Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Apr 2, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #3,151 of 4,373

Not in terms of quantity, but in terms of boomy-ness. To me the M4U1 have cleaner bass than the H6, but both still have just a little bit too much bass for me. Would the Momentum 2 suit me, or does it have equal/more bass than these 2 cans?

Interesting, I found it the opposite. The Momentum 2's have more bass than either...if you're finding the H6 has too much.

Apr 3, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #3,152 of 4,373
After reading through many of the posts on this thread, and reading professional reviews. I am starting to think that the headphone manufacturers are unable to produce the same headphone twice. There are far to many people with different opinions regarding bass, treble, and mids, even when comparing to the same cans. IE: H6 vs M2, H6 vs M4U etc...

Apr 3, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #3,154 of 4,373
I am trying to arrange an audition for the PM-3 and Spirit Pro with the hope either one of these would be the one for me. Though I am a bit worried about the Spirit Pro as according to Tyll's measurements it has thicker sound sig, a bit bassier, and harsher treble compared to the H6.

Apr 3, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #3,155 of 4,373
I had the opportunity a couple days ago to audition the NAD HP50, B&W P7, PSB M4U2, B&O H6, Beyer T51i, AT M50s and V-moda M-100 back to back with my personal 'phones - Grado HF-2s, custom built 325s and Hifiman HE-400i.

I'd say your analysis and ranking is spot on! I was actually quite surprised in the similarity of opinion. The NAD was very clearly the best of the bunch with the biggest, most appealing sound, though I really liked the signature of the P7 and especially the T51i. For a tiny on ear portable, the T51 def gets my pick!

I placed a pre order with the Canadian distributor of Oppo, so hopefully will have a PM-3 soon, and will report back. I'm hoping to get a chance to A-B it with a store pair of Momentum 2s (not out yet here in Canada).

Pretty excited to finally find a decent pair of sealed cans for on the go! Great thread, and thanks again

Apr 4, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #3,156 of 4,373
After reading through many of the posts on this thread, and reading professional reviews. I am starting to think that the headphone manufacturers are unable to produce the same headphone twice. There are far to many people with different opinions regarding bass, treble, and mids, even when comparing to the same cans. IE: H6 vs M2, H6 vs M4U etc...

it could be a number of things, for example the size of the ears, whether or not they wear glasses ( thick frames vs thin frames)

even head shape as well, if your heads too big, maybe the headphones don't extend that far?

and of course preferences (and what their listening to prior to using those headphones) ex of say your listening to for example, the beats studio 2013 and then jump over to the h6 (the small over ear one) you'd notice a huge drop in bass, where you would almost think its anemic, when its just leaner overall. (this was what i thought when i listened to the h6, originally, but it was much more open sounding and less congested compared to the studio 2013.

theres probably more reasons, but their just not coming to me atm

Also
I had the opportunity a couple days ago to audition the NAD HP50, B&W P7, PSB M4U2, B&O H6, Beyer T51i, AT M50s and V-moda M-100 back to back with my personal 'phones - Grado HF-2s, custom built 325s and Hifiman HE-400i.

I'd say your analysis and ranking is spot on! I was actually quite surprised in the similarity of opinion. The NAD was very clearly the best of the bunch with the biggest, most appealing sound, though I really liked the signature of the P7 and especially the T51i. For a tiny on ear portable, the T51 def gets my pick!

I placed a pre order with the Canadian distributor of Oppo, so hopefully will have a PM-3 soon, and will report back. I'm hoping to get a chance to A-B it with a store pair of Momentum 2s (not out yet here in Canada).

Pretty excited to finally find a decent pair of sealed cans for on the go! Great thread, and thanks again

yes! i would love to hear the momentum 2.0 up here in canada (even in toronto, i haven't seen them yet).... why do canadians get the short end of the stick? we are so close to the States, you'd think we would get them sooner!

Apr 6, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #3,159 of 4,373
So for you guys that have listened to all the different headphones in this thread,

which one would you pick for heavier music. 

Stuff like Tool, Machinehead, Alice in chains...... 

Momentum 2 or T51p or XS

Apr 6, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #3,160 of 4,373
This might not be the conventional wisdom, but personally I've found the Grado PS500 very nice with my Tool collection. Then again, you can get a new pair of P7s for the price that a used PS500 typically goes for, and I haven't listened to the P7 extensively at all. Seems like a very solid choice provided you like B&W's sound signature.

Apr 6, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #3,161 of 4,373
  So for you guys that have listened to all the different headphones in this thread,

I can't say that I'm qualified to make fair comparisons since I only own the Beats Studio (2013) and also the Sennheiser M2. The latter are mine now for less than a week, though.

The M2 best the Beats without a doubt. Listening to Tool with my new headphones has been a joy in so many ways, I've heard things I've never heard before. (and I'm quiet familiar with Tool's records, I might add)

The M2 is a wonderful pair of headphones, I highly recommend them. 
smily_headphones1.gif

MacedonianHero: Thank you for comparing all these headphones for the community, you helped me a lot finding a new pair of decent sounding cans.  I opted for the M2 after you praised these headphones and the M2 certainly did not fail to deliver. Thank you!

Apr 6, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #3,162 of 4,373

Ultraportable / Travel:  Beyerdynamic T51i
Portable EDM / Metal: V-Moda M-100 w/ XL Pads
Portable Rock / Jazz:  NAD HP50
Portable All-Around:    B&W P7 (also the most stylish)

I have not heard the PM-3 or Momentum 2 yet, however. From the sounds of it, the Momentum may cover all the bases better than the P7. For example, I preferred the P7 with EDM style music to the NAD, but liked the NAD for Jazz and Rock due to the better mids. The M-100, which MH hasn't actually reviewed surprised me by being a wickedly fun set of cans. Sometimes we want to think we don't want 'warm' or 'coloured' cans, but something more intellectually analytical - but the M-100s are a f&%#ing good time, and amazing with EDM and any type of Pop. I have actually bought a used pair after hearing them, as they are just that much fun to listen to.

I also ordered a set of T51is as they were on sale at my local shop recently, and plan to use these for travel due to their incredibly small size and great sound. They also isolate like crazy, so are ideal for air travel.

Apr 6, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #3,164 of 4,373
So, MH, now you only need to "test" the PM3 and Master and Dynamics MH40/30! :p

Apr 6, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #3,165 of 4,373
  Sorry if I misunderstood, but are you saying the M2 are just decent sounding cans? 

"Decent" tends to imply that something is good but not outstandingly good, but that is not what I meant. What I really like about these headphones is the soundstage, the sonic signature and the clarity of each instrument. But the soundstage is the most noticeable improvement when compared to the older generation and also to other headphones that are in the same price range, such as the Beats Studio and Bose's QuietComfort25. But you should try them out yourself. 

I can only say that I'm extremely happy with my choice and they are definitely keepers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back