Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Mar 2, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #3,841 of 4,373

As a previous owner of MDR-1A, the MDR-1A doesn't even came close M1, so the best bet will be M2 from my own opinion. Ever consider B&O H6?

I didn't it hear the m1 that way. I went to compare the M1 directly against the 1A at my audio shop and I have to admit the M1 was rather dull and flat I thought through my rig. I hear the M2 is much improved. We all hear different obviously, but to my ears, remove the bass bloat potential of the 1A and the sounded better than the M1. Just an opinion, not fact of course.

Mar 2, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #3,842 of 4,373
Thanks for the reply! Will have to try the B&O H6 in store to get a better feel for it, looks great though. Would you recommend it over the M2? Any particular reason for ranking the M2 so far over the MDR-1ADAC? I thought the built in DAC would be pretty neat and most of the reviews seemed very positive. If you have any other recommendations for that price range that'd be great (even though the decision is hard as is haha).

Mar 2, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #3,843 of 4,373
Have you tried the MDR-1ADAC by any chance? I don't currently own a DAC so I thought having one built in would be nice.
  I didn't it hear the m1 that way. I went to compare the M1 directly against the 1A at my audio shop and I have to admit the M1 was rather dull and flat I thought through my rig. I hear the M2 is much improved. We all hear different obviously, but to my ears, remove the bass bloat potential of the 1A and the sounded better than the M1. Just an opinion, not fact of course.

Mar 2, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #3,844 of 4,373
Sorry mate, haven't recently listened to the M2, and I have never heard the 1ADAC, although like you I have read good things about it. I would ask how you will bypass the DAC in your source? I assume you are using a smartphone on the go? If so it will be using the SoC for audio on the CPU or hardware DAC it has. So if that is the case for you, does your source allow a pure digital output that the DAC in the Sony can accept? Otherwise, if you are just using the 3.5mm out on your source to the headphone you can't take advantage of the Sony DAC. Personally, where possible I like to control the source so having the DAC and amp built into the headphone does remove that flexibility from you (depending on your source).

Frankly, most competent DACs these days will sound more similar than they will different so if your current source sounds very good to you, you can simply enjoy a headphone of your preference. So what is your current source that you are considering the 1ADAC to use with?

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #3,845 of 4,373
  Sorry mate, haven't recently listened to the M2, and I have never heard the 1ADAC, although like you I have read good things about it. I would ask how you will bypass the DAC in your source? I assume you are using a smartphone on the go? If so it will be using the SoC for audio on the CPU or hardware DAC it has. So if that is the case for you, does your source allow a pure digital output that the DAC in the Sony can accept? Otherwise, if you are just using the 3.5mm out on your source to the headphone you can't take advantage of the Sony DAC. Personally, where possible I like to control the source so having the DAC and amp built into the headphone does remove that flexibility from you (depending on your source).

Frankly, most competent DACs these days will sound more similar than they will different so if your current source sounds very good to you, you can simply enjoy a headphone of your preference. So what is your current source that you are considering the 1ADAC to use with?

From what I have read it makes use of the Lightning ports on iPads and iPhones. And when using it on the PC it connects over USB to get the digital signal. So my current sources would be my PC and iPhone/iPad, though I am considering getting a high res player now that I find myself falling deeper down the audio goodness rabbit hole.

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #3,846 of 4,373

From what I have read it makes use of the Lightning ports on iPads and iPhones. And when using it on the PC it connects over USB to get the digital signal. So my current sources would be my PC and iPhone/iPad, though I am considering getting a high res player now that I find myself falling deeper down the audio goodness rabbit hole.

Don't stress over high resolution much, there is no evidence that I have ever read that above 16bits you can hear the difference. You can't really buy a DAP or source that doesn't do high resolution now so that isn't the issue, the issue is re-purchasing a music library. Before doing so see if you can do a blind listening test of a 16 bit version and a higher bit rate version of the same song. You need to make sure the volume levels are matched. One "trick" high resolution re-issues of previously released material use is they master the tracks louder. If something is louder up until it distorts, people perceive it as sounding better. I have a few albums here with 24bit and 16bit versions and I can't hear any difference. Just don't blindly rush down the hole, remember, most people, if mot the vast majority of those who say they hear a difference do no testing at all beyond listening sighted. Regardless, we all  do what makes us feel pleasure in the hobby so if you don't really care one way or the other simply spend money on high resolution albums and be content.

We really aren't supposed to mention any science in these forums so if you are actually on the cusp of spending lots of extra money for high resolution versions of your music, do spend some time in the Sound Science forum where discussion of evidence is allowed.

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #3,847 of 4,373
  Don't stress over high resolution much, there is no evidence that I have ever read that above 16bits you can hear the difference. You can't really buy a DAP or source that doesn't do high resolution now so that isn't the issue, the issue is re-purchasing a music library. Before doing so see if you can do a blind listening test of a 16 bit version and a higher bit rate version of the same song. You need to make sure the volume levels are matched. One "trick" high resolution re-issues of previously released material use is they master the tracks louder. If something is louder up until it distorts, people perceive it as sounding better. I have a few albums here with 24bit and 16bit versions and I can't hear any difference. Just don't blindly rush down the hole, remember, most people, if mot the vast majority of those who say they hear a difference do no testing at all beyond listening sighted. Regardless, we all  do what makes us feel pleasure in the hobby so if you don't really care one way or the other simply spend money on high resolution albums and be content.

We really aren't supposed to mention any science in these forums so if you are actually on the cusp of spending lots of extra money for high resolution versions of your music, do spend some time in the Sound Science forum where discussion of evidence is allowed.

That is really good advice and thanks for pointing me to that forum, sounds pretty interesting. I will likely just continue using my iPad and iPhone anyway as it is more convenient. As far as repurchasing music library, I was thinking of a high res audio stream, but I will do a test first like you suggested (as soon as I get a pair of nice headphones to actually hear the differences). Now if I could only make up my mind about which headphones to actually buy :) . Perhaps a visit to the store may help, but I am very intrigued by the mdr-1adac. Will have to check out the M2s, and the H6 as well (and now I am reading about NAD HP50...). Though for a newbie like me I'm doubtful I will even hear any differences right away at the store.  

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #3,848 of 4,373
  That is really good advice and thanks for pointing me to that forum, sounds pretty interesting. I will likely just continue using my iPad and iPhone anyway as it is more convenient. As far as repurchasing music library, I was thinking of a high res audio stream, but I will do a test first like you suggested (as soon as I get a pair of nice headphones to actually hear the differences). Now if I could only make up my mind about which headphones to actually buy :) . Perhaps a visit to the store may help, but I am very intrigued by the mdr-1adac. Will have to check out the M2s, and the H6 as well (and now I am reading about NAD HP50...). Though for a newbie like me I'm doubtful I will even hear any differences right away at the store.  

I'm not sure there are high resolution streaming services, but I could be wrong about that. I had the HP50. It is a nice headphone, very easy to listen to for sure. Do take some time reading about high resolution as it is really not discussed much outside of the Sound Science forums.

Mar 2, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #3,849 of 4,373
You can use the Tidal streaming service for high res audio just fyi.

Also while on the topic of high res audio and different sources, I'm just gonna say that different headphones will make a MUCH more noticeable change than swapping to a high res audio player. I'd definitely just stick with your ipad and phone for the time being until you get some headphones you really enjoy. Then you can decide whether it's worth getting a new audio player or not. 
smily_headphones1.gif

As for headphones, the mdr-1a (haven't tried the dac version) is a fun headphone with a nice soundstage and they're ridiculously comfy.
H6 have a more nicely balanced sound although with a lot less bass kick than the 1a which makes them sound a little less fun, albeit a little more natural though, pretty much the same comfort although they do cost a lot more.
M2 I didn't hear for too long but they seemed to be about in the middle of the 1a and the h6. Less bass oriented than the 1a but not quite as balanced as the h6 imo. A little less comfy than both (still comfortable) but also quite expensive. 

That's my 2c on a few of those choices!

Mar 2, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #3,850 of 4,373

How? What high resolution material do they have? It must be a absolutely tiny fraction of the Tidal library.

Mar 3, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #3,851 of 4,373

Also while on the topic of high res audio and different sources, I'm just gonna say that different headphones will make a MUCH more noticeable change than swapping to a high res audio player. I'd definitely just stick with your ipad and phone for the time being until you get some headphones you really enjoy. Then you can decide whether it's worth getting a new audio player or not. 
smily_headphones1.gif

As for headphones, the mdr-1a (haven't tried the dac version) is a fun headphone with a nice soundstage and they're ridiculously comfy.
H6 have a more nicely balanced sound although with a lot less bass kick than the 1a which makes them sound a little less fun, albeit a little more natural though, pretty much the same comfort although they do cost a lot more.
M2 I didn't hear for too long but they seemed to be about in the middle of the 1a and the h6. Less bass oriented than the 1a but not quite as balanced as the h6 imo. A little less comfy than both (still comfortable) but also quite expensive. 

That's my 2c on a few of those choices!

How? What high resolution material do they have? It must be a absolutely tiny fraction of the Tidal library.

Tidal is not HiRes - it's lossless streaming. FLAC 16/44.1 the resolution is the same as any mp3 or AAC(mp4) - the compression is different (lossless) not the resolution.

Cheers.

Mar 3, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #3,852 of 4,373

Tidal is not HiRes - it's lossless streaming. FLAC 16/44.1 the resolution is the same as any mp3 or AAC(mp4) - the compression is different (lossless) not the resolution.

Cheers.

I know that, I was kind of trying to get the OP to think about it and answer me! You would be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't) how many people get bit depth and sample rate confused.

Mar 3, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #3,853 of 4,373

I know that, I was kind of trying to get the OP to think about it and answer me! You would be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't) how many people get bit depth and sample rate confused.

Yes, sorry, wrong quoting - it was directed to Bark Snarly. And I agree, HiRes, Hifi, lossless, compression codecs, etc. lots of misconceptions out there 
blink.gif

Mar 3, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #3,854 of 4,373
Woops yea, not hi res, just lossless. Had a complete brain fart there... Sorry for any confusion!

I get my hi res stuff from hdtracks but now that I think about it, I don't think there is a service that streams it. Probably uses too much bandwidth to make it worthwhile for the small percentage of people that would actually use the service. 

Mar 3, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #3,855 of 4,373

I had the chance to try both for few weeks at the same time. And here is what I heard when compare with them side-by-side:

To my ears maybe 1A is slightly cripsy and details, but M1 is better in overall package. And the 1A bass is just as good...has enough bass but terribly uncontrolled, kind of mess.

And now I am settle with B&O H6, for my ears, it is much better overall compare the two above, better treble, mid, bass and its bass is solid, punchy and not over saturated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back