Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Aug 13, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #3,586 of 4,373
You're referencing the 1R - not the 1A - 

anyway I like the T51p over the 1R
The 1R just has too much bass for me

The T51p, despite its diminutive size,
puts out a substantially more appealing sound.

(and I've not heard the 1A)

Yeah, I'm talking about the 1Rs.

I really like the T51ps sound but the dual sided cable is a bummer although there isn't much like it.

Aug 13, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #3,587 of 4,373

QC25 would be the safest choice, you get the sound sig you are accustomed too, good but not great audio fidelity, the best ANC in the business, and guaranteed comfort.

Sony MDR-1A, even more fidelity than the QC25 but that's because it's passive. Better indoor headphones than the QC25, guaranteed comfort. The MDR-1ABT is a more direct competitor but it's pricey.

BeoPlay H6, the most balanced headphone sig of the 3. Also passive, I thought it sounded exceptionally clear next to the B&W P7, no bass impact, but grain free treble, very similar to the Momentum 2.0. I didn't think much of the coarse headband material, less padding than it looks. I think it makes a great portable, more robust than the MDR-1A, but my personal taste is against the balance sound sig, and the shop price is ridiculous.

Also look at the V-Moda M100, a very robust portable headphone with excellent passive isolation and a sound sig you'll be more familiar with.

Thanks a lot for your thoughts!

I went ahead and ordered the BeoPlay, they'll be with me on Monday. While I think your definitely right with your statement above re the QC25 I kind of wanted to try something new, especially considering that I don't travel via plane that often, the ANC isn't having such a huge effect on the subway. Or at least that was the case with the QC15. 

I'll make sure to drop by and provide some feedback, as others might be in the same position at some point in the future.

Aug 13, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #3,588 of 4,373
Thanks a lot you guys,its a great thread .I am planing to order sennheiser momentum over ear(firs gen),i would like to know whether momentum's instrument separation,clarity and detail retrieval(like hearing artist taking a breath) is as good as some other popular option out there ,like ath m50x.

I cant afford the others, more expensive options,any input from you guys would be a great help.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 13, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #3,589 of 4,373
I Have Momentum 1 and Momentum 2. They sound almost the same, very little difference, the 2.0 has bigger squishier earcups, and it folds. More comfy.

But the original has a better cable and looks nicer and more compact

Aug 14, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #3,590 of 4,373
I Have Momentum 1 and Momentum 2. They sound almost the same, very little difference, the 2.0 has bigger squishier earcups, and it folds. More comfy.

But the original has a better cable and looks nicer and more compact

i actually quite like that on the original momentums, earcups size aside, i thought it was pretty close to complete portable headphone. its light weight, secure, without clamping on the head hard. Its also nicely designed and isolate sound very well. (this is disregarding the sound), and oh yea those earpads were quite soft and yet decently breathable. 

the hinges on the new momentum are certainly a nice addition, seems robust enough. but visually speaking it seems to add a bit extra weight to the featherweight (intended) appearance of the momentums

i would wish the original momentums to have just slightly larger earcups (but it sounds like based on what your saying, Sennheiser was able to nail that intended sound signature (very similarly) but just made the earcups roomier (which to some may seem like either

a) a step backwards as in the momentum 2.0 is what the original momentums should've been

or b)a slight lateral step  for fans of the original momentum sound signature, but was unable to get along with the smaller earcups

Aug 18, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #3,591 of 4,373
Well, the Beoplay H6 came and went... 

I guess it's just me but I found that pair really uncomfortable. Even though my ears or not big the ear cups weren't totally around my ears and after listening to some music for an hour, the strain was unbearable. It's really a shame because the sound is really good. Totally different than the QC15 of course, and after several years of being accustomed to Bose's signature it was an interesting change. 

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #3,592 of 4,373
Sorry to hear that Axdby, I think comfort is like a metaphorical brick wall - first it must be broken, before you can start enjoying and obsessing over your new headphones. Ironically, the majority of discussion is about sound; what attracts us to buying a headphone in the first place.

I particularly suggest trying the MDR-1A next, since it's most likely to give you least amount of grief. Followed by the Momentum 2.0, and M100 with XL ear pads, or (in your case) calling it quits with the QC25

I don't think possible to make a comfort ranking, but I can make some general assumptions about what I know effects comfort;

Plushness of padding in the ear pads
Plushness of padding on the headband
Surface area of headband against the skull
Depth of ear pads
Width of ear pads
Height of ear pads
Ear pad shape; oval / circle
If material is breathable / ventilated
The overall weight of the headphones
Type / coarseness of material used
Fit adaptability; headband tilt, length
Ear pad tilt / rotate
Clamping force

Some of these could be "less is better" or "more is better", but others would be completely fit dependent.
Finding the headphones which "ticks the most boxes", would be the best choice here.

Then all you need to do is balance that choice with everything else that makes the headphone fit for purpose, while trying to avoid a dead lock; analysis paralysis.
tongue.gif

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #3,593 of 4,373
Just an update on the PM-3s...I should have them up shortly. I've been putting them through their paces and they are one very impressive pair of headphones! Likely some of the most neutral closed headphones I've heard this side of the AKT5p.

Aug 19, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #3,594 of 4,373
Just an update on the PM-3s...I should have them up shortly. I've been putting them through their paces and they are one very impressive pair of headphones! Likely some of the most neutral closed headphones I've heard this side of the AKT5p.

Interesting to hear you say that. They were not neutral enough for me. I found them to have too much treble roll off which made them sound too bass-heavy. And that took away too much clarity and detail. Other than that, though, they are good headphones.

Aug 19, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #3,595 of 4,373
Interesting to hear you say that. They were not neutral enough for me. I found them to have too much treble roll off which made them sound too bass-heavy. And that took away too much clarity and detail. Other than that, though, they are good headphones.

Too bass heavy? Too much treble roll off? 
eek.gif
 Lack of clarity and detail? 
eek.gif
 Lol, we're hearing things quite differently...different ears and gears as they say. 
smile.gif

The FR response shows their bass quite linear with excellent square wave plots:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/OppoPM3SampleC.pdf

Headphones you've mentioned as excellent (which I agree with you), the PSB M1U, are quite similar:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/PSBM4U1.pdf

Looks like we hear it differently? But that's cool, most of this hobby is subjective anyway...I'm just calling it like I hear it. I don't find the treble is rolled off and the bass is quite excellent (and actually sounds tighter than the PSBs or Momentum 2s), actually I might want a wee bit more. 
redface.gif

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #3,596 of 4,373
Too bass heavy? Too much treble roll off? :eek:  Lack of clarity and detail? :eek:  Lol, we're hearing things quite differently...different ears and gears as they say. :smile:

Headphones you've mentioned as excellent (which I agree with you), the PSB M1U, are quite similar:

Looks like we hear it differently? But that's cool, most of this hobby is subjective anyway...I'm just calling it like I hear it. I don't find the treble is rolled off and the bass is quite excellent (and actually sounds tighter than the PSBs or Momentum 2s), actually I might want a wee bit more. :xf_eek:  

Yes all this is subjective. I do find the pm-3's bass very tight and accurate but that only works if you have a top end to match. I didn't say the bass was bad, it's just that it's emphasized too much and that makes the sound signature too unbalanced for me to call them neutral. I have some very good acoustic guitar tracks that are so clear on my Psb's I can hear fingers sliding across the strings but the same song sounds remarkably unremarkable with the pm-3's because the treble sounds so rolled off and recessed. The overall presentation just sounds too congested and slightly muddy to me. As you can see, I call myself Planarman, so clearly I like planar magnetic drivers, but without frequency balance all that technology gets lost in the mix. To my ears, the Psb's kick the pm-3's all over the place and for $150 less. That's why I sent them back and have 0 regrets about it. If they come out with a newer version that has more treble and balance, I'll be all over them like a blanket.

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #3,597 of 4,373
Yes all this is subjective. I do find the pm-3's bass very tight and accurate but that only works if you have a top end to match. I didn't say the bass was bad, it's just that it's emphasized too much and that makes the sound signature too unbalanced for me to call them neutral. I have some very good acoustic guitar tracks that are so clear on my Psb's I can hear fingers sliding across the strings but the same song sounds remarkably unremarkable with the pm-3's because the treble sounds so rolled off and recessed. The overall presentation just sounds too congested and slightly muddy to me. As you can see, I call myself Planarman, so clearly I like planar magnetic drivers, but without frequency balance all that technology gets lost in the mix. To my ears, the Psb's kick the pm-3's all over the place and for $150 less. That's why I sent them back and have 0 regrets about it. If they come out with a newer version that has more treble and balance, I'll be all over them like a blanket.

Also depends on your amp/source. I love the PSB M4U 1 & 2, but they are too big and bulky with sub-par NC circuitry on the latter. I will definitely put the PM-3s ahead of them though based on my experiences so far.

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #3,598 of 4,373
  Too bass heavy? Too much treble roll off? 
eek.gif
 Lack of clarity and detail? 
eek.gif
 Lol, we're hearing things quite differently...different ears and gears as they say. 
smile.gif

Looks like we hear it differently? But that's cool, most of this hobby is subjective anyway...I'm just calling it like I hear it. I don't find the treble is rolled off and the bass is quite excellent (and actually sounds tighter than the PSBs or Momentum 2s), actually I might want a wee bit more. 
redface.gif

The beauty of how we hear differently. The bass is light and they are really boring to me. With certain files I heard sibilance as well. They are really enjoyable with some power behind them and listening inside in a good environment. For portable gear as advertised, I don't want to carry a stack, and I would like to be enjoying activities while listening to my music(not an isolation issue). When I returned my 2nd pair to Oppo, they wanted a reason for the return or they won't process your return. I told them they required extra power to really appreciate their sound, which shouldn't be the case when you are touting portability, by their response I could tell they thought I was an idiot. They said something to the effect that you do not need power to enjoy, that these are portable headphones designed to be used from a cellphone and that I must enjoy listening to music at a really high volume. If you want a neutral sounding headphone, that does many things right, the PM-3 is a good choice. They don't really do anything wrong, and they do quite a few things right, but the sound is meh, blah just not the toe tapping experience. This may give you the impression I enjoy a uber colored sound, but that is not the case. The PM-3 have a very loyal fanbase that swear by what they hear, but again I judge these based on the thread criteria and against the other models in the list and I think they belong in the top 5, but they don't evoke the ahh I have found my end game by any stroke of the of the imagination.

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #3,599 of 4,373
Also depends on your amp/source. I love the PSB M4U 1 & 2, but they are too big and bulky with sub-par NC circuitry on the latter. I will definitely put the PM-3s ahead of them though based on my experiences so far.

Well one thing we can agree on is that the Psb's are ugly, big, and bulky. The build of the Pm-3's combined with their weight, blows the Psb''s out of the water. But as an audiophile, all I care about is the sound. And for that, I'll happily wear them on a bus and look like a dork while drifting away to Pink Floyd.

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #3,600 of 4,373
  The beauty of how we hear differently. The bass is light and they are really boring to me. With certain files I heard sibilance as well. They are really enjoyable with some power behind them and listening inside in a good environment. For portable gear as advertised, I don't want to carry a stack, and I would like to be enjoying activities while listening to my music(not an isolation issue). When I returned my 2nd pair to Oppo, they wanted a reason for the return or they won't process your return. I told them they required extra power to really appreciate their sound, which shouldn't be the case when you are touting portability, by their response I could tell they thought I was an idiot. They said something to the effect that you do not need power to enjoy, that these are portable headphones designed to be used from a cellphone and that I must enjoy listening to music at a really high volume. If you want a neutral sounding headphone, that does many things right, the PM-3 is a good choice. They don't really do anything wrong, and they do quite a few things right, but the sound is meh, blah just not the toe tapping experience. This may give you the impression I enjoy a uber colored sound, but that is not the case. The PM-3 have a very loyal fanbase that swear by what they hear, but again I judge these based on the thread criteria and against the other models in the list and I think they belong in the top 5, but they don't evoke the ahh I have found my end game by any stroke of the of the imagination.

Lol, I want a bit more bass too...and FWIW, I think the PSBs have a tad more bass. 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back