Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Dec 11, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #4,216 of 4,373
  incredible guide, congratulations for the great work, awesome!!!

I have some doubts and I would like you solve them if it is possible:

First of all, I won't buy an amp and I will only use my cans with my one plus 3 and my motherboard without sound card dedicated.

I'm looking for portable closed back circumaural wired headphones. Actually I'm testing sony mdr 1r-a, but how much is the difference between this model and previous mdr-1r?? I have also read in this website the possibility of mod this headphone with dynamat, do you think it is worth the time and extra money?

I have also tested v-moda m100 but I experimented clamping force of headband and also heat in the earpads. So by the way I prefer sony ones.

Nevertheless, reading your guide, I think there are better options. Comfort is the most important value for me, and also the easy of drive them. After that, obviously the sound they provide.

Filtering by these conditions, I found my best headphones are: 

- Momentum over-ears 2.0 and oppo pm-3. I could buy momentum for 170€ but oppo is much expensive. So between these two, I'd choose momentum obviously.

Final question:

I bought on black friday sony mdr-1a for ridiculous 90€ as new in amazon uk, but as I said momentum costs 170€. Really it worths the extra price???

Many thanks in advance. I'd appreciate other recommendations (but no wireless, bluetooth or NC)

Thanks! With regards to an independent amplifier, I purposely tested all the headphones here with just my iDevice as I wanted a truly "portable solution" as you mentioned. But for those on a budge, the Cayin i5 DAP and Chord Mojo offer outstanding value and sound great! Between the Momentum 2 and Oppo PM-3, you can see which I rated higher (and why). But that's quite a bit of financial difference between them. The Momentum 2 is a more earthy, bassy headphone and the PM-3 is incredibly transparent and neutral.  Great pick up on the MDR-1a...great headphones too.
  I'm curious if Meze 99 can be added to the rating? Interested in how it compares to the leaders.

I really liked them when I heard them at RMAF, but I'd need a much closer listen to post them here. I've asked for a loaner and that kinda fell through the cracks...I'll ask again after the holidays. 
smile.gif

Dec 12, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #4,218 of 4,373
  I really liked them when I heard them at RMAF, but I'd need a much closer listen to post them here. I've asked for a loaner and that kinda fell through the cracks...I'll ask again after the holidays. 
smile.gif

Thanks! I'm also curious about Thinksound On2.

Dec 12, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #4,219 of 4,373
  so you think it is worth the upgrade to momentum 2.0 from my sony???

thanks for your response, you are a crack!!

Depends what you're after? Both are great headphones, but in the end I preferred the M2s.

Thanks! I'm also curious about Thinksound On2.

Me too. 
wink.gif

Dec 19, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #4,221 of 4,373
  Me too. 
wink.gif

The On2 is a wonderful little on-ear. Love the design, build, comfort (esp. for an on-ear), but most importantly their sound. Warm, detailed, easy-going. Don't have a ton of headphones to compare to, but it eclipses my previous favorites (AKG K553 Pro and U6000) by a wide margin. Should have my review of them up pretty soon. 

Dec 19, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #4,222 of 4,373
Hey mates!!!

I've just read about new sennheiser ones, hd 598cs and hd 569. I don't mind at all that they are not foldable. So I've googled them but didn't find nice professional reviews, specially in the case of the hd 569 ones.

Also I can't find the difference between these two. Could anyone help?

Thanks

Jan 19, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #4,227 of 4,373
I'm not an audiophile, but I love good listening, understood as "cinematic" sound: large soundstage, bass boosted, high treble, and mid present but not prominent, great dynamics and musicality. I watch films with iMac 27 "ipad and tv .... I heard the following headphones:
Momentum 2.0 over ear
bowers & wlkins p7
oppo-3 pm
beyerdynamic DT 770 16 Ohm
bose quiet comfort 35
as evaluation parameters by a scale from 1 to 5 I rated as parameters:
soundstage, treble, bass, mid and comfort

soundstage:
m2 .......... 3
p7 ........... 4
03 pm-2 ....
dt 770 .... 4.5
qc35 ....... 4

high
m2 .......... 3.5
p7 ........... 4.5
pm-03 .... 3.5
dt 770 .... 4
qc35 ....... 4

Bass
m2 .......... 4
p7 ........... 4.5
03 pm-4 ....
dt 770 .... 4.5
qc35 ....... 4.5
mids
m2 .......... 4
p7 ........... 3.5
pm-03 .... 4.5
dt 770 .... 2
qc35 ....... 3.5

comforts
m2 .......... 3.5
p7 ........... 2
3 pm-03 ....
dt 770 .... 5
qc35 ....... 4

portability:
m2 .......... 4
p7 ........... 4
pm-03 .... 4.5
dt 770 .... 2.5
qc35 ....... 5

Average points:
m2 .......... 18
p7 ........... 18.5
pm-03 .... 17
dt 770 .... 20
qc35 ....... 20
are subjective observations, on my taste for listening and use my expectations. I know I've neglected for many other fundamental aspects.
From this "competition" the best would seem the dt 770 for value for money, while the absolute perhaps bose are a little bit higher. What do you think?

Jan 19, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #4,228 of 4,373
Well I have had a few on your list. I would prefer the M2 over the one's on your list I have had. It is difficult to beat the mids on the Sennhesiser. I think they are more portable than the pm-3. The only one on the list I would like to try would be the P7 but I don't think I ever will.

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #4,229 of 4,373
  Well I have had a few on your list. I would prefer the M2 over the one's on your list I have had. It is difficult to beat the mids on the Sennhesiser. I think they are more portable than the pm-3. The only one on the list I would like to try would be the P7 but I don't think I ever will.

the m2 I tried them, too anonymous in the presentation of the scene, for audiophiles definitely a plus, but for my taste was too dull colored and maybe that's why I own pm-3 does not excite me, pushing me toward more "commercial headphones ". The one I liked most of all is the p7 with the only fault that is too uncomfortable.
The bose qc35 is the one that comes closest, but as quality does not exceed the p7. The DT 770 is very comfortable, and huge soundstage for closed cap, just really in the middle is empty, but in the Value beats them all imho .... I go over with other headphones or I reduce everything to qc35-DT770 choice?

Jan 25, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #4,230 of 4,373
I have a new pair of Sony MDR-1000X NC headphones in house. Will add them to this listing once I get to know them better. In case anyone is interested, my Bose QC35s are listed for sale (see my signature for further details). 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back