Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Aug 8, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #2,386 of 4,373
Thanks! Actually the DT1350s would have ranked much higher if they weren't as painful to wear and more consistent. I've heard 4-5 pair and they all sounded quite different from each other.

Aug 8, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #2,387 of 4,373
Interesting. Well, I'm glad I got a good one. :D

Aug 9, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #2,388 of 4,373
Thanks! Actually the DT1350s would have ranked much higher if they weren't as painful to wear and more consistent. I've heard 4-5 pair and they all sounded quite different from each other.

Hard to understand how that happens so much with Beyer? I remember reading that there was always a considerably variation with the DT 880 as well; at least with the driver impedances not matching and straying from the posted specs. In that regard the new HE 560 also seems to suffer as many are finding the stated 32ohm for the cans is quite far from the measured with results around or at 50ohms not uncommon.

Aug 9, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #2,389 of 4,373

Hard to understand how that happens so much with Beyer? I remember reading that there was always a considerably variation with the DT 880 as well; at least with the driver impedances not matching and straying from the posted specs. In that regard the new HE 560 also seems to suffer as many are finding the stated 32ohm for the cans is quite far from the measured with results around or at 50ohms not uncommon.

I never heard of the DT880 variation, but there were rumours of bass-lite T1s? 

Aug 9, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #2,390 of 4,373
Weeks ago, I set out on (what I had not planned at the time) — an unending journey to find the perfect set of portable cans. I work for a major retail store, so I have taken full advantage of my generous employee discount to audition (once again, not exactly intended) a few of the premium headphones listed here. Unfortunately, my store does not carry these fine headphones in store, so I must order without trying. 

While my findings have not always been in congruence with MH’s findings, I do appreciate his work and having this comprehensive ranking of headphones to draw from is a boon for charting my next course of action. 

Back in June, I did a good bit of research and made the venerable Sennheiser Momentum my first choice, which was $150+ (or $160+) with my discount. To my nascent audiophile ears, the sound quality was very much what I was looking for. I also really dug the look of the Senns — I found the combination of leather and metal very attractive. I had the chocolate/brown color, mainly because the other two color options were more expensive with my discount. Ivory being the most expensive. Why, I don’t know? Did Sennheiser have to kill an elephant to get the Ivory? Nonetheless, I really liked the understated elegance of the earthly toned Momentums and the technical prowess of the Momentums struck the right chords. Alas, like many, I did not find the Momentums particularly comfortable. They seem to be a really polarizing so far as comfort goes; some find them supremely comfortable while others yearn to rip them off. Like others, I could not fit my darn ears within the cups, perhaps this is why the clamping force was too much for me. So, I parted ways with them. 

The next headphone I tried was not exactly portable, nor pertinent to this thread — the Sennheiser HD598. I sought to broaden my horizons, and give an open backer a whirl. Everyone raved about the HD598s soundstage and I thought perhaps the experience of an immense soundstage would overcome my inclinations for a closed-back, portable set of cans? Well, the 598s came and went. Unlike the Momentums, they were very comfortable and the polarizing aesthetics worked for me. However, I didn’t really care for the laid-back sound when driven from my portable devices (iPhone 5, MacBook Pro). Many cite the 598s ease of drivability at 50 ohms as one of their virtues. Yet, I felt the sound quality left much to be desired through my MacBook. I tried them with a receiver but they became somewhat muddy with more low-end presence. A good DAC/amp may have been the antidote but, by that point, I had decided a closed-back set of cans was what I really wanted. I had the 598s while I had the Momentums, and I much preferred the engaging sound of the Momentums, as opposed to the “diffuse” sound of the 598s. 

So, the third headphone I ordered was the NAD Viso HP50s. Got them for $160 and change. Finding this thread very much influenced this pick. As of this writing, I am still in possession of the HP50s. But, their days are numbered. Sadly, the HP50s suffer from the same syndrome that the Momentums do, great sound but not-so-great comfort. While I had already parted ways with the Momentums before obtaining the HP50s, I do believe the HP50s are a touch more comfortable — but the clamping force on both is unacceptable to me. Due to the unique Frankenstein-inspired headband, the HP50s also create a pressure point at the top of the skull. As for their looks, they are not quite as homely as they appear in pictures. I find — when it comes to headphones — the merits of sound quality inform my sense of aesthetic. I’ve been really pulling for Paul Barton’s baby to prevail, but they are just a drop too uncomfortable to me. 

After ordering (and before taking delivery of them) I had an unexpected sit down with my boss, who was alerted by corporate to my wave of headphone purchases. I had also bought a pair of steeply discounted SoundTrues for my dad as a belated father’s day gift amidst all the other purchases. The conversation wasn’t threatening, he only wished to ensure I wasn’t operating an eBay store specializing in fine headphones. From that point forward, I knew I had to be more judicious with my headphone purchases — if not curtail them completely.

I swung up to a local audio store and tried out the KEF M500s. While the comfort was there, the fit was not. The clamping force was negligible but they were awfully slippery and did not stay on. I didn’t listen for an extended period of time, so I cannot comment on SQ. They seem like a nice pair of headphones but sometimes I like to shake my head and flail my arms when I get into my music. The KEFs wouldn’t work in this application. 

One Sunday, I broke down and ordered the Bowers & Wilkins P7 (from the Apple Store) and Sony MDR-1R (from Amazon). Strangely, though my store has an exhaustive array of Sony headphones, it does not carry the latter (thus no discount). I would, however, get a discount on the B&W P7 ($239). Reproach me at will for purchasing from the Apple Store solely to audition — but if I were to purchase another headphone from work, I want to make sure I like it first. 

The B&W came first and it is, in my opinion, the best sounding headphone I have ever listened to — mind you, among the short list of headphones I have listened to over an extended period of time; the DT990 and HiFiMan headphones (etc.) I have listened to briefly do not count. The sound signature is more v-shaped, or u-shaped as others have noted — like Tyll at InnerFidelity, I didn’t think this would play to my tastes, but I wound up liking it quite a bit. The one thing the P7 does really well that none of the others do quite as well is imaging. Both the HP50 and MDR-1R have a wide luscious mid-range, vocals in your face, but the sound, next to the P7, is comparatively two dimensional (I’m wanting to say). While vocals are a bit less forward in the P7, the clarity and detail is there across the board. I lined up the HP50, MDR-1R, and P7 and played a few lossless tracks from my MacBook for my Mom and Dad, both of them felt the P7 was the sharpest (and best) of the trio. 

As far as build quality and aesthetics go, the P7 is infallible. It oozes class. I thought nothing could best the Senns here but I have to hand it to B&W. The removable, magnetic ear cups are are among the neat flourishes. 

But, the P7 has one shortcoming. As one reviewer stated (I forget whom), “they are not the last word in comfort.” Bowers and Wilkins takes a different approach to discomfort than NAD (with the HP50) and Sennheiser (with the Momentum). The cavity of the ear pads are deep enough to accommodate my ears but the P7s never exactly disappear during use, they are a big headset. That said, I probably find them the most comfortable of the three uncomfortable headsets I’ve tried. Or, rather, better worded: the least uncomfortable of three headsets. 

The MDR-1R, on the other hand, is profoundly more comfortable than the P7, Momentum, and HP50. Sony really nailed it there. I don’t know how some people still chafe about the MDR-1Rs on the comfort front. These got to be a universally comfortable can. Saying they are uncomfortable is like walking outside on a bitterly cold winter’s night and exclaiming “it’s so hot and balmy!” On top of that, the MDR-1Rs do not sound profoundly worse than the others. They have a similar sound signature (warmer side of neutral and a strong midsection) to the HP50s. I can tell the NADs are more refined (the Sonys seem to produce shrill high-mids with some vocalists) but the combination of “good” sound quality and superb comfort make the Sonys a strong consideration. 

However, they don’t really elicit the ooey gooey feeling the others do. While I dig the looks more than I imagined I would, the build quality — particularly the materials used — is not up to par with the others. Another thing that gripes me is that I could have all of the wonderful previously mentioned headphones (and others) at good prices, but I paid what the masses do for the MDR-1R. The P7 at $239 feels like such a better deal than the MDR-1R at $180. Not to mention, the Momentum and HP50 were (for me) cheaper than the MDR-1R. 

I’m thinking of returning the HP50 and ordering the P7 from my store. I’d like to give AKG 545 a whirl (at $126) and I get 70% off V-MODA offerings but I should order no more than one pair, lest I get fired. The Sony MDR-7520 and Beyerdynamic DT770 32ohm have piqued my interest but I get a discount on neither. 

Sorry for the long post, did not intend for it to be this long. I had a lot to say though. If you have any questions, I’ll do my best to answer. Thanks for affording me your attention. 

Aug 9, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #2,391 of 4,373
^^^ Great write up! Thanks for that. I really liked the P7s, their comfort was ok with me, but their lack of portability was their biggest issue for me. They were great sounding/fun headphones! Are those the Mk2 Sony's?

Aug 9, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #2,392 of 4,373
Weeks ago, I set out on (what I had not planned at the time) — an unending journey to find the perfect set of portable cans. I work for a major retail store, so I have taken full advantage of my generous employee discount to audition (once again, not exactly intended) a few of the premium headphones listed here. Unfortunately, my store does not carry these fine headphones in store, so I must order without trying. 

While my findings have not always been in congruence with MH’s findings, I do appreciate his work and having this comprehensive ranking of headphones to draw from is a boon for charting my next course of action. 

Back in June, I did a good bit of research and made the venerable Sennheiser Momentum my first choice, which was $150+ (or $160+) with my discount. To my nascent audiophile ears, the sound quality was very much what I was looking for. I also really dug the look of the Senns — I found the combination of leather and metal very attractive. I had the chocolate/brown color, mainly because the other two color options were more expensive with my discount. Ivory being the most expensive. Why, I don’t know? Did Sennheiser have to kill an elephant to get the Ivory? Nonetheless, I really liked the understated elegance of the earthly toned Momentums and the technical prowess of the Momentums struck the right chords. Alas, like many, I did not find the Momentums particularly comfortable. They seem to be a really polarizing so far as comfort goes; some find them supremely comfortable while others yearn to rip them off. Like others, I could not fit my darn ears within the cups, perhaps this is why the clamping force was too much for me. So, I parted ways with them. 

The next headphone I tried was not exactly portable, nor pertinent to this thread — the Sennheiser HD598. I sought to broaden my horizons, and give an open backer a whirl. Everyone raved about the HD598s soundstage and I thought perhaps the experience of an immense soundstage would overcome my inclinations for a closed-back, portable set of cans? Well, the 598s came and went. Unlike the Momentums, they were very comfortable and the polarizing aesthetics worked for me. However, I didn’t really care for the laid-back sound when driven from my portable devices (iPhone 5, MacBook Pro). Many cite the 598s ease of drivability at 50 ohms as one of their virtues. Yet, I felt the sound quality left much to be desired through my MacBook. I tried them with a receiver but they became somewhat muddy with more low-end presence. A good DAC/amp may have been the antidote but, by that point, I had decided a closed-back set of cans was what I really wanted. I had the 598s while I had the Momentums, and I much preferred the engaging sound of the Momentums, as opposed to the “diffuse” sound of the 598s. 

So, the third headphone I ordered was the NAD Viso HP50s. Got them for $160 and change. Finding this thread very much influenced this pick. As of this writing, I am still in possession of the HP50s. But, their days are numbered. Sadly, the HP50s suffer from the same syndrome that the Momentums do, great sound but not-so-great comfort. While I had already parted ways with the Momentums before obtaining the HP50s, I do believe the HP50s are a touch more comfortable — but the clamping force on both is unacceptable to me. Due to the unique Frankenstein-inspired headband, the HP50s also create a pressure point at the top of the skull. As for their looks, they are not quite as homely as they appear in pictures. I find — when it comes to headphones — the merits of sound quality inform my sense of aesthetic. I’ve been really pulling for Paul Barton’s baby to prevail, but they are just a drop too uncomfortable to me. 

After ordering (and before taking delivery of them) I had an unexpected sit down with my boss, who was alerted by corporate to my wave of headphone purchases. I had also bought a pair of steeply discounted SoundTrues for my dad as a belated father’s day gift amidst all the other purchases. The conversation wasn’t threatening, he only wished to ensure I wasn’t operating an eBay store specializing in fine headphones. From that point forward, I knew I had to be more judicious with my headphone purchases — if not curtail them completely.

I swung up to a local audio store and tried out the KEF M500s. While the comfort was there, the fit was not. The clamping force was negligible but they were awfully slippery and did not stay on. I didn’t listen for an extended period of time, so I cannot comment on SQ. They seem like a nice pair of headphones but sometimes I like to shake my head and flail my arms when I get into my music. The KEFs wouldn’t work in this application. 

One Sunday, I broke down and ordered the Bowers & Wilkins P7 (from the Apple Store) and Sony MDR-1R (from Amazon). Strangely, though my store has an exhaustive array of Sony headphones, it does not carry the latter (thus no discount). I would, however, get a discount on the B&W P7 ($239). Reproach me at will for purchasing from the Apple Store solely to audition — but if I were to purchase another headphone from work, I want to make sure I like it first. 

The B&W came first and it is, in my opinion, the best sounding headphone I have ever listened to — mind you, among the short list of headphones I have listened to over an extended period of time; the DT990 and HiFiMan headphones (etc.) I have listened to briefly do not count. The sound signature is more v-shaped, or u-shaped as others have noted — like Tyll at InnerFidelity, I didn’t think this would play to my tastes, but I wound up liking it quite a bit. The one thing the P7 does really well that none of the others do quite as well is imaging. Both the HP50 and MDR-1R have a wide luscious mid-range, vocals in your face, but the sound, next to the P7, is comparatively two dimensional (I’m wanting to say). While vocals are a bit less forward in the P7, the clarity and detail is there across the board. I lined up the HP50, MDR-1R, and P7 and played a few lossless tracks from my MacBook for my Mom and Dad, both of them felt the P7 was the sharpest (and best) of the trio. 

As far as build quality and aesthetics go, the P7 is infallible. It oozes class. I thought nothing could best the Senns here but I have to hand it to B&W. The removable, magnetic ear cups are are among the neat flourishes. 

But, the P7 has one shortcoming. As one reviewer stated (I forget whom), “they are not the last word in comfort.” Bowers and Wilkins takes a different approach to discomfort than NAD (with the HP50) and Sennheiser (with the Momentum). The cavity of the ear pads are deep enough to accommodate my ears but the P7s never exactly disappear during use, they are a big headset. That said, I probably find them the most comfortable of the three uncomfortable headsets I’ve tried. Or, rather, better worded: the least uncomfortable of three headsets. 

The MDR-1R, on the other hand, is profoundly more comfortable than the P7, Momentum, and HP50. Sony really nailed it there. I don’t know how some people still chafe about the MDR-1Rs on the comfort front. These got to be a universally comfortable can. Saying they are uncomfortable is like walking outside on a bitterly cold winter’s night and exclaiming “it’s so hot and balmy!” On top of that, the MDR-1Rs do not sound profoundly worse than the others. They have a similar sound signature (warmer side of neutral and a strong midsection) to the HP50s. I can tell the NADs are more refined (the Sonys seem to produce shrill high-mids with some vocalists) but the combination of “good” sound quality and superb comfort make the Sonys a strong consideration. 

However, they don’t really elicit the ooey gooey feeling the others do. While I dig the looks more than I imagined I would, the build quality — particularly the materials used — is not up to par with the others. Another thing that gripes me is that I could have all of the wonderful previously mentioned headphones (and others) at good prices, but I paid what the masses do for the MDR-1R. The P7 at $239 feels like such a better deal than the MDR-1R at $180. Not to mention, the Momentum and HP50 were (for me) cheaper than the MDR-1R. 

I’m thinking of returning the HP50 and ordering the P7 from my store. I’d like to give AKG 545 a whirl (at $126) and I get 70% off V-MODA offerings but I should order no more than one pair, lest I get fired. The Sony MDR-7520 and Beyerdynamic DT770 32ohm have piqued my interest but I get a discount on neither. 

Sorry for the long post, did not intend for it to be this long. I had a lot to say though. If you have any questions, I’ll do my best to answer. Thanks for affording me your attention. 

I went through almost the same process, with the same contenders (except for the KEFs) and ended up with the P7. I had auditioned the P7 prior to all the others but never liked them till I bought them. After much burn in, they just clicked.

The only other portable can that I use more than my P7s are my thinksound on1's. But yeah, went through the Momentum-HP50 route and returned them all after a few weeks each. Good luck and hope you find one you really like!

Aug 10, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #2,393 of 4,373
No problem guys, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I had been meaning to share my impressions for a while. 

My MDR-1Rs are not the Mk2s but I heard, correct me if I am mistaken, that there is no difference SQ-wise between them and what I have. 

I think will buy my own pair of P7s through my store. When I was in the Apple Store reluctantly returning the P7s I auditioned, I cursorily gave many of the headphones on hand a listen. I walked up to a decidedly Bowers & Wilkins looking headphone. I said to myself, “this must be the P3.” To my surprise, it was the P5. The P7 absolutely dwarfs the P5. I wasn’t particularly impressed with the P5 either. It didn’t sound especially good and it lacked the air of substantiality the P7 bears. I feel the P7 is, at last, Bowers and Wilkins apotheosis of their reputed loud speaker experience in a headphone — at least to the extent a closed back can for under $500 could emulate the experience. 

I work with a former sound engineer — who, in the early 80s, recorded some of Violent Femmes’ early work. Since I’ve become interested in headphones, I’ve sought his discernment and even brought the headphones into work to get his take. A month ago, I brought in the HD598s and played him Psycho Killer from the album The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads, a live version of the song he is very familiar with. He exclaimed how accurate the HD598s were and how faithfully they reproduced an accompanying guitar in the right ear at one point in the song, which allegedly more mortal headphones scuffle with.

Two weeks or so later, I brought in the NAD HP50s and the B&W P7s in. I played him the same track. First up was the the HP50s. I saw him grinning and pointing to his right ear around the time that guitar bit was playing. Once he removed the headphones he said, “there’s nothing wrong with the NADs!”

He then tried the B&Ws and afterwards questioned who the second guitarist was? At first, I thought it was a fault of the headphone but a laugh betrayed that he meant the headphones were so good that he was picking up details in the song he had never heard.

Aug 10, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #2,394 of 4,373
I went through roughly the same path.  I tried most of the same headphones and every time found they couldn't better the P7's I bought last November.  There were a few I thought "Man, these sound really good!"  Then I'd put my P7's back on and smile.  There is just something about them.  I don't find their portability to be that bad.  I carry them back and forth to work daily.  I did pick up the "Casebudi" case from Amazon.  The size is made for the Beats Studios.  The P7's need to be fully compressed and you do need to push them into the case a little, but then the case zips up fine and I feel very comfortable transporting them in a hard shell case.

Aug 11, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #2,396 of 4,373
  So does anyone else know if anyone has done a summary like op did? it would be helpful since I'm looking for closed over the ear headphones for home.

Not that I know of, but try innerfidelity. 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed

Tyll is always spot on with his reviews tbh

Aug 11, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #2,398 of 4,373
Hey, MacedonianHero,

I own a bunch of these headcans you've reviewed here and I can totally relate to you - cool bru bra - you've nailed these suckers down -hard :)

This is a great informative collection of headcan reviews that covers the nitty gritty in a down to earth but entertaining read for sure - thanks for taking the time to put this collection together, it's clear that you take time and pride in giving your honest appraisal of each headphone you review which provides a great point of reference for all to read up on any of these cans should anyone be considering any one one of them.

Respect :cool:

Aug 12, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #2,399 of 4,373
Hey, MacedonianHero,

I own a bunch of these headcans you've reviewed here and I can totally relate to you - cool bru bra - you've nailed these suckers down -hard :)

This is a great informative collection of headcan reviews that covers the nitty gritty in a down to earth but entertaining read for sure - thanks for taking the time to put this collection together, it's clear that you take time and pride in giving your honest appraisal of each headphone you review which provides a great point of reference for all to read up on any of these cans should anyone be considering any one one of them.

Respect :cool:

Thanks. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back