Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Mar 25, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #3,123 of 4,373
I listened to the Audeze closed EL-8s at Stereo Exchange's event yesterday. I found them fairly underwhelming, to be honest. Of course, I was comparing them to the LCD-XC which was right next to it, making direct comparisons between the two. The LCD-XC pretty much blew the EL-8 out of the water in every imaginable way...better resolution, much better bass, better soundstage, clearer highs, etc. Of course, that should be expected considering the price difference but I was hoping the EL-8 closed would at least be 80% of the LCD-XC sound but I just didn't find that to be the case.

It convinced me to buy the LCD-XC on the spot though, which I did. LCD-XCs are by far the best sounding closed headphones I have ever heard. I don't understand why they don't get more hype. I think they might have the best low end of all the Audeze headphones, even better than the LCD-3s. 

I am actually not sure EL-8s are even good for the price. Pretty disappointed by the sound honestly. 

I really appreciate your open words. Let's see where this develops. After my first enthusiasm, I also was quite disappointed with my LCD-X when driving it with my solid state amps, especially my HDVD800. Now recently I heard another LCD-X in a shop, also on the HDVD800 and it isounded faaaaaaar better than my combi. It actually sounded excellent.

My LCD-X only sounds on such level with one of my tube amps.... hmmm, and the guy in the shop told me that they normally wait in selling the Audezes until after the first production lot(s)...

Well, when I bought mine, I couldn't wait and ordered them directly from Audeze already several month before they were on stock here in Singapore. In other words, mine is one of a very early lot...

So yes, I am very tempted by the EL-8, but be sure I will wait min until 6 months after their market introduction respectively until I come tho the impression that most headfi-ers here come to very similar conclusions concerning their sound and discussion is reduced to different personal preferences.

Sorry to be rather off-topic here, but reading pachoo5's comment is kind of a déjà vu.

Mar 25, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #3,124 of 4,373
How is the soundstage on the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0? Does it sound closed in? Or is it pretty decent? As someone who's never heard a pair of open back headphones before, or even a pair of high quality closed back headphones before, do you think I'll be impressed?  

Years ago I used to own these and I remember being pretty impressed with them- http://www.amazon.com/Bose-On-Ear-Headphones-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B002LK2QJK

So I don't have any doubt's that I won't be more than satisfied with the Momentum 2.0. However, I am curious to how wide the soundstage is. I've heard it does have a good soundstage if the song was recorded with a good soundstage. 

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #3,125 of 4,373
  How is the soundstage on the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0? Does it sound closed in? Or is it pretty decent? As someone who's never heard a pair of open back headphones before, or even a pair of high quality closed back headphones before, do you think I'll be impressed?  

Years ago I used to own these and I remember being pretty impressed with them- http://www.amazon.com/Bose-On-Ear-Headphones-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B002LK2QJK

So I don't have any doubt's that I won't be more than satisfied with the Momentum 2.0. However, I am curious to how wide the soundstage is. I've heard it does have a good soundstage if the song was recorded with a good soundstage. 

I'm pretty sure I addressed that in my review. 
wink.gif
 You might want to swing by the first post.

But if you're looking for a more thorough review, I am working on one for both for Headphone.guru. 
smile.gif

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #3,126 of 4,373
This comparison desperately needs then PM-3. Seems to be the main contender right now for the wired Momentums.

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #3,128 of 4,373

I'm pretty sure I addressed that in my review. 
wink.gif
 You might want to swing by the first post.

But if you're looking for a more thorough review, I am working on one for both for Headphone.guru. 
smile.gif

I have indeed read your whole review. It's very well written and informative. You did a fantastic job on this whole page. :) 

It's just that I didn't see you saying anything about how "wide" the soundstage was. But I was also asking to get other people's opinion on how wide the soundstage is. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #3,129 of 4,373
  I have indeed read your whole review. It's very well written and informative. You did a fantastic job on this whole page. :) 

It's just that I didn't see you saying anything about how "wide" the soundstage was. But I was also asking to get other people's opinion on how wide the soundstage is. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

Its in the scoring section for "Imaging"...that refers to sound staging ability. It's one of the widest and deepest I've reviewed here. 
redface.gif

Others are more than welcome to chime in too!

Mar 26, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #3,131 of 4,373
PM-3 arrived today (seriously fantastic service from Addicted to Audio in Melbourne - I ordered Wednesday night and here in NZ Friday morning).

Just going to lunch now, so actually get to open the box and have a listen. Won't have a chance to A/B them with the Senn's until tomorrow or maybe Sunday (my sons fifth birthday tomorrow).

Mar 26, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #3,132 of 4,373
PM-3 arrived today (seriously fantastic service from Addicted to Audio in Melbourne - I ordered Wednesday night and here in NZ Friday morning).

Just going to lunch now, so actually get to open the box and have a listen. Won't have a chance to A/B them with the Senn's until tomorrow or maybe Sunday (my sons fifth birthday tomorrow).

Do you have to pay import tax for them? Looking forward to your impressions mate, especially to how it fares against the M2.

Mar 27, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #3,133 of 4,373

Love addicted to audio, they have some fantastic customer service there. Also pretty close to my uni so I can head over and check stuff out pretty much every day of the week!

Looking forward to hearing how they'll compare to the senns. :)

Mar 28, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #3,134 of 4,373
Ok call off the dogs, the search is over

A while back on this thread I said I wanted a mini LCDX in a portable closed back form. I am now wearing it.

The Oppo PM3.

Smooth, fatigue free, luscious mids, good highs. Bass is articulate though perhaps could be a little bigger. And this is out of the box!

Isolateds very well ( better than M2) and seems to have passed the wife test

Luxurious build, light, comfortable

M2 is going back, T51p and P7 up for sale. This is it guys. I'm done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back