Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Jan 27, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #3,796 of 4,373
For all genre, slightly bass orientated purposes, momentum 2.0 over ears, Beyerdynamic t51 or Sony MDR-1A?

PM3 for sure. It has the advantage of being internally wired balanced so if you ever buy a portable player that has balanced output, such as AK players, the Onkyo DP-X1 to name a few, you can take advantage of the balanced output which at a minimum provides more volume. Not to mention the quality of the bass is fairly advanced beyond the 1A, which is good, but more boom and bloom with the Sony than with the oppo.

Jan 27, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #3,797 of 4,373
Thanks for all your replies. Pm-3 are a bit pricey for me at the moment otherwise would be a no brainer.

So it looks like MDR-1A or t51 as a previous poster suggested. I really can't decide.

Could you perhaps go in to a bit more detail regarding the differences in sound as I've got no way of trying these out.

Thanks so much

Jan 28, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #3,799 of 4,373
  The MDR 1A will be much more comfy 

I found the t51p to be very, very comfortable, more than many circumaural headphones but I have not tried the Sony for any significant time.  The clamp on the t51p is not strong (but just enough so they don't fall off when you move your head), the headband is well shaped so it distributes the weight very well (although the t51p is a very lightweight headphone!) and the pads are fairly soft.  Maybe I am tolerant of on-ear headphones but they are much more comfortable on my head than Sennheiser HD 25 Aluminium.

But I have just sold my t51p and I am now waiting for a pair of Ultrasone Signature DJ for use when travelling.  I expect a heavier headphone with a stronger clamp but I am also looking for more clarity, a more expansive sound as well as better isolation.  I will find out in a couple of weeks.

Col

Jan 28, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #3,800 of 4,373
Thanks.

Col, what kind of music did you listen to with the t51p?

I'm looking for headphones that perform well with EDM, RnB, Hip Hop, but also the occasional classical piece

From your experience would you say this is a good fit?

Jan 28, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #3,801 of 4,373
Thanks.

Col, what kind of music did you listen to with the t51p?

I'm looking for headphones that perform well with EDM, RnB, Hip Hop, but also the occasional classical piece

From your experience would you say this is a good fit?

My recent music has been Alt-J, The XX, Elbow, Fiona Apple, Foo Fighters, Nine Inch Nails, Beth Orton, Gomez, Ben Howard, Faithless, Bon Iver.  I am no expert in RnB and Hip Hop but do listen to a little EDM.  I suspect they would be decent because I think they are pretty good all round headphones.  Compared to the harder hitting Sennheiser HD 25 Aluminium I found the Beyer a little more "fluid", more musical and a little less in your face.  

Hope this helps. 

Jan 28, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #3,802 of 4,373
The biggest downside to the t51p, to my mind anyway, is that they are not big, expansive sounding headphones.  In my experience most closed headphones have this problem to a greater or lesser degree, although an old pair of Ultrasone ProLine 750 here are definitely "bigger" sounding.  Because of this they can be better for orchestral music.

Jan 28, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #3,803 of 4,373
You're leaving out an important model! The NAD HP50. Not as cool looking as the others, but excellent sound wise. The Momentum didn't do it for me, as I returned them after doing an A/B with the NADs. The PM3 are great, but costly.

If looks are a concern, the Momentum aren't bad for the current $250 price... But I'd still recommend NAD over them. Night and day better at just about everything.

If cost is no problem, pm3. I also just bought the Blue Lola. They aren't for everyone (look, weight) but are best out of everything mentioned in terms of sound quality.

Agree on the Lola. They are my favorite closed back of what I've tried in the last cpl of years (PSB M4U, Amperior, Kef M500, Solo 2's, K553). I almost find myself listening to them more than my open backed cans (HD650, MA900, HE400).

I did just get the HD7 DJ's yesterday and first listen not so impressed but hoping to grow to like them more as build and comfort are very good.

Feb 5, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #3,805 of 4,373
Thanks for all your replies. Pm-3 are a bit pricey for me at the moment otherwise would be a no brainer.

So it looks like MDR-1A or t51 as a previous poster suggested. I really can't decide.

Could you perhaps go in to a bit more detail regarding the differences in sound as I've got no way of trying these out.

Thanks so much

I really liked the sound of the t51p except for one big problem. I found the midbass bled all over everything. It doesn't seem to bother some people, but for me at least it became the reason I couldn't live with these.

Feb 5, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #3,806 of 4,373
A new contender in this class; the Jays u-Jays are now on sale

Feb 8, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #3,809 of 4,373

Thanks so much

The Sonys have bloated loose bass.

Feb 8, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #3,810 of 4,373
I've got the pm3, and I've tried it with the ha2. It's a superb combo. However, going through the ha1 absolutely blew my mind.

I am running the PM-3 through the HA-2 now. It's stunning to say the least... before I get beyond the point of no returns (heh) I am wondering what the Lola would sound like with the HA-2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back