Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
May 5, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #3,361 of 4,373
  I think this is a really interesting perspective, and one I fight with myself about regularly - I actually prefer a more exciting, less accurate headphone for portable use, as the non-neutral presentation helps dynamically overcome ambient noises and provide more psycho-acoustic isolation. Mind you, my portable use is almost exclusively walking and in elevated volume environments, not a quiet office environment like some. In the latter case, I can certainly see a use for an accurate, closed portable.

I agree the T51 is not flat, and the bass is not necessarily 'colored,' but not entirely accurate either - this is what makes the sound so addictive to my ears, particularly when using portable. The presentation helps me get into the music more.

I think it's funny you mention the DT1350... I used to have a pre-facelift pair, and they bored the hell out of me! Out and about they seemed flat, un-engaging, veiled and downright meh. I remember the first time I used them, I strapped them on, connected them to my portable amp and iPhone, and took my dogs for a walk. When I got home I literally took them off and threw them onto the counter. I was that frustrated by how boring the sound was. After some careful listening at home I realized they were actually quite neutral and detailed, but since I wanted an engaging portable set of on-ears, they didn't last. I remember at the time feeling like the DT1350s sounded as if I had a bad head cold, lol. Plus the higher impedance was a deal breaker, as I eventually ditched my portable amp, and they are not iDevice friendly.

This is what I love about HF - different perspectives on the same topic! Cheers

P.S. How do you like the T70ps? Can you compare how they sound to the T51s or even the T1s? I have access to a used pair, but can't audition them first. Thanks!

You have a point about portable use, maybe reviewers need to start doing their testing while walking around in different environments to see how they feel about the sound.  Interesting how most of the professional reviews are done inside, but I would be curious about ranking while walking in a noisy environment such as bus stops, trains, gyms, etc.  I guess if something is for portable used it should be tested that way.  I like my PM-3s but the extend of my listening is portable around the house such as seating on the couch, or resting on the bead.  I recently saw a car stereo review for different cars and they were testing the system with the car parked.  LOL So I guess it is a similar issue with portable headphones.

May 5, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #3,362 of 4,373
  How about the AKG K550?  I think they have bigger earcups than the K545.  Massdrop is selling their AKG K553 variant right now for US$120.  Can't speak for the sound since I've never tried them but I recall hearing that they're a bit bass lite (vs. the K545) and may have sealing issues for those with smaller heads.

Also, Beyerdynamic DT770 32 Ohm may be worth a shot. However the cable is not detachable and the sound is v-shaped.  Good passive isolation and built like a tank though.

Having owned both, I personally would place neither
in the category of "portable" headphones.  Perhaps,
like the O2 amplifier, they could be seen as
"transportable".

It took some doing to get the 550 to fit well.
If it didn't, bass was not good; the whole
presentation was far less than stellar.

DT770 - yes, great isolation and built like a tank -
but way too much bass for these ears.  I really
wanted to like them, in fact I bought them twice
about a month apart.  But it was a no-go.

May 6, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #3,363 of 4,373
You have a point about portable use, maybe reviewers need to start doing their testing while walking around in different environments to see how they feel about the sound.  Interesting how most of the professional reviews are done inside, but I would be curious about ranking while walking in a noisy environment such as bus stops, trains, gyms, etc.  I guess if something is for portable used it should be tested that way.  I like my PM-3s but the extend of my listening is portable around the house such as seating on the couch, or resting on the bead.  I recently saw a car stereo review for different cars and they were testing the system with the car parked.  LOL So I guess it is a similar issue with portable headphones.

Yea, I agree with that. I feel my pm-3's sound much nicer than my now sold p7's at home but on the go I don't really concentrate on the sound so I find both as good as each other really, maybe a nod towards the p7 even due to it's pretty dang great passive isolation. In terms of comfort, understated looks, fit and practicality it's all a win for the pm-3 though so I'd still take it out every time over the p7.

Having owned both, I personally would place neither
in the category of "portable" headphones.  Perhaps,
like the O2 amplifier, they could be seen as
"transportable".

It took some doing to get the 550 to fit well.
If it didn't, bass was not good; the whole
presentation was far less than stellar.

DT770 - yes, great isolation and built like a tank -
but way too much bass for these ears.  I really
wanted to like them, in fact I bought them twice
about a month apart.  But it was a no-go.

Considering how small the ear openings are on a lot of portable 'over ear' headphones, they would be good options for people with larger ears who find the typical portable headphones uncomfortable. I'd classify them as portable considering they come with short cables although the fact that neither fold up also moves them more into the 'trabsportable' category I guess. I guess it's just up to the person if portability when they're off your head matters more than comfort.

For me headphones need to either be small on ears or foldable over ears to really count as portable. I'm lucky my ears can fit inside the typical portable over ear headphone as well.

May 6, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #3,364 of 4,373

I always mention what sounds best in real world application. When comparing portable cans folks should know what to expect when walking their dog or going to the park etc. You will see me reference, in my opinion where the PM-3 is best used and it isn't out and about. Again, I walk in all environments and generally try to walk about 3-5 miles a day. I loved the PM-3 but to me there was better hp's for inside listening, ie.. X2, so it was not a hp I was going to keep. If I had only the PM-3 yes I would be very happy but you must keep in mind this is being sold as a portable hp. To me the M2 wired version is a better portable, all environment option. The Denon's I just have begun to listen to have hope, however I have not put them through portable paces yet.

May 6, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #3,365 of 4,373
Yea, I agree with that. I feel my pm-3's sound much nicer than my now sold p7's at home but on the go I don't really concentrate on the sound so I find both as good as each other really, maybe a nod towards the p7 even due to it's pretty dang great passive isolation. In terms of comfort, understated looks, fit and practicality it's all a win for the pm-3 though so I'd still take it out every time over the p7.
Considering how small the ear openings are on a lot of portable 'over ear' headphones, they would be good options for people with larger ears who find the typical portable headphones uncomfortable. I'd classify them as portable considering they come with short cables although the fact that neither fold up also moves them more into the 'trabsportable' category I guess. I guess it's just up to the person if portability when they're off your head matters more than comfort.

For me headphones need to either be small on ears or foldable over ears to really count as portable. I'm lucky my ears can fit inside the typical portable over ear headphone as well.

I agree.  Portable headphones should be small and/or foldable.
Maybe the ability to be placed flat safely (e.g. Grado) could suffice as well.

Now, I guess, it's time to ascertain exactly what constitutes "small".
wink.gif

May 6, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #3,366 of 4,373

I agree the T51 is not flat, and the bass is not necessarily 'colored,' but not entirely accurate either - this is what makes the sound so addictive to my ears, particularly when using portable. The presentation helps me get into the music more.

I am wondering if there is some variability with the T51 like with its predecessor. I couldn't keep the T51p because of the bass. It wasn't controlled, and bled into the mids, overpowering everything. I really liked the fit and other aspects of the sound. But just couldn't handle the boom, boom bass.

I ended up with the HP50s, which are also a little bassy, look stupid, not as comfortable, but sounded much better to me. They also isolate sound a bit better than the T51s...

May 6, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #3,367 of 4,373
  I am wondering if there is some variability with the T51 like with its predecessor. I couldn't keep the T51p because of the bass. It wasn't controlled, and bled into the mids, overpowering everything. I really liked the fit and other aspects of the sound. But just couldn't handle the boom, boom bass.

I ended up with the HP50s, which are also a little bassy, look stupid, not as comfortable, but sounded much better to me. They also isolate sound a bit better than the T51s...

It's interesting you say this - my pair was actually more bass heavy when I first got them, and has since mellowed quite a bit, and I'd never call them boomy. That said, when I get new cans, I always listen to a few familiar tracks, make some notes, then burn them in for about 20h before listening again, so the change seemed very obvious.

I'd actually say the NAD and T51i have similar bass quantity, but the bass on the T51 is thicker and more visceral, while the bass on the NAD is technically more accurate, though I'd almost say the decay is a bit too sharp. I don't perceive any significant midrange bleed from either, but with the sharper decay of the NAD, it could be said to 'stay put' better.

The M50X's bass, by comparison, is a bit boomy, with a much slower decay. This makes it sound rounder and fuller, but those sensitive to midrange bleed probably won't like it.

May 6, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #3,368 of 4,373
Every morning I look at my portable on ear arsenal,I ask the following "who wants to go out to play today?"

ES7
ES10 (esw11 pads)
Vmoda XS
Amperior
T50p
DT1350
T70p

And nine times out of ten it's the DT1350 that puts his hands up first.

After 3 years they are still my go to with 901-minibox or DX90/Lehmann Traveller.

Yes I heard the T51p and to me its not flat and has coloured bass.
DT1350 still the king

Did you try the T51p out of the Minibox card? I have found this to be a synergistic pairing (and the T51p is quite fussy about amplification).

Re. the DT1350, I wanted to get them, but I heard several pairs both here and in Japan, and they all sounded quite different. There seems to be an issue with sample variation (source was my iPhone 5 in all cases...).

May 7, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #3,369 of 4,373

I decided to get the Massdrop AKG K553.  There is a thread, http://www.head-fi.org/t/653032/size-matters-earpad-hole-measurements-for-over-ear-headphones which has measurements of a few headphones.  Some of the numbers are questionable but it shows the K550 as a bit bigger than the PM-3 which was just a little small.  I might also pick up a pair of Brainwavz HM5 pads which have a larger opening and can be installed on the K553.

If that doesn't work I may try the HD 380 Pro or the DT 770, or I'll ask for more suggestions.

Good luck with the purchase.  Please let us know your impressions of the AKG K553.  :)

May 19, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #3,370 of 4,373
Will the H2 and the upcoming U Jays be included in this comparison ? 

May 20, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #3,373 of 4,373
What is the inside height and width of the Momentum M2 over ears, in millimeter (mm)? Tried google, but did not find it...

Quote:
  Looking forward to seeing the Denon AH-MM400's added to the comparison.

Yes, they look both nice, and probably sound good also. I would probably not purchase them for office or portable use, as the sound isolation is said to be poor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back