Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Feb 3, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #4,246 of 4,373
  Hi everyone I'm trying to decide between the Audio Technica MSR7 and the Sennheiser Momentum 2. I've never listened to either of these so the decision is really hard. It seems like they are both phenomenal headphones and at this point I guess it just comes down to preference in how you like your music/headphones. Problem is I've never had good headphones before and I'm not really sure what my preferences are. I'm sure I'd be happy either way but it's my first time spending so much on headphones so I'd like to get the most out of it I can. Price difference doesn't really matter because right now on amazon the MSR7s are only like $20-30 more so that really doesn't make it a deciding factor. Can anyone tell me the differences or offer any advice? I've been reading so many reviews I'm just way too indecisive. For reference I listen to mostly alternative rock music, here are some bands I listen to a lot: Arctic Monkeys, The Strokes, The Growlers, The Beatles, Temples, Tame Impala, San Cisco, The Last Shadow Puppets. It seems like people say the MSR7s have the best sound quality and are very clear and detailed. This sounds appealing because I really love music and it would be nice to really hear the instruments. Then again people say the Momentums are more warm and smooth. That sounds nice for listening for long periods or for audio files that aren't super high quality (most of mine are 256 or 320) but I'm reeeally not sure. I'm sure they must have great sound quality too. I was recommended the MSR7s by someone that's into high end audio and everyone says they are super accurate. That sounds great but then again that doesn't mean it's good for the average customer that's not analytical/audiophile and just wants a relaxing sound. I don't know, I guess I should stop saying opinions about headphones that I've never tried and let you guys tell me what you think. I'm just a college student I definitely don't have a lot of experience with this stuff. Also, I suppose factors other than sound are important like comfort, build quality, and noise isolation/leakage etc so a full rundown would be great.

What is your music source (DAP, smartphone, home system)?

From what I have read, ATH-MSR7 may be too bright for some people, so Momentum is at least a safer choice if you plan to buy without prior listening.

Feb 3, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #4,248 of 4,373
I have a pair for sale at a great price. You can try them and sell them at little or no loss. I'm only selling because I have Ether C's now.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/833973/sennheiser-momentum-2-0-ivory-wired-ios#post_13222788

Feb 4, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #4,250 of 4,373
I have both oppo pm-3 that bowers & wilkins p7 wireless ... i prefer the live sound of p7, with greater soundstage, and more enjoyable sound, but I can give you back to bowers & wilkins .... who has experience in about to tell me whether oppo pm-3 with dac oppo ha-2 sounds more fun than p7w? so with the money returned I will take this Dac ha-2 what do you think? HELP ME firends!

Feb 28, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #4,251 of 4,373
thnx for the review! the sony really almost good as the audeze sine in terms of SQ in your ranking, wow!
now if you could review the  thesennheiser pxc 550 to see who the king it will be great!
not to mention the mr speakers Aeon but its 700$ headphone so it will be surely take number one spot.

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #4,252 of 4,373
  thnx for the review! the sony really almost good as the audeze sine in terms of SQ in your ranking, wow!
now if you could review the  thesennheiser pxc 550 to see who the king it will be great!
not to mention the mr speakers Aeon but its 700$ headphone so it will be surely take number one spot.

Lol, sounds expensive! 

If anyone wants to loan me a pair, I'm happy to add these headphones.

Cheers!

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #4,254 of 4,373
Ill be happy to loan you the Aeon whenever I get them in late Apr, however I suspect the Aeon will not be a truly portable headphone.

I would agree with the Aeon not being ideal for portability....thanks for the offer!

Mar 1, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #4,256 of 4,373
My portables...Sony 7520

After fixing some squeaky joints, these have been my favs. In our cold Canadian climate, these actually are even a bit more comfortable over a toque. Plus, it relieves a bit of the extra bass and kind of balances them out a bit more :wink: 

Mar 1, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #4,257 of 4,373
  After fixing some squeaky joints, these have been my favs. In our cold Canadian climate, these actually are even a bit more comfortable over a toque. Plus, it relieves a bit of the extra bass and kind of balances them out a bit more :wink: 

I've not got any squeaks...I presume my daily intake of good essential fatty acids (EFAs)
wink.gif
 is spilling over.
and with ambient noise outside (being in portable situations) i don't need $$$ultra expensive cans...also
have my FLC 8S...but those new Sony Z1R sure do look enticing, too.....kudos to Sony
for ramping up things with their signature series headphone amp, new $$$DAP and cans.

Mar 1, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #4,258 of 4,373
Hi everyone I'm trying to decide between the Audio Technica MSR7 and the Sennheiser Momentum 2. I've never listened to either of these so the decision is really hard. It seems like they are both phenomenal headphones and at this point I guess it just comes down to preference in how you like your music/headphones. Problem is I've never had good headphones before and I'm not really sure what my preferences are. I'm sure I'd be happy either way but it's my first time spending so much on headphones so I'd like to get the most out of it I can. Price difference doesn't really matter because right now on amazon the MSR7s are only like $20-30 more so that really doesn't make it a deciding factor. Can anyone tell me the differences or offer any advice? I've been reading so many reviews I'm just way too indecisive. For reference I listen to mostly alternative rock music, here are some bands I listen to a lot: Arctic Monkeys, The Strokes, The Growlers, The Beatles, Temples, Tame Impala, San Cisco, The Last Shadow Puppets. It seems like people say the MSR7s have the best sound quality and are very clear and detailed. This sounds appealing because I really love music and it would be nice to really hear the instruments. Then again people say the Momentums are more warm and smooth. That sounds nice for listening for long periods or for audio files that aren't super high quality (most of mine are 256 or 320) but I'm reeeally not sure. I'm sure they must have great sound quality too. I was recommended the MSR7s by someone that's into high end audio and everyone says they are super accurate. That sounds great but then again that doesn't mean it's good for the average customer that's not analytical/audiophile and just wants a relaxing sound. I don't know, I guess I should stop saying opinions about headphones that I've never tried and let you guys tell me what you think. I'm just a college student I definitely don't have a lot of experience with this stuff. Also, I suppose factors other than sound are important like comfort, build quality, and noise isolation/leakage etc so a full rundown would be great.
Pls get the momentum 2. It's very comfortable and sleek. No regrets . If you want the best Sine that is

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #4,259 of 4,373

Cold Canadian climate? Maybe in Alberta or Manitoba....15'C today in Toronto. 
tongue.gif

Mar 2, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #4,260 of 4,373
Colder than HEdoublehockeysticks here in Alberta! Glad to have had the PXC550 as earmuffs this winter :). Today was nicer though, only -1. But earlier in the week -18C which just sucks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back