Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Aug 17, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #2,416 of 4,373
If you  olny buy one in the list,which one? Why?
beyersmile.png

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #2,418 of 4,373
  If you  olny buy one in the list,which one? Why?
beyersmile.png

The biggest question I would ask is the primary way you are going to use them, on the go or home? Also what do you plan to use as a source?

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #2,420 of 4,373
FWIW, here's my impressions of the solo2 made on 2nd June:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/721436/beats/45#post_10600004
smily_headphones1.gif

Hope to read your impressions soon bro
cool.gif

I am even tempted to try the new sound of Beats. As you may have noticed I frequently tell the haters to stop mindlessly bashing Beats as from many experienced listener accounts, new Beats are actually pretty darn good. Not sure if build quality has also improved but I have always admired their styling. Don't care what the haters say, they look good. I have stopped people just to tell them their Beats look sick. I mean come on, some of those colour combinations are just nice.

Aug 17, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #2,421 of 4,373

I am even tempted to try the new sound of Beats. As you may have noticed I frequently tell the haters to stop mindlessly bashing Beats as from many experienced listener accounts, new Beats are actually pretty darn good. Not sure if build quality has also improved but I have always admired their styling. Don't care what the haters say, they look good. I have stopped people just to tell them their Beats look sick. I mean come on, some of those colour combinations are just nice.

That's what I thought of the new Beats Studios and this year's Executives. The Executives from last year had a horribly loud hiss that is thankfully gone. They're not ground breaking, but moving in the right direction IMO.

Aug 17, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #2,422 of 4,373
  That's what I thought of the new Beats Studios and this year's Executives. The Executives from last year had a horribly loud hiss that is thankfully gone. They're not ground breaking, but moving in the right direction IMO.

Good to hear that another experienced head-fier has an open mind. I have been in Beats bashing threads listening to people savage Beats and then when you ask them have you heard or even owned new Beats so often they admit they heard Beats from back in the day and never owned them, likely formed snap opinions after a few minutes listening (which I know can be enough time, but you know what I mean) to a buddies Beats. Anyway, for me, I try to keep an open mind and open ear that way I don't miss out on a sound signature I might like simply due to bias.

Aug 18, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #2,425 of 4,373
I stopped by Best Buy on the way home and picked up some Solo2's. Give me a couple of days and I will try to do a quick compare to the T51p's and the XS. I know the XS took a couple of days before I truly appreciated their sound. I will say I wanted the black but after seeing how fingerprint smeared they were in the store I decided against it. I went with the grey and I will tell you the shade of grey is not for me. If I decide to keep them I will swap for a different color, it is a light bluey grey.

Aug 18, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #2,426 of 4,373
I stopped by Best Buy on the way home and picked up some Solo2's. Give me a couple of days and I will try to do a quick compare to the T51p's and the XS. I know the XS took a couple of days before I truly appreciated their sound. I will say I wanted the black but after seeing how fingerprint smeared they were in the store I decided against it. I went with the grey and I will tell you the shade of grey is not for me. If I decide to keep them I will swap for a different color, it is a light bluey grey.

Please keep us posted on your thoughts of the Solo2's.

Aug 18, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #2,427 of 4,373
  just ..uh..phone,taking the bus.

Then I'd assume you're looking for portability, noise isolation and sound quality. I'd recommend the following (in no particular order):

without Noise Cancelling:
NAD HP50
beyer T51p

w/ Noise Cancelling:
Bose QC15
Sony MDR-10RNC

Aug 18, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #2,428 of 4,373
  Please keep us posted on your thoughts of the Solo2's.

Will do! I forgot to mention I recently had and returned the Momentum On Ears as well I will throw a couple of thoughts on all 4. When I have time I can compare all aspects but SQ, because I want to be fair.

Packaging/Accessories  -             1)XS - awesome cable,if ordered direct 2nd set of shields and extra audio only cable
                                        Tie     2)Solo2/Momentum On Ear
                                                 3)T51p's - Bla               

Build Quality -                            1)XS - Build very sturdy, Kevlar protected cables, backed up with great warranty
                                                 2)Solo2
                                                 3)Momentum On Ear
                                                 4)T51p's - For home use only for me

Comfort -                                   1)XS/T51p's - Both excellent for the long haul
                                                 2)Solo2
                                                 3)Momentum On Ear - Same issue I had with Over Ear version, almost instant pain

Isolation -                                  1)T51p's - WOW  they don't look like they would isolate but boy do they for an On Ear
                                                 2)Solo2
                                                 3)Momentum On Ear
                                                 4)XS - Why? Val figure it out...the biggest criticism I have with these

Portabilty -                                 1)XS - A++++
                                                 2)Solo2
                                                 3)Momentum On Ear
                                                 4)T51p's

I would say that I am not too concerned about looks and it is a matter of opinion....my preference would be Momentum On Ear

Initial sound impressions after 2.5 hours...The best sounding Beats I have heard. Still bassy and I am hoping that the veil I am hearing may clear a little with my ears adjusting to the signature. I can't remember all of the hp's at the 2.5 hours listening point, but I do remember putting the T51p's on and thinking wow. The XS clearly improved with more listening.

Just some initial thoughts so I may contradict myself with more listening. I know folks wanted some thoughts.  I have also had the HP50 and the sound was the best they were not so portable(to me) and while looks are not so important, these were just goofy looking.

Aug 19, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #2,430 of 4,373
I had the DT1350 but don't remember much of the sound anymore. The Alu is definitely more comfortable and isn't fit dependable at all, atleast the position doesn't alter the sound.
The Sennheiser has the better bass extension and the basspunch is really amazing. Soundstage a bit bigger. The DT1350 might sound a bit more accurate but clinical, the Alu on the other hand sounds really fun due to the bass and overall balance. The bass is really amazain, you have to hear it yourself =)
I think detail is about the same I think, atleast I can say for sure that it's better than the original HD25.

OP should really consider testing the HD25Alu, would surely shoot to the top 5 atleast on your list.
But I admit, tastes can be different. Though it's hard to hate the Sennheiser =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back