Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Jan 25, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #4,231 of 4,373
Well...sold my QC35s. Did one full evening of A-Bing them and while I was very much a skeptic about the NC abilities of the Sony's; as all other NC headphones I've tried have failed miserably, the MDR-1000X are in fact better in this regard. And not by a bit, but a good step up. They where better at drowning out my furnace completely; whereas the QC35s still let some noise through. Where the NC really shines is with higher frequencies. If the TV is on, I can pretty well make out what they are saying, on the Sony's they are drowned out. Wow!

Sound quality is better on the Sony's too. They are not as comfortable as the Bose, but they are still very, very comfy in their own right. More to come...

Jan 26, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #4,232 of 4,373
What is your opinion of the touch controls?  I had them for a day and had a horrible time with the controls.  I had to tap in the EXACT right spot to play/pause.  I couldn't get past that to really make a judgement on sound/ANC.

Jan 26, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #4,233 of 4,373
+1 on fussy touch controls.  I'm not a big fan of touch controls, accidental touches always ruin the experience for me.

Look forward to hearing @MacedonianHero's impressions of the Sony especially since he also had the Bose QC35 as a reference.  

Quote:
  What is your opinion of the touch controls?  I had them for a day and had a horrible time with the controls.  I had to tap in the EXACT right spot to play/pause.  I couldn't get past that to really make a judgement on sound/ANC.

Jan 26, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #4,234 of 4,373

I have used them now for a full solid day and never once did I find the touch controls fussy. It worked every time I used it. I much prefer the MDR-1000X's controls to the QC35s that needed some fiddling and even removal off my head to get going. Plus, there FF and REW a song on the Sony's is a big plus. I also really enjoy the cup your hand over the right ear-cup to hear what's going on. 

Jan 26, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #4,235 of 4,373

I have used them now for a full solid day and never once did I find the touch controls fussy. It worked every time I used it. I much prefer the MDR-1000X's controls to the QC35s that needed some fiddling and even removal off my head to get going. Plus, there FF and REW a song on the Sony's is a big plus. I also really enjoy the cup your hand over the right ear-cup to hear what's going on. 

in many reviews i've come across it seems that these Sonys are besting the Bose
(and many others) not just for being noise cancelling but also for their audio quality..good for Sony.

Jan 26, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #4,236 of 4,373
  in many reviews i've come across it seems that these Sony's are besting the Bose (and many others) not just for being noise cancelling but also for their audio quality..good for Sony.

After a day, I agree with them. The Sony's have finally taken down Bose from the top of the heap with regards to NC headphones. They best them in every way except for comfort. While still quite comfy, the Bose are just a bit better in that regard.

Feb 1, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #4,237 of 4,373
Updated my Comparative Review to add the new amazing Sony MDR-1000X headphones! They are keepers!!! 
L3000.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-34-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around#post_9622611

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #4,238 of 4,373
  Updated my Comparative Review to add the new amazing Sony MDR-1000X headphones! They are keepers!!! 
L3000.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-34-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around#post_9622611

May check them out I am still using my Momentum 2.0 bluetooth

Feb 2, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #4,239 of 4,373
L3000.gif

Looks great! I'm curious if they have any more budget wired analog with the same sound (no need to go wireless for me personally)

Feb 2, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #4,240 of 4,373
Any plans to test the P7 Wireless?  With the original P7 still in your top 10 and looking at some of your other top 5, I'm pretty sure even without the ANC these would land in the top 5.

I really want to love those Sony's, but they completely butchered the controls.  Just give me buttons.  I use my headphones at my desk all day and have frequent interruptions.  I need to be able to pause my music and take them off easily and I just could not get the right spot on those to pause the music within 5 tries.  The M2 and P7 I just grab the right earcup and the pause button is right at my thumb.

Feb 2, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #4,241 of 4,373
  Any plans to test the P7 Wireless?  With the original P7 still in your top 10 and looking at some of your other top 5, I'm pretty sure even without the ANC these would land in the top 5.

I really want to love those Sony's, but they completely butchered the controls.  Just give me buttons.  I use my headphones at my desk all day and have frequent interruptions.  I need to be able to pause my music and take them off easily and I just could not get the right spot on those to pause the music within 5 tries.  The M2 and P7 I just grab the right earcup and the pause button is right at my thumb.

I kinda did, then saw Tyll's review of the Wireless P7s on his website. Based on their measurements it looks like the wireless version is fairly close to the wired version and everything remains the same...so the score would most likely be right were the wired P7s are. 
redface.gif

Feb 2, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #4,242 of 4,373

I kinda did, then saw Tyll's review of the Wireless P7s on his website. Based on their measurements it looks like the wireless version is fairly close to the wired version and everything remains the same...so the score would most likely be right were the wired P7s are. 
redface.gif

Fair enough.  It is, after all, a very subjective hobby.

Feb 3, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #4,244 of 4,373
Hi everyone I'm trying to decide between the Audio Technica MSR7 and the Sennheiser Momentum 2. I've never listened to either of these so the decision is really hard. It seems like they are both phenomenal headphones and at this point I guess it just comes down to preference in how you like your music/headphones. Problem is I've never had good headphones before and I'm not really sure what my preferences are. I'm sure I'd be happy either way but it's my first time spending so much on headphones so I'd like to get the most out of it I can. Price difference doesn't really matter because right now on amazon the MSR7s are only like $20-30 more so that really doesn't make it a deciding factor. Can anyone tell me the differences or offer any advice? I've been reading so many reviews I'm just way too indecisive. For reference I listen to mostly alternative rock music, here are some bands I listen to a lot: Arctic Monkeys, The Strokes, The Growlers, The Beatles, Temples, Tame Impala, San Cisco, The Last Shadow Puppets. It seems like people say the MSR7s have the best sound quality and are very clear and detailed. This sounds appealing because I really love music and it would be nice to really hear the instruments. Then again people say the Momentums are more warm and smooth. That sounds nice for listening for long periods or for audio files that aren't super high quality (most of mine are 256 or 320) but I'm reeeally not sure. I'm sure they must have great sound quality too. I was recommended the MSR7s by someone that's into high end audio and everyone says they are super accurate. That sounds great but then again that doesn't mean it's good for the average customer that's not analytical/audiophile and just wants a relaxing sound. I don't know, I guess I should stop saying opinions about headphones that I've never tried and let you guys tell me what you think. I'm just a college student I definitely don't have a lot of experience with this stuff. Also, I suppose factors other than sound are important like comfort, build quality, and noise isolation/leakage etc so a full rundown would be great.

Feb 3, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #4,245 of 4,373
Hi everyone I'm trying to decide between the Audio Technica MSR7 and the Sennheiser Momentum 2. I've never listened to either of these so the decision is really hard. It seems like they are both phenomenal headphones and at this point I guess it just comes down to preference in how you like your music/headphones. Problem is I've never had good headphones before and I'm not really sure what my preferences are. I'm sure I'd be happy either way but it's my first time spending so much on headphones so I'd like to get the most out of it I can. Price difference doesn't really matter because right now on amazon the MSR7s are only like $20-30 more so that really doesn't make it a deciding factor. Can anyone tell me the differences or offer any advice? I've been reading so many reviews I'm just way too indecisive. For reference I listen to mostly alternative rock music, here are some bands I listen to a lot: Arctic Monkeys, The Strokes, The Growlers, The Beatles, Temples, Tame Impala, San Cisco, The Last Shadow Puppets. It seems like people say the MSR7s have the best sound quality and are very clear and detailed. This sounds appealing because I really love music and it would be nice to really hear the instruments. Then again people say the Momentums are more warm and smooth. That sounds nice for listening for long periods or for audio files that aren't super high quality (most of mine are 256 or 320) but I'm reeeally not sure. I'm sure they must have great sound quality too. I was recommended the MSR7s by someone that's into high end audio and everyone says they are super accurate. That sounds great but then again that doesn't mean it's good for the average customer that's not analytical/audiophile and just wants a relaxing sound. I don't know, I guess I should stop saying opinions about headphones that I've never tried and let you guys tell me what you think. I'm just a college student I definitely don't have a lot of experience with this stuff. Also, I suppose factors other than sound are important like comfort, build quality, and noise isolation/leakage etc so a full rundown would be great.

the choice is difficult because the headphones are many and they all sound different. my advice is to understand the features of your favorite sound (bass / mids / hight / soundstage etc). once detected try headphones giving the answer as your favorite kind of sound. so the forum can give you a hand. imho

Ps
can help even share listening to some tracks where it expresses a preference for the kind of performance for that song

Users who are viewing this thread

Back