Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Feb 5, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #1,486 of 4,373
The
I think when you put it altogether (bass/mids/treble, imaging, PRaT, detail, etc...) the P7's just edge out the H6s for me.
Agreed here...they are very special headphones. Add an aftermarket carrying case from ebay and they are outstanding portable headphones!

In other news, I've had two fellow Canuck Head-fiers contact me about letting me hear their Martin Logan Mikros (thanks Beagle) and K545s (thanks dweaver)! Really appreciated! :beerchug:

So it looks like a few new headphones to add to the list.

The H6 are $399 while the Senn 1520 are $499. Question is do you or anyone think the H6 is worth the price considering its within striking distance of other phones like the one I just mentioned?

Feb 5, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #1,487 of 4,373
The
The H6 are $399 while the Senn 1520 are $499. Question is do you or anyone think the H6 is worth the price considering its within striking distance of other phones like the one I just mentioned?

If the P7s are worth $400, then so are the H6s. I however got them in a local deal brand new for quite a bit less.

Feb 5, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #1,489 of 4,373
    p5s are a good deal also there is plenty of treble from my point of view

They are very good. But don't isolate much at all and I do have issues with their overly rolled off treble.

Feb 5, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #1,490 of 4,373
They are very good. But don't isolate much at all and I do have issues with their overly rolled off treble.

I've actually felt that the P5 isolated really well. Something about the concave shape of the cups sealing the opening of the ear. Of course, this may be ear-dependent. I will say though that they do slide around quite a bit if you move your head quite a bit. In that sense, I can see them not isolating much.

Feb 6, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #1,491 of 4,373
I've actually felt that the P5 isolated really well. Something about the concave shape of the cups sealing the opening of the ear. Of course, this may be ear-dependent. I will say though that they do slide around quite a bit if you move your head quite a bit. In that sense, I can see them not isolating much.

Could be, but on ears are typically pretty bad at isolation. That or we have different standards for this too ?

Feb 6, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #1,492 of 4,373
Well, I picked up the H6s based on basically everything I've read...they are quite similar to the K545s in that the ear pads just aren't good enough for me.  I cannot get a decent seal when I have my glasses on for the life of me.  It hasn't been a problem with most other headphones I've tried recently (WS99s, M100s, L1s, Momentums, Beats Studio 2013, Master Tracks, etc.).  But both the 545 and the H6 have the perfect amount of bass for my liking...BUT...only when I am not wearing my glasses or if I push down on the ear cups while I'm listening.  What a damn disappointment as the sound sig of the H6 is quite similar to the 545 and I LOVE it.

That said, after trying both...there's no way the H6 is $150 better than the 545...the 545 is just that good.  MH, you're gonna be impressed w/ it when you receive it.

Feb 6, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #1,494 of 4,373
  Any idea when?

(Been looking for it from time to time since the Headfonia review,
but nary a sign or mention of it anywhere from what I can see...)

They've been available here in the Netherlands for months and I tested them. They sound quite good, I just didn't find them comfortable enough as the earcups were too small for my ears.

Also, keep in mind they're semi-open/closed. So sound will leak, and it will not isolate you that well from outside noise.

Feb 6, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #1,495 of 4,373

MH, if you were only considering sound quality (i.e. not looks, comfort, etc), and you couldn't have a dedicated desktop rig (i.e. your home rig and portable rig had to be one and the same), what would you go for? How does something like the T5p stack up against these more modestly priced phones? Have you heard many high-end universal or custom IEMs, and how do you think they compare? What would be you ultimate portable?

Feb 6, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #1,496 of 4,373
The

What is a Senn 1520?

Feb 6, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #1,498 of 4,373
Well fellas, I should have the HP50 on my ears sometime tomorrow. I am really a fan of all things B&W (speakers-wise since the Nautilus 804s have been my home speakers for about 15 years), but MH's raving about the HP50 got me more curious. It seems to be on the same level at the P7 but $100 cheaper. So I said to myself, why not try it? Now, I'm interesting soul when it comes to sound signatures, because I see my see myself as an "audiophile basshead." Some say that doesn't exist, but I say we are here. I don't like an abundance of bass just for the sake of having goo-gobs of it, but I prefer my bass and mids to be stronger than my highs. Yet, strangely enough, I have enjoyed immensely the RE-400, RE-262, and W4. And I have the Fostex TE-05 and FAD Heaven V on the way to me now from Japan.

Headphones-wise, My favorites (in order of best and what I own now) are the Fidelio X1, ThinkSound On1, KEF M500, Onkyo HF-300, and WS99. All of those have good bass and mids. I have a feeling the HP50 might be a bit bass-lite compared to those, but I think I can deal with it as long as the bass is in there. I'm really more curious about the how the HP50 will compete against the M500. If I think the NAD is better than the KEF, then I just might sell my M500. MH kudos to you for getting me interested in the HP50. 
beerchug.gif

Feb 6, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #1,500 of 4,373
Hah ericp, we share similar tastes. However, the Martin Logan Mikros 90 is superior to those in many areas.

Might be, Trunks, but I need "some" bass. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back