Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Feb 15, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #1,652 of 4,373
yes, I can see a "Right Said Fred"  thing going on with V-modas on the catwalk.

If you don't know who Right Said is ....this will frighten you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39YUXIKrOFk

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #1,654 of 4,373
  The sony 7520 IMO looks like a big piece of crap on and off the head. It definitely gives the HP50 a run for its uglyness.

Do you guys spend all day looking in the mirror while you listen to music? Sheesh....

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #1,655 of 4,373
The sony 7520 IMO looks like a big piece of crap on and off the head. It definitely gives the HP50 a run for its uglyness.

Not has bad has these
4051eba1_ASIANBASSCAPTION.jpeg
I own the 7520 and I don't really care about useless comment like this. They sound very good that is all it matters

Feb 15, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #1,656 of 4,373
  After reading through all this, i am stuck deciding between:

NAD Viso hp50
B&O H6
Sennheiser HD 8 DJ

the hp50 and H6 scored highest in Bass, Mids, Treble, and Imaging. I dont care about comfort or style, only sound.
If I will be using these to both produce (monitor/mix) and listen to EDM, Rock, Metal, Hardcore, and Folk which would be the best choice? 

I'd like to get one that is closest to a bass effect similar to the Dre Beats Studios 2013/exec where you feel immersed in the sound rather than just hearing the bass notes,  so it seems like I should like the hp50 or HD 8 DJ...but the H6 was scored with a better sound stage so I'm not sure.

Please let me know if you have any input!

Based on your comments, between the 3, I'd go with the HP50s.
That's encouraging coming from you. Any similarities to the HP50, or totally different sound signatures?

Quite different actually.

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #1,657 of 4,373
Since my last post I've read a ton of reviews and now I have it narrowed down to:

NAD Viso hp50
Thinksound On1.
Sony 7520 
P7
Focal Spirit Pro

All have a ton of good reviews and recommendations. Sound Quality-wise, are there any on that list that stick out above the others?

Quote:
  Think for a moment if you are creating tracks with a headphone that is bassy.  You adjust your eq and recording to have it sound good through your headphones.  Only they are way bassy and when you finalize your mastering and get it down to a format that you can share with friends or a recording company and they listen they will may say something like  "Nice but where is the bass?"  Amongst other things, you want a headphone to be as neutral as possible if you are going to use it to mix or monitor recording of tracks.

they are the aforementioned Sony 7520 and the Focal Spirit Professional.  Good luck!

That is definitely understandable, but I also agree with this:
"Studio monitor speakers are almost never as flat in bass (at least the 8 inch ones I have heard) as these flat bass hp's are. So why do people like to mix bass on flat hp's.They should be used to check the rest of the FR without interference of the bass<-----That is where I can understand a flat/weak bass for professional use. But not to mix the bass with. Ultimately its about knowing your gear so you can mix well on a lot of gear. But what most people call flat is FLAT OUT WEAK…." -Grizzlybeast

So I'm worried about picking one of those 5 I listed and allthough accurate, the bass or sound still coming off as "weak". I'm leaning closer towards the hp50 or Sony 7520..I couldn't find many comparisons between that and the Spirit Pro (Also heard the spirit pro were "boring") and I haven't heard much about the Thinksound On1 either.And from what I read the P7 is the worst sound quality out of all those (I think..) 

I haven't heard any of these. I'm hoping to finally decide by tomorrow though cause my 30 day return period on the HD 25 1 is is almost up.

Feb 16, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #1,658 of 4,373
I personally think both look pretty strange. For me it's the H6 or P7 (despite that P7 sticks out a bit). The beats kind of make the wearer look a little like a tool and the v-moda style isn't for me.

Agreed, the H6s and the P7s are also the prettiest in my eyes. The Momentums, M500s and MDR-1R also look good to me but I don't care for the design of any of the others on the list (despite what people are saying though, the HP50s actually look quite nice before you put them on your head XD).

I know that sound more important but if I am going to send $400+ on an item I would like it to appeal to my other senses as well. Some products are so poorly made for the price that it doesn't matter how good they sound (build quality and design are closely related). Buying a piece of audio equipment solely for its looks though is what I would consider being superficial. 

Feb 16, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #1,659 of 4,373
  Well I know some headphones are described as bass-light, others say they have a bit of bass boost but it doesn't disturb the mids. I've been searching these forums for probably an accumulative total of 10-15 hours or so this week trying to find a good pair to buy in the 300-400$ range. I narrowed it  down to:

out of the Viso Hp 50, B&O H6, Sennheiser 595, HD8 DJ and any similar headphone, and I guess I want to know which of these keeps great sound quality without being bass-light. If theres some rumble with the bass than I can really enjoy EDM and dub step, but I still want to be able to hear rock and folk without the bass drowning it out..From what I read the HP 50 can do this, but I'd like to hear about the 595 or HD8 DJ. Or any other similar headphone that fits these needs.

in short: A good monitor/mixing/listening headphone with the clearest highs, mids, trebble, big soundstage, but also the most bass quantity.

On your shortlist you also mix open and closed headphones, I guess you have no priority which ones as long as they do the job. For monitoring and mixing only electrodynamic headphones will do; as a rule the planar magnetic headphones have 'rolled off' [reduced] treble.

Monitoring and mixing requires headphones with as balanced frequency response as possible, they should have flatline frequency response. Tuning the headphones' driver for a desired, as flat as possible, FR line / curve is an art of the possible because, at the current state of technology, a driver's diaphragm cannot generate acoustic waves of equal strength down from sub-bass to upper high frequencies. But the very few top models come close to achieving this. Generally, headphones can fully present only two out of the three frequencies bands and compromises have to be made. These compromises are of three kinds : 
1 - weak sub-bass and reduced [rolled off] bass 
2 - reduced [recessed] part of middle frequencies 
3 - reduced /declining [rolled off] treble.
A diaphragm can either produce good middle and high frequencies and weak bass or good middle and low frequencies and weak treble. The third tuning is having a good bass and treble and sacrificing the middle part. 

What is required for mixing and monitoring are headphones with forward mids and fully present treble and having good resolution. Ideally the treble should be at the edge but not shrill, without it you will not pick up all recording faults and inaccuracies. 
These requirements eliminate all "U or V shaped" headphones that have recessed middle frequencies and headphones with rolled off treble.
The answer to the problem of bass is called the 'bass knob' of an amplifier. It is possible to find headphones with balanced FR and good treble and with decent sounding bass that becomes fully acceptable when boosted. You can boost headphones' bass, you can boost the treble only to a degree and the middle frequencies you cannot at all.
That said, four, to my knowledge, headphones at the edge of technology manage to solve, to a good degree, the problem the electrodynamic headphones have with the full presentation of all three frequency bands. Since they are at the top of the electrodynamics they cost a lot, their solution of the problem costs a lot. All four have good to very good bass, very good to excellent middle frequencies and good to very good treble. All four have balanced frequency bands with forward mids. These headphones are an option for you.
- Beyerdynamic T1 [those after the serial number around 3650]
- Sennheiser HD800 [only those manufactured during 2013 and after]
- AKG K812
- Audio Technica W3000ANV [very balanced but not perfect for monitoring, for listening only, the middle frequencies tones are not reference bare, they have slight velvet shade of sound to them]
Of these W3000ANV have the biggest volume of  bass, very good to my ears, T1 have better bass than HD800 and also better tonality for listening to music for pleasure and HD800 are superior in providing detail and resolution. So HD800are a better option for mixing and mastering and T1 a better option for listening to music. I have not heard the new K812 but allegedly it sounds more dry than T1 but having a better resolution. An advantage of these top models is them having 50 to 56 mm size drivers.
Regarding the lower priced headphones, I have not heard some that are mentioned on this thread and you will have to rely on an advice of others. My hunch is that if the monitoring and mixing requirements are really important to you then B&O H6 would be the best fit. Make an effort, somehow, even if you were to buy and return them, try them with an amplifier and boost the bass, see if it is adequate. Their advantage is they can be used as portable headphones, just get a portable amplifier that has a bass boost knob. I know of three/four. Lisa L3, Vorzuge Duo [bass a bit over the top when boosted], Rx Mk3-B and the Continental V3 [does not have a bass knob but the amplified signal has bass boosted by about 5dB on average which is about two clicks up].
If you will not like them try headphones with bigger drivers; as a rule the bigger the driver the better the bass. H6 driver is of 40 mm size. Next try headphones with 50 mm drivers. An often forgotten option are Audio Technica A900X / A900X LTD closed headphones with front positioned mids and good treble [a bit over the top on shrill soundtracks] and good bass. Their driver size is 53 mm and their value for money is great. 
Another option would be AKG K551 with 50 mm driver, but the treble of these closed headphones is a bit over-enthusiastic on some tracks, not a piece of cake to many, they have to be auditioned.
Good luck.

Mea Culpa ! Edit and error correction - this sentence is removed :
P.S. Sony 7520 would be an utter failure as monitoring and mixing headphones, not good even for mixing drinks.
Trying to do three activities at the same time leads sooner or later to an error. Guys, do not try to watch olympic ice hockey and eat yesterday's dinner and type comments for head-fi at the same time, the wires of your memory banks will get crossed. The talk was about Sony 7520 and I meant Sony XB700. They would really be lousy mixing and monitoring headphones.

Feb 16, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #1,660 of 4,373
I just sale my mikros. It's a very good phone, but as I said before it do not has fun factor and bass is not enough for me. All haters ands lover of AT woodies, has one comment in common. AT woodies are not good in bass region at all. But compare to Mikros my esw11ltd and w1000 do it better. Now I just order W5000, so I have to let mikros go. I will miss its good tonal balance and very fine details.

Quote:

I won't comment about you liking the M500 (except for "yeah baby"! lol).

But regarding the esw11's, you might be interested in this:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/633514/martin-logan-mikros-90-on-ear-headphones/1050#post_10251997

Feb 16, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #1,661 of 4,373
I just sale my mikros. It's a very good phone, but as I said before it do not has fun factor and bass is not enough for me. All haters ands lover of AT woodies, has one comment in common. AT woodies are not good in bass region at all. But compare to Mikros my esw11ltd and w1000 do it better. Now I just order W5000, so I have to let mikros go. I will miss its good tonal balance and very fine details.

Good luck in your quest!

Feb 16, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #1,662 of 4,373
  -The third tuning is having a good bass and treble and sacrificing the middle part. 

P.S. Sony 7520 would be an utter failure as monitoring and mixing headphones, not good even for mixing drinks.
Good luck.

Thanks for such a long and detailed response, I definitely learned a lot about what's needed for being a good mixer. But I also should have mentioned my budget is $400 and under, so I can't go with any of the ones you listed. I'l take your word for it not to get the Sonys though. So far it's down to NAD Viso hp50, Thinksound On1., and Focal Spirit Pro. I'm leaning towards Hp50 since it's had the most recommendations and still researching the other two. I had the P7 on the list too but I haven't heard many good things about it compared to the others.

Feb 17, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #1,663 of 4,373
Headphones-wise, My favorites (in order of best and what I own now) are the Fidelio X1, ThinkSound On1, KEF M500, Onkyo HF-300, and WS99. . 
beerchug.gif

Eric, how would you compare the Onkyo's and the ThinkSounds? Are the TS worth 100 dollars more than the Onkyos? 

I loved the Onkyos sound signature but the comfort wasn't great and they could have used a little bigger soundstage

Feb 17, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #1,664 of 4,373
Yeah I am also wondering about the Thinksounds.. do they sound better than HP50s? My next purchase will either be the Thinksound On1, HP50, or P7 based on which sounds the best but it's hard to find a lot of comparisons.

Feb 17, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #1,665 of 4,373
  Yeah I am also wondering about the Thinksounds.. do they sound better than HP50s? My next purchase will either be the Thinksound On1, HP50, or P7 based on which sounds the best but it's hard to find a lot of comparisons.

I've heard the HP50s. Don't like it. I have the On1 now which I do like. This is coming from a current SigPro user.

The On1 is comfortable and light with a SQ I prefer. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back