Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
May 31, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #3,391 of 4,373
I had a pair of modded Mdr 1r-mk2 which I compared extensive with the 1a and I actually preferred the 1r... Only problem is they had issues with the cable connector which puts me off buying a new pair. The 1a would be perfect if it had just a tiny bit less bass bloat, it's just too overwhelming for most of my music imo.

May 31, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #3,392 of 4,373
I posted my thoughts again on the PM-3 thread and fully expect the pitchforks and torches again but below is my post:

I have been very critical in my listening to the PM-3. I am on my 2nd time owning them because I felt maybe the 2 weeks I had them before wasn't fair. I still feel the same after the four days I have had them on this 2nd tour. They are an excellent sounding hp, but for outdoors environments I still feel there are better options for those type of environments. They require more power than the M2 and, if possible, I prefer to exercise or to go mobile without a stack in my pocket. It is important to remember that these are in the portable category. Size, a case, fold ability are only part of the portable equation. They can be a a little flat and boring without amping or else bumping the volume on your source. All in all an enjoyable hp.

May 31, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #3,395 of 4,373
May 31, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #3,397 of 4,373
Haven't had a chance to check in for awhile, but I wanted to report that I recently had an opportunity to compare the MDR-1A to a number of other closed cans in my collection, and can honestly say it's now my new favourite closed over-ear for portable use, replacing the M2 as my new go-to all-rounder. It's not the most revealing, nor the most detailed or spacious, but it does so much well, with such smoothness, that it makes a really great, exciting portable set of cans. For electronic and modern recorded music (which is what I listen too 99.99% on the go) it simply can't be beat. The only other headphones I'd consider that sounds this interesting are the Beyer T51 or the V-moda M-100, the latter of which has a few too many foibles to consider for 'serious' audiophile use (though it's great for solely electronic music).

Edit (addendum): I should also mention that the MDR-1As are close to being THE most comfortable cans I've ever worn, and they don't look ridiculous on your head. They also sound phenomenal when played directly from a portable device, and I heard only modest improvements when playing them through my Oppo HA-2 vs directly from my iPhone 5s.

If you need a highly revealing, accurate and spacious set of closed cans, the PM-3, MSR7 & Z7 should be on your short list, but the MDR-1A is just more fun to listen to, regardless of genre.

For reference, I listened to the NAD HP50, B&W P7, Momentum 2.0 OE, Oppo PM-3, AT MSR7, AT M50X (w/ velour pads), Beyer T51i, V-Moda M-100 (w/ XL pads) and Sony's own MDR-Z7.

May 31, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #3,398 of 4,373
  Haven't had a chance to check in for awhile, but I wanted to report that I recently had an opportunity to compare the MDR-1A to a number of other closed cans in my collection, and can honestly say it's now my new favourite closed over-ear for portable use, replacing the M2 as my new go-to all-rounder. It's not the most revealing, nor the most detailed or spacious, but it does so much well, with such smoothness, that it makes a really great, exciting portable set of cans. For electronic and modern recorded music (which is what I listen too 99.99% on the go) it simply can't be beat. The only other headphones I'd consider that sounds this interesting are the Beyer T51 or the V-moda M-100, the latter of which has a few too many foibles to consider for 'serious' audiophile use (though it's great for solely electronic music).

Edit (addendum): I should also mention that the MDR-1As are close to being THE most comfortable cans I've ever worn, and they don't look ridiculous on your head. They also sound phenomenal when played directly from a portable device, and I heard only modest improvements when playing them through my Oppo HA-2 vs directly from my iPhone 5s.

If you need a highly revealing, accurate and spacious set of closed cans, the PM-3, MSR7 & Z7 should be on your short list, but the MDR-1A is just more fun to listen to, regardless of genre.

For reference, I listened to the NAD HP50, B&W P7, Momentum 2.0 OE, Oppo PM-3, AT MSR7, AT M50X (w/ velour pads), Beyer T51i, V-Moda M-100 (w/ XL pads) and Sony's own MDR-Z7.

just curious on what you mean by the m100s having "a few too many foibles to consider for serious audiophile use?

no offence intended, just curious.  I owned the m100s a while ago, so its been a while. What did you think the mdr 1A do better than the m100s?

May 31, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #3,399 of 4,373
  I think you should add the MDR-1A too.

Going back and forth between the Momentum 2.0, I seriously cannot believe how flat the M2 is. The MDR-1A is just more joyful in every way. I've slowly come to realize how flawed my audiophile expectations were when choosing headphones for their "flatness". What I can respect though, is putting transparency, first and foremost, because really; more transparency is always better!

Transparency, by which I mean sound clarity.

I definitely don't think transparency should mean the perfect neutral signature. That's what I think is flawed with the M2.
Now saying that, there's plenty more than goes into the portable headphone equation than just sound.

But I realize now, what some reviewers said; about Sennheiser solidifying the Momentum range into a particular segment from their other headphones. I'm now seeing those segments and more. Just on sound signature though; the two distinct directions the Momentum was trying to do; being a engaging neutral, is flawed imo.

Sony has it right, the MDR-1A is no less transparent than the M2 but the direction is clear, V shaped and fun. M2 tried to do the best of both worlds and succeeds at neither. (Again this is only about it's sound btw, nothing else) I have a feeling the PM3 will beat the M2 because judging on portable headphones that are more transparent... the PM3 will do the neutral signature with more transparency, and if that's what audiophiles are judging, it'll win.

I've just about thrown in my audiophile towel actually, because I'm enjoying the MDR-1A a lot more than what those elitists would deem a sin; a coloured V shaped bass boosted signature.

But as I said, I will look fondly upon those audiophiles in the pursuit of audio transparency in a headphone. For me, I just can't enjoy music on neutral mix engineer's headphones, that's pretty much what it comes down too, and that's probably been said by lots of people already. But it's a message I want to reinforce with headphone shoppers. Choose a side of the coin first, then go looking for the headphone.

I am not sure where the flat description comes in when talking about the M2, but regardless I  would like to hear the MDR-1A

Jun 1, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #3,400 of 4,373

just curious on what you mean by the m100s having "a few too many foibles to consider for serious audiophile use?

no offence intended, just curious.  I owned the m100s a while ago, so its been a while. What did you think the mdr 1A do better than the m100s?

I own and use the M100s every single day as I am a professional DJ, but I would never touch them outside the DJ booth or for casual genre-specific listening. They are far too bass forward, and all that energy bleeds into the mids causing quite a bit of coloration. The midrange comes across sounding recessed and veiled as a result, and I also find vocals lacking in dynamics. The treble also has a tendency to sound 'sharp' or 'sparkly' like someone pushed up the loudness in the higher ranges. Don't get me wrong - these are outstandingly fun cans and a blast to listen to for the right types of music. Anytime I dial up some hardstyle or D&B, these are my go-tos.

The 1A has a similar fun signature, but much better balance overall, and much easier to live with for a wider variety of genres. I own and am keeping both - the M100s are permanently attached to my DJ console!

Jun 1, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #3,401 of 4,373

I am not sure where the flat description comes in when talking about the M2, but regardless I  would like to hear the MDR-1A

I understand his comment - the M2s sound far more towards neutral when compared to the 1As, but I def wouldn't consider them flat on their own.

I actually think these two sets of cans are great all-rounders for two different types of portable users:

The M2s for those who want some fun, but value slightly more neutrality, and likely listen to more rock/classical/jazz/vocals.
The MDR-1As for those who want even more fun, lots of bass and likely listen to electronic/pop/modern rock/metal.

Both pairs are supremely comfortable, well built and easy to drive from mobile devices. The both have single sided removable cables with phone support.

The biggest difference, IMO, is that the Momentums are overpriced. Tyll has said it, SteveG has said it... They are simply not worth $150 more than the MDR-1As (current amazon pricing) IMO.

Jun 1, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #3,402 of 4,373
  I understand his comment - the M2s sound far more towards neutral when compared to the 1As, but I def wouldn't consider them flat on their own.

I actually think these two sets of cans are great all-rounders for two different types of portable users:

The M2s for those who want some fun, but value slightly more neutrality, and likely listen to more rock/classical/jazz/vocals.
The MDR-1As for those who want even more fun, lots of bass and likely listen to electronic/pop/modern rock/metal.

Both pairs are supremely comfortable, well built and easy to drive from mobile devices. The both have single sided removable cables with phone support.

The biggest difference, IMO, is that the Momentums are overpriced. Tyll has said it, SteveG has said it... They are simply not worth $150 more than the MDR-1As (current amazon pricing) IMO.

So you think the M2 have a neutral signature as well or are you saying comparatively speaking?  Neutral/flat might be how one describes the PM-3 but not the M2. I wasn't factoring price relative to sound. Tyll did say the BT model were pricey coming in at 500.00 but I dont think he has done a M2 wired review yet which retail at 350.00, Steve G did say they were pricey. I bought mine on sale at BuySonic when they had them REALLY reduced for 2 days. Since cost is relative to purchaser, I will agree that they are a bit pricey, but the Velvets I am selling were pricier and the PM -3 were pricier, so I don't know. The price on the MDR-1A is 292.00 presently on Amazon for a new pair and since I paid much less than that for my M2 would you still say they are "better" than the M2? I haven't heard the Sony MDR1A and I do agree musical types showcase certain hp's. I remember that I didn't like the original Momentum, but if I put on a music that wasn't "involved" such as Blue's they sounded good, but with Dream Theater they were a mess.

Totally agree about the m100. I would say they are the best of the "basshead" cans and so well built.

Regardless, I still want to hear the Sony. It really sounds like a good sound signature for a portable, it is just difficult to see how portable they are from pictures. Do they fold or come with a hard case?

Jun 1, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #3,403 of 4,373

So you think the M2 have a neutral signature as well or are you saying comparatively speaking?  Neutral/flat might be how one describes the PM-3 but not the M2. I wasn't factoring price relative to sound. Tyll did say the BT model were pricey coming in at 500.00 but I dont think he has done a M2 wired review yet which retail at 350.00, Steve G did say they were pricey. I bought mine on sale at BuySonic when they had them REALLY reduced for 2 days. Since cost is relative to purchaser, I will agree that they are a bit pricey, but the Velvets I am selling were pricier and the PM -3 were pricier, so I don't know. The price on the MDR-1A is 292.00 presently on Amazon for a new pair and since I paid much less than that for my M2 would you still say they are "better" than the M2? I haven't heard the Sony MDR1A and I do agree musical types showcase certain hp's. I remember that I didn't like the original Momentum, but if I put on a music that wasn't "involved" such as Blue's they sounded good, but with Dream Theater they were a mess.

Totally agree about the m100. I would say they are the best of the "basshead" cans and so well built.

Regardless, I still want to hear the Sony. It really sounds like a good sound signature for a portable, it is just difficult to see how portable they are from pictures. Do they fold or come with a hard case?

I would def not consider the M2 neutral, I was speaking comparatively, as mentioned.

I apologize - I read the prices wrong on Amazon, and the 1A and M2 are priced fairly comparable in the US currently. This is surprising as here in Canada, the M2 carries a big premium over the 1A. I bought my 1As for C$220 (US$176), and my M2s for C$328 (US$262), both of which were fairly aggressive sale prices at the time.

I agree cost is relative to purchaser, but I think these cans should be closer in price based on performance. Tyll has mentioned that the entire Momentum range is slightly inflated in price comparable to where it should sit.

I think you are trying to quantify performance too much.. I wouldn't consider either can 'better,' just better suited to a particular user and possibly genre preference. As I mentioned in my last post, I actually think the M2 and 1A are the best all-round headphones ~$300 right now, just suited to different users and musical tastes.

M100s are indeed indestructible. I've dropped mine dozens of times while dancing behind the decks and they don't even have any scratches!

Sony's are just really... organic and smooth. They hide crap in bad recordings and make everything sound lovely. As someone who listens to Soundcloud, Beatport, Spotify, etc looking for new music to mix, this is a real bonus.

They come with two cables and a bag, but personally I don't like cases or carrying bags. They fold flat which allows me to slide them into a separate pocket in my shoulder bag, which is perfect for me. Portable cans that don't fold flat are essentially useless! This was my biggest gripe with the M2s. Folding earcups are nice, but what am I supposed to do with the resulting 4.5" ball of headphones? I should also mention that the Sony's will comfortably fold flat on your chest when not in use, a really nice bonus.

My only caveat with the Sony's is that the smartphone cable does not have volume control, just a generic call answer/pause button. Not a massive issue, as the cable is short and I'm usually fiddling with my phone anyway, but worth noting nonetheless.

Jun 1, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #3,404 of 4,373
I agree about the folding into a ball, I find it far less useful than folding flat. For me here in aus the 1a is $150 cheaper than the m2. It's also a fair bit cheaper in japan too, kinda makes sense considering all sony stuff seems to be cheaper in their home country though. You guys in the US are lucky enough to have cheap deals on the m2. I really want to try a pair!

As for portable use, the sonys are comfortable and don't stick out much on your head. They look very attractive too and also feel pretty durable but they have bass ports on the earcups which have severe wind noise while you're walking around outside. That's what made me stop using my old pair of mdr 1rmk2's for portable use and hunt out other options. Pity really, they're still the most comfortable headphones I've used (I actually liked having them on my ears than having nothing on my ears... They're like clouds!) and the sound signature was really enjoyable. 

Jun 1, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #3,405 of 4,373

I got mine from BuySonic for only $250, I haven't received them just yet. ZeosPantera/Z Reviews over on YouTube was kind enough to purchase them for me since I couldn't afford them at the time, so the least I could do was let him review the headphones before he sent them out to me. Very nice guy and I highly recommend you check out his review whenever he uploads it.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back