Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Apr 10, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #4,276 of 4,373
I agree Peter they are special headphones. I have some 99 Neo on the way that hopefully should arrive this week. I have really enjoyed the 99 Classics.

The comfort, isolation and sound quality (along with build quality) are all very impressive regardless of the wallet-friendly price!

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #4,277 of 4,373
The comfort, isolation and sound quality (along with build quality) are all very impressive regardless of the wallet-friendly price!

I do agree..If I had one wish from the portability standpoint it would be a different headband contraption. I know the design as it is makes the comfort and adjustability great but it diminishes it's portability. I am glad you are enjoying them.

Apr 11, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #4,278 of 4,373
I do agree..If I had one wish from the portability standpoint it would be a different headband contraption. I know the design as it is makes the comfort and adjustability great but it diminishes it's portability. I am glad you are enjoying them.

+1
Only reason I'm not really considering them. Can't just throw them in you'really bag.

Apr 14, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #4,280 of 4,373
Great overview of impressions.

Since my HD25-1 ii started falling apart after nearly 9 years of extensive outdoors use, time has come for a replacement.

The HD25-1 ii is clearly still among the favourites, but I'm willing to consider others this time around.

The Momentum 2 on ear, the urbanite on ear, Beyer T51p and DT1350 (never had any issues with the clamping of the HD25, even though I wear glasses and use the split headband quite frequently.) and maybe some more in that price range.

Fiio x5 ii functions as my sole player (sometimes the cowon j3 steps in when the battery went out on the fiio)

Apr 16, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #4,283 of 4,373

Burning it in....Pink noise magic

popcorn.gif

Apr 17, 2017 at 6:49 AM Post #4,284 of 4,373
Does burning in really help?
I always thought that this was more of a "placebo" thing where your ears/brain adjust to the sound characteristics.

I know that subwoofers need to "wobble in" when they were in storage for a long time in a less-than-ideal environment, but cannot imagine such tiny drivers to require loads of movement.

Did anyone ever measure before/after states? Like "fresh out of the box" vs "50 hours of pink noise".

Apr 17, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #4,285 of 4,373
I always thought that this was more of a "placebo" thing where your ears/brain adjust to the sound characteristics.

I know that subwoofers need to "wobble in" when they were in storage for a long time in a less-than-ideal environment, but cannot imagine such tiny drivers to require loads of movement.

Did anyone ever measure before/after states? Like "fresh out of the box" vs "50 hours of pink noise".

I will tell you I do feel the majority of burn-in occurs in the brain. I was asked to review the 99 Neo and was asked to do 48 hours of burn-in. I will say with the 99 Classics the sound was a bit overwhelming bass, brand new right out of the box. The sound has improved for the better. Again, brain burn-in vs actual pink noise I don't know, the manufacturer must feel it helps.

Apr 17, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #4,286 of 4,373
Great overview of impressions.

Since my HD25-1 ii started falling apart after nearly 9 years of extensive outdoors use, time has come for a replacement.

The HD25-1 ii is clearly still among the favourites, but I'm willing to consider others this time around.

The Momentum 2 on ear, the urbanite on ear, Beyer T51p and DT1350 (never had any issues with the clamping of the HD25, even though I wear glasses and use the split headband quite frequently.) and maybe some more in that price range.

Fiio x5 ii functions as my sole player (sometimes the cowon j3 steps in when the battery went out on the fiio)

The Onkyo H500BT should be considered I think. It sounds very nice wired or via Bluetooth, it is on-ear but extremely comfortable and most certainly a true portable headphone.

Apr 17, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #4,287 of 4,373

Yes measurements have been done, and only minor differences have been seen if any.

However, frequency response is not the only thing that makes a difference to sound.

Transducers are mechanical devices, and the materials will change a little once they have been flexed.  How long this takes depends on the material (kevlar takes a looooong time).  However it does not manifest itself much in the frequency domain.  Transients and resonances are more affected.

People argue that it must be only brain-burn-in as it always improves the sound.  They forget that all decent products are tuned to their final state using well burnt in drivers, so they are iterating towards the intended design.

Brain-burn-in exists too, so I suspect this discussion will run and run on this forum.  "There can be only one" reason for anything.

Apr 17, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #4,290 of 4,373
  nicer more subdued design imo...doesn't look like it came out of Versace.

I agree, much more understated looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back