Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Jun 9, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #3,421 of 4,373
Hi guys, just posting to say that my choice of closed, portable cans was made for me last night when I noticed the coupon livesoundwave.com is offering for 25% off any order --- not the headfi coupon for $50 off, but a different coupon, DAD2015, which I guess must be for Father's Day here in the US.  They carry the M2s, and 25% off made the total $267 and change, plus $5 shipping.  No tax for me in California.  They are a licensed Sennheiser dealer, so the warranty applies.

The HP50 and the PM-3 weren't available for me to try on, and I knew I liked the M2s, so a discount this large made up my mind.  Just thought I'd notify my fellow shoppers of the coupon in case it helps you too.

Jun 9, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #3,423 of 4,373
I do remember auditioning this too! I remember it sound pretty good. It fits my taste however it was too uncomfortable for me. I really want to like it. It's foldable, looks stealthy and sound great!

Too bad, they were uncomfortable for me at first  but the pads softened and/or I got use to them and now I can wear them for hours on end without problem. Sound wise, they've ended my search (for now).

Jun 10, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #3,425 of 4,373
  Just fyi you can subscribe to a thread by pressing the button at the top of a thread (underneath the title but above the 'post a reply', 'start new thread' and page number buttons). No need to post to a thread once to sub to it. :)

i know, i was on my phone, and couldn't find a button, hence the post

Jun 12, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #3,428 of 4,373
im buying a headphone without having listened them, so i need a lot of help, my options are the mdr 1a,ath msr7, focal spirit one s and that's it, i mostly listen power,industrial and industrail metal on the go with some electro trance stuff, i currently own my ma900 and shure srh 440 with the first one being my in home headphone, i want something with at least the same level of detail that the ma900 have with more bass, wich one could fill my requeriments (i do want clear treble, nice mid and no boom boom bloated bass) forgot to say that my limit is 250usd and im from Chile.

Jun 13, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #3,430 of 4,373
  im buying a headphone without having listened them, so i need a lot of help, my options are the mdr 1a,ath msr7, focal spirit one s and that's it, i mostly listen power,industrial and industrail metal on the go with some electro trance stuff, i currently own my ma900 and shure srh 440 with the first one being my in home headphone, i want something with at least the same level of detail that the ma900 have with more bass, wich one could fill my requeriments (i do want clear treble, nice mid and no boom boom bloated bass) forgot to say that my limit is 250usd and im from Chile.

MDR1A is warmish and dark with loose bass. MSR7 has tight bass and clear highs.  You might like it. it's a bright headphone though, so it wont play nice with treble happy recording. I've only heard the Focal Spirit One ( before S). It's nice, neutral, warm, slightly dark. Really nice for most music. It's like MDR1A but more neutral and faster bass.  You might like it. The earpads was too uncomfortable for me but it might work for you. Try all of them if you can!

Jun 13, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #3,431 of 4,373
but the msr7 has a harsh level of trebel?, i'm mostly between the mdr 1a, and the msr7, but a lot of people say that the mdr 1a don't have bloated bass( and a lot of other say its bloated and loose in everything), and in the other hand a lot of people say the msr7 is quite hot in the treble area(to be honest i explained myself bad, i want something like the mdr ma900 in the level of treble i don't care if its a litle less or just a tiny bit more. and some user say that the msr7 sound tiny yet the clear presentation attrack me)  and now i can eliminate from my list the focal spirit (i can't stand unconfortable headphones) and ofcourse i want something warmer, clear with bass (not loose),
so the msr7 is a good option over the mdr 1a?.

Jun 13, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #3,432 of 4,373
  so the msr7 is a good option over the mdr 1a?.

Firstly I would watch the video below.  There are other things, apart from sound, which are important.

They are completely different sounding, so choose wisely according to your taste.

In brief; I know the MDR-1A is better for me, without even hearing the MSR7, I know I won't like its sound, and at my high volumes (apparently) again, absolutely not.

Also, shallow looking ear pads on the MDR-1A are deceptive because the driver is tilted, and it actually recedes into the housing quite a bit, to stop your ears touching inside.

P.S. It's easier to EQ a quantity of something out, but you can't change headphone's "sound character" - as such...
so what I'm saying is; it may be better to get the bassy Sonys you can tune down, rather than trying to make neutral driver do bass that it isn't designed for.

Jun 13, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #3,433 of 4,373

Firstly I would watch the video below.  There are other things, apart from sound, which are important.

They are completely different sounding, so choose wisely according to your taste.

In brief; I know the MDR-1A is better for me, without even hearing the MSR7, I know I won't like its sound, and at my high volumes (apparently) again, absolutely not.

Also, shallow looking ear pads on the MDR-1A are deceptive because the driver is tilted, and it actually recedes into the housing quite a bit, to stop your ears touching inside.

P.S. It's easier to EQ a quantity of something out, but you can't change headphone's "sound character" - as such...
so what I'm saying is; it may be better to get the bassy Sonys you can tune down, rather than trying to make neutral driver do bass that it isn't designed for.

yes, i already saw that video, plus lachlan likes bright stuff (ath 50mx and ath 70mx are beyond my treble tolerance), but thx for the advice bcs sony headphones are the most comfortables headphones that i ever used,

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #3,434 of 4,373
yes, i already saw that video, plus lachlan likes bright stuff (ath 50mx and ath 70mx are beyond my treble tolerance), but thx for the advice bcs sony headphones are the most comfortables headphones that i ever used,

Msr7 is treble happy and relatively smooth in a sense it doesn't have huge peaks in the treble. It's treble is smooth and comes in larger than usual amount. If u mainly listen to good recordings, it is heavenly. It will be ear grating on bad recording. Mdr1a has a very forgiving sound. Warm and dark. It is not no where as good as msr7 on good recordings but will be more enjoyable on bad ones. Their sound sig is worlds aparts.They are both comfortable.

M50x and m70x is worlds a apart is sig too. M50x is warmish neutral. M70 is bright.msr7 is less bright than m70. mdr1a is quite similiar to m50.

Jun 13, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #3,435 of 4,373
Msr7 is treble happy and relatively smooth in a sense it doesn't have huge peaks in the treble. It's treble is smooth and comes in larger than usual amount. If u mainly listen to good recordings, it is heavenly. It will be ear grating on bad recording. Mdr1a has a very forgiving sound. Warm and dark. It is not no where as good as msr7 on good recordings but will be more enjoyable on bad ones. Their sound sig is worlds aparts.They are both comfortable.

M50x and m70x is worlds a apart is sig too. M50x is warmish neutral. M70 is bright.msr7 is less bright than m70. mdr1a is quite similiar to m50.

but what about real life reproduction , i mostly listen to hi res file, even on the go, but the problem that i see with the msr7 if is that much treble happy it may be accurate but not realistic nor natural, for example the ma900 is similar to the senn hd600 in the real life reproductions of violins, guitars and a lot of string based instrument yet they are in the darker side of treble and the problem that i see with the mdr 1a is the added bass and problably if is similar to the 1r the lack of dinamics and resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back