcx cables

Is the end that plugs into the headphones just a standard 3.5mm?

As in not recessed or locking mechanism?

How do they sound? Anything like the bigger sized fc300? I liked the soundstage and the bass (when outdoors)

Clear midrange and clean albeit slightly artificial treble

Apr 17, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #4,292 of 4,373
Ooh i was so interested in these!! 5he wired version. After being so impressed sonically with the fc and hf300 i have both

But was so underwhelmed with the ridiculous mmcx connectors, it doesng connect well with shure and other third party mmcx cables

Is the end that plugs into the headphones just a standard 3.5mm?

As in not recessed or locking mechanism?

How do they sound? Anything like the bigger sized fc300? I liked the soundstage and the bass (when outdoors)

Clear midrange and clean albeit slightly artificial treble

​The H500BT uses a typical 3.5mm connector at the cup for wired use and it clicks in nicely with a slight recessing. The bass is very nice, not reference clarity, but it is a portable. I posted a review of it that you may find helpful in so much as somebody else's opinion can be. I very much like the H500BT.

Apr 17, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #4,293 of 4,373
​The H500BT uses a typical 3.5mm connector at the cup for wired use and it clicks in nicely with a slight recessing. The bass is very nice, not reference clarity, but it is a portable. I posted a review of it that you may find helpful in so much as somebody else's opinion can be. I very much like the H500BT.

A dam fast reply! Im still itchijg to get the wired still

How loose is the swivel?

Its like off centre a bit, but i think it would be better then the previous fc300

Apr 17, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #4,294 of 4,373
A dam fast reply! Im still itchijg to get the wired still

How loose is the swivel?

Its like off centre a bit, but i think it would be better then the previous fc300

I find the fit and comfort excellent and the swivel seems appropriately tensioned. I have never heard or tried the FC300 so sadly can't comment or compare. I would strongly encourage you to get the wireless as you get far more flexibility and the Bluetooth sounds fantastic, really it does.

Apr 18, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #4,298 of 4,373
Spent a whopping 2,5 hours in the store today.
Momentum 2 on ear and over ear
HD25-1 ii
Beyer T51p and DT1350
Ultrasone 880
Grado sr125e
Grado rs2e

First off, the Grados weren't considered for mobile use. The rs2e will definitely be looked at again when I need new cans for home use, everything sounded great on those, but I'd have to use the big foam pads for comfort.

The sr125e also is quite nice to listen to, really like the sound signature.

Now, to my actual test:
The ultrasone 880 got dumped right away because they were so uncomfortable with my glasses.
The momentum over ears sat much more comfortable and sound really good, very neutral. And boring. Not much fun on the go, I suppose..
The on ear momentum, otoh, is a completely different story. Even boomier than the HD25, and even more recessed in the mids. Everything drowns in bass..
The DT1350 sounds very analytical, amazing voices and detailed mids, great bass too.
In direct comparison to the momentum oe, the beyer sounded weaker​ and a bit harsh, but I ended up liking that sound much more after some getting used to.
Also, the momentum feels extremely delicate. I can't imagine that they'd last many years of outdoors and travel usage. Plus, that booming bass in bound to become annoying.

I asked for the T51p then, to compare it to the HD25 and DT1350.
What a weird feeling, having those "twins" on your head and realising that they aren't twins at all.

The T51p dishes out way too much bass and seems to be less precise/clear in the mids. Overall, not nearly as high quality as the DT1350, IMO.

Re comfort:
The momentum on ear felt very light and comfortable, leaving me wish for more clamping because slightly pushing them to the head improved the sound/isolation.
The t51p was very comfortable too, but the remote annoyed me, as did the tiny, scraping-sound-prone, cable.
The DT1350 was perfect. Very nice fit, feels extremely solid and comfortable.

I ended up ordering the DT1350 facelift and hope that an unused one won't take too long to loosen up a little.

Otoh, I never could relate to all the whine about the "deathgrip" of the HD25 either, so my head seems to be slim enough :D

Apr 18, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #4,299 of 4,373
HD25-1 ii
Beyer T51p and DT1350
Ultrasone 880
Grado sr125e
Grado rs2e

First off, the Grados weren't considered for mobile use. The rs2e will definitely be looked at again when I need new cans for home use, everything sounded great on those, but I'd have to use the big foam pads for comfort.

Now, to my actual test:
The ultrasone 880 got dumped right away because they were so uncomfortable with my glasses.
The momentum over ears sat much more comfortable and sound really good, very neutral. And boring. Not much fun on the go, I suppose..
The on ear momentum, otoh, is a completely different story. Even boomier than the HD25, and even more recessed in the mids. Everything drowns in bass..
The DT1350 sounds very analytical, amazing voices and detailed mids, great bass too.
In direct comparison to the momentum oe, the beyer sounded weaker​ and a bit harsh, but I ended up liking that sound much more after some getting used to.
Also, the momentum feels extremely delicate. I can't imagine that they'd last many years of outdoors and travel usage. Plus, that booming bass in bound to become annoying.

What a weird feeling, having those "twins" on your head and realising that they aren't twins at all.

The T51p dishes out way too much bass and seems to be less precise/clear in the mids. Overall, not nearly as high quality as the DT1350, IMO.

Re comfort:
The momentum on ear felt very light and comfortable, leaving me wish for more clamping because slightly pushing them to the head improved the sound/isolation.
The t51p was very comfortable too, but the remote annoyed me, as did the tiny, scraping-sound-prone, cable.

I ended up ordering the DT1350 facelift and hope that an unused one won't take too long to loosen up a little.

Otoh, I never could relate to all the whine about the "deathgrip" of the HD25 either, so my head seems to be slim enough :D

Awesome. I hate going into headphones shops because they typically don't get many customers and feel almost forced to buy something.

2.5 hours is a really long time xD.

Apr 19, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #4,300 of 4,373
HD25-1 ii
Beyer T51p and DT1350
Ultrasone 880
Grado sr125e
Grado rs2e

Now, to my actual test:

Re comfort:

Otoh, I never could relate to all the whine about the "deathgrip" of the HD25 either, so my head seems to be slim enough
biggrin.gif

Thank you for your review I have added the DT1350 to my list... what were the HD25-1 ii like compared to your older ones?

Apr 19, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #4,301 of 4,373
Actually didn't spend any time comparing the fresh HD25 to my abused ones.
They still sounded super familiar, though.

Also, being that the new ones had the pleather pads vs mine with the velours pads, I guess that would've made quite the difference.

Apr 25, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #4,302 of 4,373
  I've got a pair of the Meze 99 Neo here and I'll be writing up a full review for them on Headphone.Guru, I will also be updating my listing here when that this done. After only a few days with them, I can say they are special headphones!

Patiently await this review... very interested to hear your findings on this new can from Meze... really hoping that these or the Aeons will be the "note"worthy step-up I am looking for to replace/upgrade my H6s though doubtful at this point as I can't seem to match their comfort, imaging/timbre, and portability... nearly resigned to H6s being my end-game until something really new comes out and blows them out of the water.  Cheers.

Apr 26, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #4,303 of 4,373
Patiently await this review... very interested to hear your findings on this new can from Meze... really hoping that these or the Aeons will be the "note"worthy step-up I am looking for to replace/upgrade my H6s though doubtful at this point as I can't seem to match their comfort, imaging/timbre, and portability... nearly resigned to H6s being my end-game until something really new comes out and blows them out of the water. Cheers.

Working on it now. Actually I'm juggling 2 reviews right now, these headphones and the Audeze iSINE20s. Gonna be a fun few weeks!

Apr 28, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #4,304 of 4,373
Patiently await this review... very interested to hear your findings on this new can from Meze... really hoping that these or the Aeons will be the "note"worthy step-up I am looking for to replace/upgrade my H6s though doubtful at this point as I can't seem to match their comfort, imaging/timbre, and portability... nearly resigned to H6s being my end-game until something really new comes out and blows them out of the water. Cheers.
What is going to be your primary use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back