Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Apr 30, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #4,309 of 4,373
Last edited:
May 9, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #4,310 of 4,373
Last edited:
Jun 10, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #4,311 of 4,373
I decided of letting my Sines go, love them but I am honestly getting tired of the whole cable thing, and now that i will be flying more, I decided to get the Sonys. Like some said here, wireless is the way of the future plus so convenient. I would go with the Vmodas but since I need some noise cancelling I think the Sony are the way to go.

Jun 17, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #4,312 of 4,373
I decided of letting my Sines go, love them but I am honestly getting tired of the whole cable thing, and now that i will be flying more, I decided to get the Sonys. Like some said here, wireless is the way of the future plus so convenient. I would go with the Vmodas but since I need some noise cancelling I think the Sony are the way to go.
Maybe try the Sennheiser PXC550s then as well. I have tried them against the Sonys and the Bose QC25s and I bought the PXC550s as they sound better. The Bose still have the best noise cancelling but the PXCs are close enough, but with better SQ.

Jun 25, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #4,315 of 4,373
Been a while since I had anything new to contribute to this thread. I had a chance to try a pair of the Sennheiser HD 4.50BTNC and the store matched an online price of $220CAD so bought them as I thought they sounded very good.

Unfortunately I no longer have the PXC 550 to compared them against sonically so won't be able to do that comparison. But I can say I am enjoying them as much as the 550. Sonically speaking I think they are slightly more V shaped in signature but this might be just my memory playing tricks on me. Considering the 4.50 is around half the cost of the 550 I think its safe to say the 4.50 is the better value. The 550 has extra features such as a touch cup and more premium materials. But the 4.50 certainly doesn't feel cheap and the controls work well enough for me.

Given the price difference between the 4.50 and Bose and Sony I think the 4.50 seriously kicks both their butts as well.

There is one area that I am LOVING the 4.50 the most though. This is the best OUT DOOR ANC headphone I have heard. Every Sony and Hose I have owned or tried suffer from wind noise. The 4.50 has had almost no issues in this regard. It also doesn't do that weird compression thing when a door closes quickly something both Sony and Bose suffer from. ANC wise the 4.50 is pretty much the same as the 550 so it is not quite as cancelling as the Bose or Sony but I actually find it works well in all the ways that matter to me in regards to removing back ground buzzing and chatter.

So in summation I would have to say the HD 4.50BTNC is the new ANC headphone to beat given its price point, essential functionality and sound quality.

Jun 26, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #4,316 of 4,373
OK, some further testing shows a couple of things the 4.50 can not do that the 550 can. These are features that some will not care about but others will find worthy of the 550 price tag.

1. The 4.50 can only pair to one device at a time. The 550 can use 2 devices which is very handy in some situations. Having said that I don't think the Sony can do this either and the Bose might also not have this feature but will let others chime in on this.

2. The 4.50 does not have any customizability in regards to EQ on its own. The 550 has 3 presets plus one customisable EQ.

3. It only supports on mode for ANC as compared to 2 modes on the 550.

Still liking what hear though and while I will miss dual device functionality I can live with out it.

Jun 26, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #4,317 of 4,373
Couple questions on the Audeze Sine. The FR graphs I've seen make it seem it should sound similar to the HD 600, is that true? Also, I've seen complaints on comfort; is it that bad?

Aug 6, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #4,318 of 4,373
I'm looking for some closed portable headphones. I have a few iem's but when I use those, after a while my ears need to rest. I have the Monster Turbine gold, and the Klipsch S4i. The Turbine are used frequently.
I also want to use these headphones as a possible replacement for my Sennheiser HD595. That I use with my computer. I also like these, but after a while they clamp. I have these for over 10 years, and they are just a little tight. So I'm looking for something more comfortable.
I listen to a variety of music, but electronic dance music, pop music, hip hop, and soundtracks the most. I also game at my computer.

I'm looking at the Beoplay H6 s2, and the Sennheiser Momentum 2 over ear? Which one would be best for my needs? Or are there other headphones I should look into?

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #4,319 of 4,373
I'm looking for some closed portable headphones. I have a few iem's but when I use those, after a while my ears need to rest. I have the Monster Turbine gold, and the Klipsch S4i. The Turbine are used frequently.
I also want to use these headphones as a possible replacement for my Sennheiser HD595. That I use with my computer. I also like these, but after a while they clamp. I have these for over 10 years, and they are just a little tight. So I'm looking for something more comfortable.
I listen to a variety of music, but electronic dance music, pop music, hip hop, and soundtracks the most. I also game at my computer.

I'm looking at the Beoplay H6 s2, and the Sennheiser Momentum 2 over ear? Which one would be best for my needs? Or are there other headphones I should look into?
I would consider the Meze 99 Classics or if you can afford them MrSpeakers Aeon headphone. The Meze 99 Classic sounds great with your type of music and works well with computer games. THe 99 Classic goes for about $305 and is a great deal. And if you have the capital you could get MrSpeakers Aeon, which sounds phenomenal and has a very detailed soundstage. The Aeon costs a lot more for this type of TOTL sound, it goes for $700. Please have a good time jamming out.

Aug 6, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #4,320 of 4,373
Thanks. I just found a review of the meze 99 neo @ headphone guru. And a dutch review of the classic. The reviewer found the classic a little tight? I'm worried about that. But these two are an option to.

Beoplay H6
Momentum 2
Meze Neo/ Classic

A shop nearby has the last 2, so I can try those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back