Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Mar 28, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #3,136 of 4,373
M2 is going back, T51p and P7 up for sale. This is it guys. I'm done.

That's where I'm at. I've heard most of the phones in this category, and this is easily the best... at least for my taste.

I like that that the bass is more balanced and not excessive, but I might be in the minority these days.

Mar 28, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #3,138 of 4,373
Apr 1, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #3,140 of 4,373
Ok call off the dogs, the search is over

A while back on this thread I said I wanted a mini LCDX in a portable closed back form. I am now wearing it.

The Oppo PM3.

Smooth, fatigue free, luscious mids, good highs. Bass is articulate though perhaps could be a little bigger. And this is out of the box!

Isolateds very well ( better than M2) and seems to have passed the wife test

Luxurious build, light, comfortable

M2 is going back, T51p and P7 up for sale. This is it guys. I'm done.

I think this will be the case for many of us. I will have many closed back portable fore sale soon also now that I have the pm-3.

Jim

Apr 1, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #3,142 of 4,373
@MacedonianHero - Although it's a pretty heavy set of cans, I'd be interested in knowing the Blue Mo-Fi compares to these other 'phones. I just read your review and was curious how they stacked up!

Cheers

Apr 1, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #3,143 of 4,373
  @MacedonianHero - Although it's a pretty heavy set of cans, I'd be interested in knowing the Blue Mo-Fi compares to these other 'phones. I just read your review and was curious how they stacked up!

Cheers

While I liked the Mo-Fi's, I wouldn't consider them as "portables". But you can find my review for them here:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/blue-microphones-mo-fi-powered-high-fidelity-headphones-with-integrated-audiophile-amplifier/reviews/12030

Cheers!

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #3,144 of 4,373

While I liked the Mo-Fi's, I wouldn't consider them as "portables". But you can find my review for them here:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/blue-microphones-mo-fi-powered-high-fidelity-headphones-with-integrated-audiophile-amplifier/reviews/12030

Cheers!

Thanks, much appreciated! I'd actually read your review already and was wondering about sonic comparisons to the other phones in this test. I'm a big lad, and have heaved much larger cans around as 'portables' before, so was more interested in how you thought they compared from a musical standpoint.

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #3,145 of 4,373
  Thanks, much appreciated! I'd actually read your review already and was wondering about sonic comparisons to the other phones in this test. I'm a big lad, and have heaved much larger cans around as 'portables' before, so was more interested in how you thought they compared from a musical standpoint.

I also owned them. I think they would overall be upper middle of the pack in sound quality. It is nice because if you think you need a to buy a portable amp with the MOFI you don't. I would actually have to give comparisons strictly from memory, as I returned them. I enjoyed them and thought they were very musical. The design to me was cool and yes they were heavy, but well engineered.

Apr 2, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #3,146 of 4,373

I think sonically, they'd be in the top 1/3rd or so. Quite good actually, but darn big!

Apr 2, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #3,147 of 4,373
Curious about the PM-3, but I remain impressed by the T51i. The only critique I have is that it could have a wider soundstage and poor source material isn't shown much mercy. But for an on-ear not sure there is a better choice for my ears. Over-ear is a different kettle of fish...

Apr 2, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #3,148 of 4,373
I finally get to audition the B&O H6 a couple of days ago, and although I quite like it, I like the PSB M4U1 better....is that weird? The H6 still have...too much bass for my taste. The M4U1 to me sounds like it have a bit of HD800 sound sig.

Apr 2, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #3,149 of 4,373
  I finally get to audition the B&O H6 a couple of days ago, and although I quite like it, I like the PSB M4U1 better....is that weird? The H6 still have...too much bass for my taste. The M4U1 to me sounds like it have a bit of HD800 sound sig.

You're finding the H6s have more bass than the M4U1s?

Apr 2, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #3,150 of 4,373

You're finding the H6s have more bass than the M4U1s?

Not in terms of quantity, but in terms of boomy-ness. To me the M4U1 have cleaner bass than the H6, but both still have just a little bit too much bass for me. Would the Momentum 2 suit me, or does it have equal/more bass than these 2 cans?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back