Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
May 2, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #3,331 of 4,373

What headphones should I order to try next?

How about the AKG K550?  I think they have bigger earcups than the K545.  Massdrop is selling their AKG K553 variant right now for US$120.  Can't speak for the sound since I've never tried them but I recall hearing that they're a bit bass lite (vs. the K545) and may have sealing issues for those with smaller heads.

Also, Beyerdynamic DT770 32 Ohm may be worth a shot. However the cable is not detachable and the sound is v-shaped.  Good passive isolation and built like a tank though.

May 2, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #3,332 of 4,373
  I'm looking for closed over the ear portable headphones that will be comfortable for long periods of time.  But my ears are larger than average and my right ear is slightly larger than my left.

My previous pair was a Sony MDR-7506.  It didn't fit entirely around my ears but it was light and didn't clamp too hard.  I could wear it for most of a weekend but I'd be plenty sore by the end.  I would like something which would be a step up.

I've tried everything I could find for sale in the Boston area.  In no particular order:

1. The Sennheiser Momentum M2 was too small.
  2. The Blue Mo-Fi was tiny.
  3. The Bowers & Wilkins P7 was too small.
  4. The PSG M4U1 was too small.
  5. The Master & Dynamic MH-40 was narrow.
  6. The PSB M4U 1 was too small.
  7. The NAD VISO HP50 was not deep enough.  My right ear touched the driver cover.
  8. The V Moda M-100 with the standard earpads was too small.
  9. The Oppo PM-3 left side was OK but my right ear touched the pad around most of the circumference.
  10. The Bang & Olufsen H6 fit over the left ear but touched the pad on the right.
  11. The AKG K545 left side was OK but my right ear touched the top and bottom.
  12. The Denon Music Maniac AH-D600 went over my ears but I could not get it to be comfortable.  I'm not sure why.
  13. The Beyerdynamic Custom STUDIO had no isolation as far as I could hear.

My ideal headset would be reasonably portable, preferably with a removable cord.  It would have good passive isolation.  Lighter weight is better than heavier.  Rugged is also important - The 7506 survived many years of abuse.  And it would be comfortable enough that I could wear it all day.

As far as sound, I'm not looking for lots of lows or highs.  I think I want a detailed (analytic?) midrange.  This might be a result of my spending lots of time with the MDR-7506 or it might be my tendency to plug what I'm wearing into everything from a portable MP3 player to a home stereo to a shortwave ham radio station.  For music I listen to various stuff, from a cappella Balkan to Vivaldi.  I'm not into heavy metal or playing at high volumes.

I just sent the PM-3 back to Oppo after listening for a couple hours.  They sounded wonderful but my right ear was already getting painful.

Auditioning headphones isn't a lot of fun for me (heresy on this forum, I know).  My goal is to find a suitable pair of headphones and then to go back to listening to stuff.  Right now all I have are a couple communications headsets and a Lightspeed Zulu.2, none of which are really suitable for music listening.

What headphones should I order to try next?

Sounds like you have average sized ears.  And MOST "portable"  over the ear phones cater to children or people with small ears.  For OE cans that will actually surround an average sized male ear, they are going to be bigger and not so "cool"  looking for use in public.  Some bigger cans from Shure, Sony, Beyer, Mr. Speakers and other T50 modded variants and Senn come to mind.  It can be frustrating finding a good candidate.  Good hunting

May 2, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #3,335 of 4,373
  I could be wrong, but can't you change the ear pads on the Momentum M2? 

You can, they are replaceable. But if you are referring to totally different style, I can't answer that.

May 3, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #3,337 of 4,373
  Yea, that's what I thought. So one could get bigger ear pads if the regular ones were too small? 

You would have to find ones that fit first though, which could end up costing a lot of money and time if they were hard to find. They would change the sound of the headphones too so at that point I'd say it's more worth buying cans that would fit from the start. Pad rolling is more for fun and seeing if you can improve the sound if you're already stuck with the headphones imo.

May 3, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #3,338 of 4,373
  You would have to find ones that fit first though, which could end up costing a lot of money and time if they were hard to find. They would change the sound of the headphones too so at that point I'd say it's more worth buying cans that would fit from the start. Pad rolling is more for fun and seeing if you can improve the sound if you're already stuck with the headphones imo.

Interesting, I didn't even think about that. 

May 4, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #3,342 of 4,373
  How about the AKG K550?  I think they have bigger earcups than the K545.  Massdrop is selling their AKG K553 variant right now for US$120.  Can't speak for the sound since I've never tried them but I recall hearing that they're a bit bass lite (vs. the K545) and may have sealing issues for those with smaller heads.

Also, Beyerdynamic DT770 32 Ohm may be worth a shot. However the cable is not detachable and the sound is v-shaped.  Good passive isolation and built like a tank though.

I decided to get the Massdrop AKG K553.  There is a thread, http://www.head-fi.org/t/653032/size-matters-earpad-hole-measurements-for-over-ear-headphones which has measurements of a few headphones.  Some of the numbers are questionable but it shows the K550 as a bit bigger than the PM-3 which was just a little small.  I might also pick up a pair of Brainwavz HM5 pads which have a larger opening and can be installed on the K553.

If that doesn't work I may try the HD 380 Pro or the DT 770, or I'll ask for more suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back