Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Feb 5, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #1,471 of 4,373
MH — thanks so much for putting in all of this effort. It is incredibly appreciated.

I have a question regarding your reviews of the H6 and P7. Based on your scoring of these two headphones, it would seem that the H6 should be ranked above the P7. The H6 scored better in all three frequencies and in imaging—four aspects that one would think are the most important for a headphone (and most of the other sections are pretty even). Obviously, a recommendation is more holistic/qualitative than just summing up numbers, so I was hoping you could shed some light on what specifically made you give the P7 a better rank than the H6. I looked through your reviews, but there is not much direct comparison between the two. I suppose that's the nature of the beast when headphones are reviewed at different times.

Again, thanks so much for all of these reviews.

Feb 5, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #1,473 of 4,373
The B & O Beoplay H6 really do have a surprisingly HD800-like tonal balance. Agreed with the imaging, openness and soundstage comments. Especially on the midrange, very open and natural vocals for a closed portable. Can't understand Tyll's comments about a withdrawn midrange, even considering their measurements they look near identical to the Senn Amperior and I don't see complaints about withdrawn mids on those (but they don't sound like them, that's for sure).

They have enough bass weight for listening in quiet spaces for sure, but a portable for outdoor use needs greater than neutral bass response, while preferably retaining that speed and tautness, to counteract the ambient noise. With EQ, they should be OK.

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #1,474 of 4,373
OK. Coolguyalex. The ML sounds nothing like you described. The last thing I'd call them is laid back; in fact it's quite a forward sound. They are entirely recording dependent, so listening to bad recordings isn't an option. The ML is actually MUCH better at really everything than those other two. Bass, midrange, treble, detail, etc, all much more coherent.

Was the memory foam not in the right place. YOU MUST check the pads. The difference in sound can be huge. You must also check the fit. I absolutely HATED the Mikros out of the box and now they're my favorites, even without an amp.

How can you say the ML sounds nothing like the way he described them? If that is how he hears it, then that's how he hears it. You may hear it differently though.

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #1,475 of 4,373
OK. Coolguyalex. The ML sounds nothing like you described. The last thing I'd call them is laid back; in fact it's quite a forward sound. They are entirely recording dependent, so listening to bad recordings isn't an option. The ML is actually MUCH better at really everything than those other two. Bass, midrange, treble, detail, etc, all much more coherent.

Was the memory foam not in the right place. YOU MUST check the pads. The difference in sound can be huge. You must also check the fit. I absolutely HATED the Mikros out of the box and now they're my favorites, even without an amp.

Hey, well I'm still very new to articulating sounds so go easy on me 
tongue.gif

The MLs were used straight out of the box so maybe that had a lot to do with my impressions (as you mentioned). I did use high quality recordings/files though (mostly ALAC/320kbps). Also, the sound isn't the only factor here. Overall, I much preferred the HP50s (and the H6s) due to a combination of fit/comfort, build quality, aesthetics and of course sound (perhaps I judged them too harshly in this area). Even still, the fact that I couldn't get a good fit (I really tried) means that my impressions are based on the best fit that was possible for me. So you know, we're all going to hear something different unfortunately.

Glad you found something that works well for you :)

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #1,476 of 4,373
  I wonder how the new Focals fit into these lists.  :)  The Pro and the Classic.

There's some whispers of it hitting the Innerfidelity WoF, so probably pretty well. I'm sure they'll be welcomed additions to this comparison at some point.

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #1,477 of 4,373
  The B & O Beoplay H6 really do have a surprisingly HD800-like tonal balance. Agreed with the imaging, openness and soundstage comments. Especially on the midrange, very open and natural vocals for a closed portable. Can't understand Tyll's comments about a withdrawn midrange, even considering their measurements they look near identical to the Senn Amperior and I don't see complaints about withdrawn mids on those (but they don't sound like them, that's for sure).

They have enough bass weight for listening in quiet spaces for sure, but a portable for outdoor use needs greater than neutral bass response, while preferably retaining that speed and tautness, to counteract the ambient noise. With EQ, they should be OK.

Exactly. For $399, the H6 is a steal.

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #1,478 of 4,373
Sadly, they are rather less good value in the UK, priced at £329 in most retailers. Well, they more than justify their price compared to some of the stinkers I've heard lately such as the B & W P7 @ £320.

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #1,479 of 4,373

Hey, well I'm still very new to articulating sounds so go easy on me 
tongue.gif

The MLs were used straight out of the box so maybe that had a lot to do with my impressions (as you mentioned). I did use high quality recordings/files though (mostly ALAC/320kbps). Also, the sound isn't the only factor here. Overall, I much preferred the HP50s (and the H6s) due to a combination of fit/comfort, build quality, aesthetics and of course sound (perhaps I judged them too harshly in this area). Even still, the fact that I couldn't get a good fit (I really tried) means that my impressions are based on the best fit that was possible for me. So you know, we're all going to hear something different unfortunately.

Glad you found something that works well for you :)

I have just been smitten by the ML's as well so I understand Trunks' concern.  On my first listen however my thoughts would have matched yours however after fiddling with the positioning, or maybe some voodoo spell the ML's have cast I now see why so many are in love with these!

Feb 5, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #1,481 of 4,373
You should also take a look at the Philips Fidelio L2 when it comes out MH, Headfonia's review definitely makes it look great.

Feb 5, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #1,482 of 4,373
  MH — thanks so much for putting in all of this effort. It is incredibly appreciated.

I have a question regarding your reviews of the H6 and P7. Based on your scoring of these two headphones, it would seem that the H6 should be ranked above the P7. The H6 scored better in all three frequencies and in imaging—four aspects that one would think are the most important for a headphone (and most of the other sections are pretty even). Obviously, a recommendation is more holistic/qualitative than just summing up numbers, so I was hoping you could shed some light on what specifically made you give the P7 a better rank than the H6. I looked through your reviews, but there is not much direct comparison between the two. I suppose that's the nature of the beast when headphones are reviewed at different times.

I second that, mathematically speaking the H6 are above the P7 on your scale. I also second the thanks for doing the hunting for many of us.

Feb 5, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #1,483 of 4,373

I think when you put it altogether (bass/mids/treble, imaging, PRaT, detail, etc...) the P7's just edge out the H6s for me.

Agreed here...they are very special headphones. Add an aftermarket carrying case from ebay and they are outstanding portable headphones!

In other news, I've had two fellow Canuck Head-fiers contact me about letting me hear their Martin Logan Mikros (thanks Beagle) and K545s (thanks dweaver)! Really appreciated! 
beerchug.gif

So it looks like a few new headphones to add to the list.

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #1,485 of 4,373
  MH, which specific case are you using for the H6s?

I bought this one:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/251425148490?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Works very well and only about $10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back