Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Jun 1, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #3,406 of 4,373
As said above, yes I'm speaking in comparative to the MDR-1A regarding the M2 flatness.

If I was given a headphone even flatter than the M2, then I would probably dislike that even more, because my personal taste is against that, but not so far tilted in the other direction that I become a basshead. The MDR-1A fits here.

The M2 is not a flat headphone, I would say instead it's the best of the neutral signature, even without any experience of a truly "flat" signature. The M2 still has an appealing warmth and a little punch so that it doesn't leave you out in the cold when it presents to your ears.  It entirely depends what your ears are listening for, when it comes to deciding which is better.

I do think the M2 could have been a little more transparent though, given it doesn't suffer any sort of bass bloom in the vocals, unlike the MDR-1A which can bleed just a bit.

I feel the compromise of adding bass to sacrifice the mids on the MDR-1A is only slight though, whereas the M2 compromised bass, for no significant gain in other areas.

Jun 3, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #3,408 of 4,373
Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Jun 6, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #3,409 of 4,373
I was going to sit down this weekend and write some final notes about the PM-3. However, my unit is defective. It happens and Oppo customer service is very responsive so it is not an issue. I finally had time to some time for dedicated and writing this weekend. Not as detailed as I wanted, but see below.

I will say this after my first time with the Oppo I was left saying, that if I had only one portable hp I would be very happy with the PM-3. In a quiet listening environment they sound awesome, but you have to either bump the volume or amp them a little to really wake them up so they are not so boring. While they isolate well, outside in regular noise, they are really boring, the bass is light and they just don't sparkle. I walk an average of 3-5 miles a day. I could be very happy with these, but I wouldn't give up my Momentum 2 if I already them. I feel the Momentum 2 checks a lot of portable boxes. While the cups collapse on the M2 it would be nice if they lay flat to make them even more portable.

2nd time around with the PM-3, putting the defective unit aside, I listened solely to the PM-3 since I have had them a couple of weeks now. I already know what I get from my other portable the the Velvet and the M2. Once my brain started to adjust to the sound I really enjoyed it more. The PM-3 has great detail in the mids, they are not creamy sounding like the Senn, they are detailed. The bass is punchy with volume or power, but there is still something about the sound that is a little dull. I have had planar magnet hp's in the past, so I know the characteristics, and these sound really good for a planar magnet, closed variant. The treble is good, but not great. This hp is neutral, and very balanced sounding. Many obviously like the PM-3, and for good reason, they don't really do anything wrong.
They are comfortable, a little shallow so some folks ears my touch the driver.

I am torn with the PM-3, I really wish they could be my favorite portables, not sure why I am pulling so hard to like these, but I am. Would I buy them? Yes.  Would I enjoy them? Yes.

So this morning, the 2nd time the right driver has stopped working in two weeks, I put on my M2 and they felt right at home. I will request a replacement PM-3, if they will give me the 30 day return policy, if not they will be returned.

If you want opinions from really happy PM-3 owners, go to the thread here or read the many positive reviews.

It is a shame that Senn has had connectivity issues with the BT variant of the M2. It has really overshadowed the fact that the wired version has really cleaned up their act. I have written at length about the sonic differences in the wired and wireless version.

Jun 6, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #3,410 of 4,373
I've been taking my ibasso DX50 to stores to try on headphones before I pick my portable.  I've been about in-ears for the past several years, so it's a new thing for me to plan around fit as well as sound.  I've tried the Beyerdynamic Custom Pro One, the Audio-Technica MSR7, the PSB M4U, the Momentum 2, and now the B&W P7. 

The P7 sounded best to me for sure, totally unveiled and effortlessly clear.  But within a minute of wearing it I noticed the first bad rub spots on my ears, so I didn't listen long.  It's shaped wrong for me --- a real shame.  

The Custom Pro One, with its big round Beyer cups, fit great and made a really solid seal with great isolation.  It was fun to switch between degrees of open-backedness, and the bass was full and strong, but the vocals were recessed on all settings.  I liked these headphones, but the vocals and the massive size made me decide no.

The MSR7 was really comfortable and made a good seal that didn't suck at my ears at all --- I guess it's the airflow system the ad copy talks about.  Great portability and build.  Incredible detail...but weak bass.  I really wanted to like these but felt the sound was just too thin.

The M4U was more comfortable than I thought it would be, with its super-fat pads seeming too thick to leave any room for my head, but it was fine --- maybe heating up would have been a problem over a long session.  The sound was also round and fat.  Not bad at all.

So, the M2.  It fit me very well, and isolated well in a noisy Best Buy.  The treble was pleasantly rolled off, removing the harshness from some tracks I'd listened to recently on my Brainwavz S1 IEMs, which have a V-shaped sound signature.  I didn't find any flaws in the sound, but trying the P7 right afterward lifted the proverbial Sennheiser veil.  And left me wanting to see if I can get better than the M2.

Which leaves me thinking about the Oppo PM-3, which I can't try in a store.  And maybe that Denon wood headphone.

Is there anything else I should consider, do you think?

Jun 7, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #3,411 of 4,373
I was going to sit down this weekend and write some final notes about the PM-3. However, my unit is defective. It happens and Oppo customer service is very responsive so it is not an issue. I finally had time to some time for dedicated and writing this weekend. Not as detailed as I wanted, but see below.

I will say this after my first time with the Oppo I was left saying, that if I had only one portable hp I would be very happy with the PM-3. In a quiet listening environment they sound awesome, but you have to either bump the volume or amp them a little to really wake them up so they are not so boring. While they isolate well, outside in regular noise, they are really boring, the bass is light and they just don't sparkle. I walk an average of 3-5 miles a day. I could be very happy with these, but I wouldn't give up my Momentum 2 if I already them. I feel the Momentum 2 checks a lot of portable boxes. While the cups collapse on the M2 it would be nice if they lay flat to make them even more portable.

2nd time around with the PM-3, putting the defective unit aside, I listened solely to the PM-3 since I have had them a couple of weeks now. I already know what I get from my other portable the the Velvet and the M2. Once my brain started to adjust to the sound I really enjoyed it more. The PM-3 has great detail in the mids, they are not creamy sounding like the Senn, they are detailed. The bass is punchy with volume or power, but there is still something about the sound that is a little dull. I have had planar magnet hp's in the past, so I know the characteristics, and these sound really good for a planar magnet, closed variant. The treble is good, but not great. This hp is neutral, and very balanced sounding. Many obviously like the PM-3, and for good reason, they don't really do anything wrong.
They are comfortable, a little shallow so some folks ears my touch the driver.

I am torn with the PM-3, I really wish they could be my favorite portables, not sure why I am pulling so hard to like these, but I am. Would I buy them? Yes.  Would I enjoy them? Yes.

So this morning, the 2nd time the right driver has stopped working in two weeks, I put on my M2 and they felt right at home. I will request a replacement PM-3, if they will give me the 30 day return policy, if not they will be returned.

If you want opinions from really happy PM-3 owners, go to the thread here or read the many positive reviews.

It is a shame that Senn has had connectivity issues with the BT variant of the M2. It has really overshadowed the fact that the wired version has really cleaned up their act. I have written at length about the sonic differences in the wired and wireless version.

Honestly I think you should just stick with the M2s instead of spending more time with the pm-3 in an attempt to make them your favourite portables. It seems like you really love your M2 (enough that you've convinced me to try them out whenever I get a chance) so if I was you I'd just cut down to 1 portable headphone and be happy!

I do agree about amping being required to bring out the excitement in the pm-3s though. My tiny apex glacier is a great match and small enough that it's perfect to strap to my phone on the go. Might be why I never found the bass particularly lacking or anything while on the go. They do sound a bit dull straight from my phone but that does work for some music styles. Just not the styles I prefer while wandering around...

Jun 7, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #3,412 of 4,373
I've been taking my ibasso DX50 to stores to try on headphones before I pick my portable.  I've been about in-ears for the past several years, so it's a new thing for me to plan around fit as well as sound.  I've tried the Beyerdynamic Custom Pro One, the Audio-Technica MSR7, the PSB M4U, the Momentum 2, and now the B&W P7. 

The P7 sounded best to me for sure, totally unveiled and effortlessly clear.  But within a minute of wearing it I noticed the first bad rub spots on my ears, so I didn't listen long.  It's shaped wrong for me --- a real shame.  

The Custom Pro One, with its big round Beyer cups, fit great and made a really solid seal with great isolation.  It was fun to switch between degrees of open-backedness, and the bass was full and strong, but the vocals were recessed on all settings.  I liked these headphones, but the vocals and the massive size made me decide no.

The MSR7 was really comfortable and made a good seal that didn't suck at my ears at all --- I guess it's the airflow system the ad copy talks about.  Great portability and build.  Incredible detail...but weak bass.  I really wanted to like these but felt the sound was just too thin.

The M4U was more comfortable than I thought it would be, with its super-fat pads seeming too thick to leave any room for my head, but it was fine --- maybe heating up would have been a problem over a long session.  The sound was also round and fat.  Not bad at all.

So, the M2.  It fit me very well, and isolated well in a noisy Best Buy.  The treble was pleasantly rolled off, removing the harshness from some tracks I'd listened to recently on my Brainwavz S1 IEMs, which have a V-shaped sound signature.  I didn't find any flaws in the sound, but trying the P7 right afterward lifted the proverbial Sennheiser veil.  And left me wanting to see if I can get better than the M2.

Which leaves me thinking about the Oppo PM-3, which I can't try in a store.  And maybe that Denon wood headphone.

Is there anything else I should consider, do you think?
If you like the P7 sound but not the ergos, the NAD HP50 is your set of cans. My caveat however is that they look ridiculous on your head.. Call me vain, but I'd never be seen in public with them on.

That said, my preference for a closed portable is either the Beyer T51i (on-ear) or the Sony MDR-1A. Both actually have a similar sound to my ears - very smooth and natural with a slightly V-shaped signature and satisfying bass.

The PM-3 by comparison will sound a bit flat as it is much more tonally neutral. It's definitely a more accurate sound, but I find it a bit too boring for portable use. It may suit however if you want an neutral can for quiet home or office use.

Jun 7, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #3,413 of 4,373
If you like the P7 sound but not the ergos, the NAD HP50 is your set of cans. My caveat however is that they look ridiculous on your head.. Call me vain, but I'd never be seen in public with them on.

That said, my preference for a closed portable is either the Beyer T51i (on-ear) or the Sony MDR-1A. Both actually have a similar sound to my ears - very smooth and natural with a slightly V-shaped signature and satisfying bass.

The PM-3 by comparison will sound a bit flat as it is much more tonally neutral. It's definitely a more accurate sound, but I find it a bit too boring for portable use. It may suit however if you want an neutral can for quiet home or office use.

Thanks a lot!  I will try to find a place to check out the HP50s.

Jun 8, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #3,414 of 4,373
guys im struggling to find a decent pair of headphones(250 bucks is my limit), i mostly listen orchestral, rock and metal plus some tiesto stuff (in the orchestral range i mostly listen tchaikovsky, rachamninov, korsakov, bach, mozart, edvard griev,vivaldi regarding metal the most i listen is rhapsody of fire, rammstein,SOAD, motley crue), my first 2 options were the msr7 and the mdr 1a, but according to varius post of you i'm doubting a lot, bcs according to tyll the ath msr7 lack between 2-2,5 db in the bass aspect(should sound a little tiny) and are treble oriented while the mdr 1a is bass heavy and sound muffled, im looking for something with bass but not overwhelming bass witout losing detail with a little sparkle (sound clear and defined without killing my ears).
Its need to be portable with a microphone, i don't mind not having the perfect seal, but i don't want to leak sound in a librery.

Jun 8, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #3,416 of 4,373
I have been in my own quest for finding the 'perfect' over ears portable headphones and i want to share my impressions. I have personally owned  HP50, T51p, PM3 and now M2. I have also auditioned the following headphones multiple times, Vmoda XS, M500, H6, MDR1A, MOE, MH30, MSR7, Urbanite, Soundtrue AE & OE, P3, P5 and more but not worth mentioning. My musical taste are Top 40 music, pop and a bit of jazz. I like slightly warm, dark and smooth sound to tame the harshness of modern recording. 

Due to my preferences in music, all headphones that is not flat, or dark does not appeal to me as they accentuate the flaws of most modern recordings. MSR7 is absolutely a steal for it's technical capability at its price but it's too bright. Same case with MOE. P3 does not sound good enough. P5 does not fold and cost too much for it's sound. XS has too little clamping force which requires constant adjustment for me. Sounds good though. M500 has upper mid/lower treble emphasis which accentuate flaws in many recordings. I really want to love it, it's perfect in every other area. H6 has the opposite issue, it has a massive dip in that area so vocals sounds unnatural. MDR1A sounds very average with flabby bass. Urbanite and MH30 sounds really good. I have no issue in the sound department for both. What i did't like about urbanite is its styling. They certainly did't get the Vmoda "mind the gap" message. MH30 has a weak and loose folding hinge. I absolutely love the sound of it though. Wonderful signature and technical prowness. Soundtrue AE&OE is surprisingly very good. I have no complains at all. Definitely the most comfortable headphones in the planet. Sound wise they are as good as their price suggest. Definitely better than P3. 

Now to headphones that i actually owned. HP50 is great as everyone knows. I have long term comfort(more than 2hr) issue with it. Also, i'm not convince about it's sound signature. It's good but not perfect as designer would like us to believe. Maybe it's perfect and it's the modern recording that is not. T51p has better signature to me. I have no issue with it's sounds. Warm, punchy and slightly dark. It's has the largest on ear soundstage that i know.Too bad i have long term comfort issue with it and it does't fold. PM3 is magnificent. The bass is absolutely glorious! Punchy, detailed, and fast. Midrange and treble is too neutral for my taste. It is very good resolving ability too. I'm not sure if it is more resolving than MSR7, but i know no other headphones mentioned comes close to it. It's bass performance is simply few leagues above anything else in it's class and above. I have He400i and i much prefer PM3 bass. I did't kept the PM3 because it is not 'portable' enough. it does't fold. And now i'm currently using M2. M2 has almost the perfect signature for me. Dark, flat and smooth through the midrange and enough bass. To me, it does both male and female vocals absolutely perfect. Would i recommend it to everyone? i'm not sure. While i love everything about it and find on big flaw about it, i dun think it's technical ability is a reflection of its price. Right where i am, its the same price as PM3. It definitely does not belong to the same ballpark as PM3 technically. I find it to be similar with HP50, MDR1A range. Headphones that is more resolving that it are, MSR7, MH30, H6 ,maybe urbanite and M500 too. I don't think it is an 'audiophile' grade headphone. PM3, MSR7, MH30 belong to that camp.

So here is my finding and recommendation for those in the same quest as i am. If you can find M2 cheap, get it! If not, i actually recommend Bose AE or OE. The rest has major annoyance in certain areas which might be worth checking out if you have different musical taste.

Jun 9, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #3,417 of 4,373
  I have been in my own quest for finding the 'perfect' over ears portable headphones and i want to share my impressions. I have personally owned  HP50, T51p, PM3 and now M2. I have also auditioned the following headphones multiple times, Vmoda XS, M500, H6, MDR1A, MOE, MH30, MSR7, Urbanite, Soundtrue AE & OE, P3, P5 and more but not worth mentioning. My musical taste are Top 40 music, pop and a bit of jazz. I like slightly warm, dark and smooth sound to tame the harshness of modern recording. 

Due to my preferences in music, all headphones that is not flat, or dark does not appeal to me as they accentuate the flaws of most modern recordings. MSR7 is absolutely a steal for it's technical capability at its price but it's too bright. Same case with MOE. P3 does not sound good enough. P5 does not fold and cost too much for it's sound. XS has too little clamping force which requires constant adjustment for me. Sounds good though. M500 has upper mid/lower treble emphasis which accentuate flaws in many recordings. I really want to love it, it's perfect in every other area. H6 has the opposite issue, it has a massive dip in that area so vocals sounds unnatural. MDR1A sounds very average with flabby bass. Urbanite and MH30 sounds really good. I have no issue in the sound department for both. What i did't like about urbanite is its styling. They certainly did't get the Vmoda "mind the gap" message. MH30 has a weak and loose folding hinge. I absolutely love the sound of it though. Wonderful signature and technical prowness. Soundtrue AE&OE is surprisingly very good. I have no complains at all. Definitely the most comfortable headphones in the planet. Sound wise they are as good as their price suggest. Definitely better than P3. 

Now to headphones that i actually owned. HP50 is great as everyone knows. I have long term comfort(more than 2hr) issue with it. Also, i'm not convince about it's sound signature. It's good but not perfect as designer would like us to believe. Maybe it's perfect and it's the modern recording that is not. T51p has better signature to me. I have no issue with it's sounds. Warm, punchy and slightly dark. It's has the largest on ear soundstage that i know.Too bad i have long term comfort issue with it and it does't fold. PM3 is magnificent. The bass is absolutely glorious! Punchy, detailed, and fast. Midrange and treble is too neutral for my taste. It is very good resolving ability too. I'm not sure if it is more resolving than MSR7, but i know no other headphones mentioned comes close to it. It's bass performance is simply few leagues above anything else in it's class and above. I have He400i and i much prefer PM3 bass. I did't kept the PM3 because it is not 'portable' enough. it does't fold. And now i'm currently using M2. M2 has almost the perfect signature for me. Dark, flat and smooth through the midrange and enough bass. To me, it does both male and female vocals absolutely perfect. Would i recommend it to everyone? i'm not sure. While i love everything about it and find on big flaw about it, i dun think it's technical ability is a reflection of its price. Right where i am, its the same price as PM3. It definitely does not belong to the same ballpark as PM3 technically. I find it to be similar with HP50, MDR1A range. Headphones that is more resolving that it are, MSR7, MH30, H6 ,maybe urbanite and M500 too. I don't think it is an 'audiophile' grade headphone. PM3, MSR7, MH30 belong to that camp.

So here is my finding and recommendation for those in the same quest as i am. If you can find M2 cheap, get it! If not, i actually recommend Bose AE or OE. The rest has major annoyance in certain areas which might be worth checking out if you have different musical taste.

Given your preference I highly recommend the focal spirit professional.

Jun 9, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #3,418 of 4,373
Sub

Users who are viewing this thread

Back