Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Dec 25, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #3,766 of 4,373
  Hey everyone, I was linked to this thread in search of an over portable headphone. My budget is $400 (i'll go higher if it's worth it). With that said I've had my eyes locked on the momentums 2 and OPPO PM-3, which I can see are highly regarded. Now, my issue is are the OPPO worth the extra cash in comparison to the momentum 2s, or should I just stick to the momentums. As well, I welcome new recommendations if any of you have any.

Thanks!

I did my own comparison of ~$400 closed back "portable" over ears a few months ago and posted my thoughts in a thread.  This thread has my thoughts.  The link is to a single summary post, where I say if you don't compare them back to back, I doubt you'd be disappointed with the M2, PM-3, B&W P7, Denon MM400 or Sony 1ABT.  There are a lot of great choices in the price range.  If cost is a concern, the M2's are a great value.  I still plan to try out the Wireless M2 at some point.  They were in their "redesign" phase when I did my comparisons.

Dec 25, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #3,767 of 4,373
Tough call. I wish the PM3 weren't limited to direct sale. I'd say buy both and return the one you don't like as much, but Oppo doesn't sell on a service like Amazon for easy returns.

Although I do admit that balanced systems are nice, I don't personally think it's a must... Especially for mobile usage. External noise kind of takes those gains away, in my opinion. I'd go after something with a bit more bass slam for mobile.

At any rate, can't go wrong with anything mentioned, besides the senns. I just firmly believe the senns are overrated. I had them for like a month, trying hard to buy into the hype... Just couldn't after doing direct comparisons to competition. I know a lot of people point to Innerfiedelity's write up on them, but do remember they preferred the NADs and PM3.

I realize balanced is more useful at home, but the Pono sounds significantly better balanced, and I will also sometimes use my closed cans at home if I want to listen to music without worrying about it disturbing my wife. I am torn between getting the best single-ended closed cans I can find or holding out for the ideal ones that can also do balanced.

I'm getting a loaner of the PM-3 through the lending program here, and I'm excited to try it. Otherwise I could consider the Sony 1A or 100AP, both do balanced as well.

Dec 25, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #3,768 of 4,373
You're leaving out an important model! The NAD HP50. Not as cool looking as the others, but excellent sound wise. The Momentum didn't do it for me, as I returned them after doing an A/B with the NADs. The PM3 are great, but costly.

If looks are a concern, the Momentum aren't bad for the current $250 price... But I'd still recommend NAD over them. Night and day better at just about everything.

If cost is no problem, pm3. I also just bought the Blue Lola. They aren't for everyone (look, weight) but are best out of everything mentioned in terms of sound quality.

I looked into the Nads and I demoed them. I loved their sound, but heard bad things about their durability :/

Dec 25, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #3,769 of 4,373
I did my own comparison of ~$400 closed back "portable" over ears a few months ago and posted my thoughts in a thread.  This thread has my thoughts.  The link is to a single summary post, where I say if you don't compare them back to back, I doubt you'd be disappointed with the M2, PM-3, B&W P7, Denon MM400 or Sony 1ABT.  There are a lot of great choices in the price range.  If cost is a concern, the M2's are a great value.  I still plan to try out the Wireless M2 at some point.  They were in their "redesign" phase when I did my comparisons.
awesome man, I'll check this out! Cost isn't really a concern I'd go up to 400 with no problem if it is well worth it.

Dec 26, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #3,770 of 4,373
I looked into the Nads and I demoed them. I loved their sound, but heard bad things about their durability :/

I have traveled with my NADs all over the world, they have been banged and dropped. They still look the same and sound the same. I don't think they are the be all and all in durability but I wouldn't say they have a problem either. Especially not for the price.

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #3,771 of 4,373
Had my NAD for over a year now. No issues whatsoever.

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #3,772 of 4,373
Sony MDR-100aap, Yamaha HPH MT220, and Mr. Speakers Ether C belong on this list.

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #3,773 of 4,373
  Sony MDR-100aap, Yamaha HPH MT220, and Mr. Speakers Ether C belong on this list.

Sure...please feel free to loan me them and I'll be happy to add them. 
smile.gif

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #3,774 of 4,373
Jan 8, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #3,775 of 4,373
Jan 16, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #3,777 of 4,373

Sure...please feel free to loan me them and I'll be happy to add them. 
smile.gif

Ether C is not portable.  I would imagine the Audeze Sine will end up pretty high on this list may take #1 from PM3.

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #3,778 of 4,373
  Ether C is not portable.  I would imagine the Audeze Sine will end up pretty high on this list may take #1 from PM3.

Why not? I take my Ether C everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back