Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Aug 20, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #3,601 of 4,373
Just uploaded the most excellent Oppo PM-3s on my original post.

Just wonderful headphones and kudos to Oppo!!!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-26-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around#post_9622611

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #3,602 of 4,373

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-26-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around#post_9622611

Thanks for that.

On a side note, do you have the new B&W P5 Series 2 on your radar by any change? They seem to have improved allot over the previous model. I would love to read your take on those if at all possible.

Aug 20, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #3,604 of 4,373
  No one can answer my question? :frowning2:

If you have tiny baby ears, then by all means try the Momentums... I wouldn't go with either personally but from those I'd choose the Audio Technica's...

Aug 20, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #3,605 of 4,373
No not that ,i am well aware of that .I just want to know how good they are when it comes to instrument separation and details retrieval.

I get excited every-time some one says a particular headphone let him hear artist taking breath, guitar being plucked etc .

I want that ,i am asking whether momentum can deliver on that front.

Aug 20, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #3,606 of 4,373
No not that ,i am well aware of that .I just want to know how good they are when it comes to instrument separation and details retrieval.

I get excited every-time some one says a particular headphone let him hear artist taking breath, guitar being plucked etc .

The Momentum's are good headphones but for that price range, the Psb m4u1's are even better. Have you thought about them? You can get them for $250 now from Amazon or Crutchfield. And unlike the Wirecutter, I'd pick them over the Oppo pm-3's.

http://m.thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-400-over-ear-headphones/

Aug 20, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #3,607 of 4,373
I dont get the deal with dt1350s comfort. I have a massive head and wear specs.
The metal frame bends easily and dont pinch, especially after a few weeks.

I still rate them as the best sounding truly portable, seconded by the Vmoda XS.
The Senns all sound rolled off to me and/or bass boosted as did the M3 and T51p
The 1350 to my ears has the most accurate sound.

Aug 20, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #3,608 of 4,373

I still rate them as the best sounding truly portable, seconded by the Vmoda XS.

I don't think it was so much the comfort of the 1350's that was
causing angst here and there.

It was more a matter of placement on the ears being super-critical
in order to hear them at their best.

(I have the T51p's which I like, but I'm not crazy about them.  Still
on the hunt for small closed headphones which sound great without
breaking the bank e.g. B&W 7's).

Aug 20, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #3,609 of 4,373

Thanks for that.

On a side note, do you have the new B&W P5 Series 2 on your radar by any change? They seem to have improved allot over the previous model. I would love to read your take on those if at all possible.

Thanks! They Series 2 P5s were on my list until I saw how they measured (worse) when compared to the originals.

I found the pain that they caused on my ears especially a deal breaker for me. They would grip my ears and bend them over my glasses and put them in a three point bend that literally became unbearable for me. I'm glad you find them comfortable; but as mentioned the T51p's were better in pretty much every category for me (especially comfort). 

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #3,611 of 4,373

i think the original momentums at their current price point are an absolute steal 

*provided: 1) your ears are small enough for them to be truly over ear and 2) your comfortable with that cross between on and over ear*

if thats the case, then the original momentums would be a great and mellow choice (i quite like the ivory colour, but the pair i had was black and red >.<"

i think its more on the head shape more than anything

now i don't own the dt1350s myself so take what i'm saying with a grain of salt. But when i was auditioning them, trying to pick up a good on the go headphone.

the metal (spoke?) or the circular pivot rubbed against my head and it just wasnt comfortable (its probably because i have a sort of i guess reverse pyramid/triangle head
------------
\            /

and the earpads i found a bit thin in padding and quite small sooo i couldn't see myself using them on a practicality stand point

maybe you have "large" but OVAL head, soo

oh btw i didn't wear glasses when i was using them so theres that too. 

Aug 21, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #3,612 of 4,373

Not surprised by the pick, however I was surprised by the scoring. The M2 appears it bested the PM-3 in most categories however you gave it the nod. What put it over the top?

Also, you kinda made reference you felt the AKT5p were more open sounding, but that PM-3 could compete with them.  Certainly not calling you out for your opinion, just curious.

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #3,613 of 4,373
  Not surprised by the pick, however I was surprised by the scoring. The M2 appears it bested the PM-3 in most categories however you gave it the nod. What put it over the top?

Also, you kinda made reference you felt the AKT5p were more open sounding, but that PM-3 could compete with them.  Certainly not calling you out for your opinion, just curious.

The more overall neutral signature put them ahead (and not by much, that's why I went 1 and 1A). Both are great cans, but the Momentum's are limited in their genres due to their less neutral signature...thus my scoring. 
redface.gif

Aug 21, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #3,614 of 4,373

The more overall neutral signature put them ahead (and not by much, that's why I went 1 and 1A). Both are great cans, but the Momentum's are limited in their genres due to their less neutral signature...thus my scoring. 
redface.gif

I'd also put the M2 and PM3 as very close contenders but for me the M2 came out on top.  

I prefer some warmth and bass emphasis in my headphones.  :)

The M2 was also more comfortable with its lighter and better fit (for me the PM3 left a sore spot on the top of my head) and the buttery soft real leather earcups on the M2 beat out PM3's synthetic leather.  Soundstage was a bit narrower on the PM3 as well.

But in PM3s favor was the tighter and snappier bass, great image separation and clear mids.  

Aug 21, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #3,615 of 4,373
  I'd also put the M2 and PM3 as very close contenders but for me the M2 came out on top.  

I prefer some warmth and bass emphasis in my headphones.  :)

The M2 was also more comfortable with its lighter and better fit (for me the PM3 left a sore spot on the top of my head) and the buttery soft real leather earcups on the M2 beat out PM3's synthetic leather.  Soundstage was a bit narrower on the PM3 as well.

But in PM3s favor was the tighter and snappier bass, great image separation and clear mids.  

I agree...these two headphones are really close for me too. Good to see some great options available!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back