Comparison/Review: AIAIAI TMA-1 vs. Audio Technica ATH-M50 (Shure SRH840 on the side)
Feb 18, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #16 of 44

Quote:
Interesting review, each one of them have interesting aspects. 

Would you consider the TMA-1's as a nice upgrade over the M50's? 

Depends how long you usually use your headphones for, how portable you need them to be, and what genres you like.

If you want a vague generalization, check the scores I just posted. Be sure to read the review as well though.

Feb 19, 2011 at 7:08 AM Post #19 of 44
A very well written review. Well done.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #22 of 44

Quote:
Cheers for the comparison pic, so would you recommend the M50's for walking around? Or is it really edging to the stupidly-large-to-be-used-as-a-portable-headphone range? Haha

Not at all, I think it's great as a portable, it's simply not made for it. It was made as a Studio phone, works great as an all around set of cans.

You can count on that because of it's swiveling cups making it easy to wear around the neck.

Feb 22, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #23 of 44
UPDATE:

A/B'ing the TMA-1's against the M50's through two computers, TMA-1's are EQ'd as usual. M50's are at 25 hours burn in. (Let me know if I should expect much more change from 25 hours to 50.)

Sorry about the cr*p pics, using an old camera.

The TMA-1's are slightly darker, even with EQ'ing, but they do have the edge in bass. The bass is slightly punchier & deeper on the TMA-1's, compared to the M50's. The M50's have a slightly larger sound stage, and the bass hits almost as hard, they also have more speed for rock, metal, and other genres which ask for it. The M50's bass hits a bit more loosely compared to the TMA-1's, this is more noticeable in Club and Techno Genres, but it still has a good punch.

I recommend the M50's if you like faster genres like rock, and for thing's like classical as well. They are more balanced than the TMA-1's and sound less muffled than the TMA-1's in these areas. The bass, testing them both side-by-side, is slightly different. With a slight advantage in punch and extension going to the TMA-1's. It still sounds amazing with bass centered music, but simply not as amazing as the TMA-1's.

I recommend the TMA-1's if you listen to more house, club, techno, and electronic music, because the bass and forward presentation make these sound like a dream. This is not to say they sound bad in other genres at all, they simply are not the "best" in other genres, but in the ones mentioned above, they preform amazingly. Even in genres like rock, they make the kick drums, kick drums.

Feb 22, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #25 of 44
I'd generally agree, but I don't the TMA-1s are too dark for rock especially with EQ. I actually didn't like the M50s as much as the TMA-1s, but that may be because I am accustomed to a darker sound signature. I tend to think, for my listening preference Curley hit it more on target. That doesn't mean that you are incorrect on anything, as again I'd generally agree. Perhaps it is how I EQed it, or that I am used to the sig, but I really couldn't get into the sound of the M50s. That said, I still think the M50 is a safer choice because it has a more neutral sig than the TMA-1s. I really think you need to like the sound on the TMA-1. 

Feb 22, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #26 of 44

Quote:
I'd generally agree, but I don't the TMA-1s are too dark for rock especially with EQ. I actually didn't like the M50s as much as the TMA-1s, but that may be because I am accustomed to a darker sound signature. I tend to think, for my listening preference Curley hit it more on target. That doesn't mean that you are incorrect on anything, as again I'd generally agree. Perhaps it is how I EQed it, or that I am used to the sig, but I really couldn't get into the sound of the M50s. That said, I still think the M50 is a safer choice because it has a more neutral sig than the TMA-1s. I really think you need to like the sound on the TMA-1. 

Yeah, I really prefer the TMA-1's on a lot of songs, and the M50's on others. It all depends on what you want and what you need, as most people don't want to buy both. With EQ, they don't sound bad on rock at all, just still not quite as good as the M50's do un-EQ'd.

Aug 24, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #28 of 44
nice review.  I think i'll get the m50's.  My first set cans wish me luck :).  Also does anyone know where I can get these for the cheapest price?

Yes, M50 is a good choice for a new audiophile. Buy from Amazon so you don't have to worry about fakes. Stay away from shady sites selling them for under $100 as they are most likely fake. Fakes look identical to the real thing but sound much worse and have poorer build quality. I did not realize I had a fake until my friend let me try his real ones (I loved it so much I bought them off him on the spot).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back