Comparison/Review: AIAIAI TMA-1 vs. Audio Technica ATH-M50 (Shure SRH840 on the side)
Nov 30, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #31 of 44

Thanks OP for the review!

One real point of difference I've found with the TMA-1's is their lack of a black background when amplified ~ there's noise there,
 on all sorts of amplifiers ranging from the Fiio E9, Burson 160 ~ and it tends to get worse as you move up the amplifier line-up.

Overall clarity in my opinion is pretty woeful, a dark signature is one thing, a grainy dark signature is another and it's
 not positive. Having said that up against the M50 it's probably in ok company ~ it has no business though running with
 a Shure 840 unless you're listening to so-so club recordings and favor bass over a balanced, clear sound.

Ultrasone 580 is a much better club can and the Beyer DT770 with a basic portable amp hits the TMA-1 waaay
 out of the park ~ all for the same or less $money$. 

There's a new version out of the TMA-1's ~ hit the stores here for $330AUD, someone has a very sick sense
 of humor back at AiAiAi

They're called the 'Fool's Gold' Edition 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #32 of 44

Quote:
One real point of difference I've found with the TMA-1's is their lack of a black background when amplifier ~ there's noise there,  on all sorts of amplifiers ranging from the Fiio E9, Burson 160 ~ and it tends to get worse as you move up the amplifier line-up.

Very strange, 'cause when there is a noise problem is that it comes from the amp, not the headphone. Yes, a sensitive headphone ll provide more noise issue, but if the amp doen't provide any noise, the headphone will not, even if the headphone is very sensitive.

For ex: With my H1MPA i have zero noise with HD650 (normal), but some noise with M50. With Auditor, very black background even with a very sensitive headphone like M50...

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #33 of 44

Quote:

Very strange, 'cause when there is a noise problem is that it comes from the amp, not the headphone. Yes, a sensitive headphone ll provide more noise issue, but if the amp doen't provide any noise, the headphone will not, even if the headphone is very sensitive.

For ex: With my H1MPA i have zero noise with HD650 (normal), but some noise with M50. With Auditor, very black background even with a very sensitive headphone like M50...

Yeh I was going to say ~ the M50 does like to exude some background noise (except on my V200)
much like the TMA-1 ~ in all honesty, I really want to try another TMA-1 unit ~ because when I first heard it,
I really did think it was faulty 
frown.gif

It just did not stack up to the price by a long shot, it's understandable to hear that it's directed at DJ's and club lovers
but again ~ why would you pass up a Senn HD-25 II, Ultrasone 580/780 or Beyer DT770 for one of these?!

It's a head scratcher 
blink.gif

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #34 of 44
i am thinking about getting a tma-1 as my travel can, and i already have srh840.
this reviews gives me a lot of insights.

think i am getting it now, since i love listening to club electro music

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #35 of 44

Quote:
Yeh I was going to say ~ the M50 does like to exude some background noise (except on my V200)
much like the TMA-1 ~ in all honesty, I really want to try another TMA-1 unit ~ because when I first heard it,
I really did think it was faulty 
frown.gif

Sincerely, if you have no noise issue with the v200 is that the problem is not the headphone. (if i understand correctly,lol).

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #36 of 44

Quote:

Sincerely, if you have no noise issue with the v200 is that the problem is not the headphone. (if i understand correctly,lol).

End of the day as per the OP's findings and my very own ~ the TMA-1 needs EQ to remotely sound decent in the mids
and treble area ~ it's not a driver with inherent clarity no matter how you look at it, background noise is merely a side
issue ~ the real problem lies in that it is passable as a Mp3 rip club top #40 can but there are other cans that are
better for the same or less money.

I tried it out of my portable player, eliminating the separate amping altogether - yes it still had all that darkened grain.

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #37 of 44
Thanks, i understand better now.

Dec 15, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #39 of 44
I take my TMA-1 everyday to the university (I have 20 minutes from home to there on foot) and and are quite good portable. The isolation could be better, but you can listen to the songs perfectly. They are very strong, I let them in my schoolbag when im in class and last week they felt on the floor in the street, luckily I stopped them with my foot and nothing happened. 
One thing you will notice is that you need a shorter and lighter cable, the TMA-1 one is only for home and studio
Quote:
I was wondering if the tma-1 would be good portable headphones to take to school? thanks 

Dec 15, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #40 of 44
I still think the shure srh840 kills the m50s.

May 24, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #42 of 44
I listen mostly to groups like The Brothers Four, Celtic Woman, Chanticleer, Anuna, The King's Singers, The Irish Tenors, Libera, and the like; and vocalists like Sam Cooke, Aaron Neville, Aiofe, Moya Brennan, Enya, Lisa Kelly, Joan Baez. This thread and other headphone reviews I've read have not mentioned my kind of music. Both TMA-1 and ATH-M50 are described as having good bass, the TMA-1 has a "very good mid-range" but weak treble, and the M-50 is said to have "recessed mids" but is "a good all-rounder." I've asked for general advice under a different heading but if I were to limit my choice to just these two headphones, which one should I go for? Would appreciate other recommendations, but not costing more than $150. Neither can I afford an amp. Thanks loads.

May 24, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #43 of 44
Quote:
I listen mostly to groups like The Brothers Four, Celtic Woman, Chanticleer, Anuna, The King's Singers, The Irish Tenors, Libera, and the like; and vocalists like Sam Cooke, Aaron Neville, Aiofe, Moya Brennan, Enya, Lisa Kelly, Joan Baez. This thread and other headphone reviews I've read have not mentioned my kind of music. Both TMA-1 and ATH-M50 are described as having good bass, the TMA-1 has a "very good mid-range" but weak treble, and the M-50 is said to have "recessed mids" but is "a good all-rounder." I've asked for general advice under a different heading but if I were to limit my choice to just these two headphones, which one should I go for? Would appreciate other recommendations, but not costing more than $150. Neither can I afford an amp. Thanks loads.

If possible, save up for a TMA-1 Studio's, which is being released mid June - it will balance the sound of the TMA-1's, while changing the shape to an around-ear design. If you don't want to wait/save up for them, then go for the M50's - put in the money to shorten the M50 cable if you plan to use it on the go though.

May 24, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #44 of 44
thanks loads for the info re the TMA-1 Studio. hope you're right about them coming out in June and since that's just around the summer corner, I'll wait/save up for them. I do know the reasons for the M50 being a popular headphone and I'm tempted to play it safe and get it, but I think I'll bite the bullet in my upgrading plan and go for a untested new (model-wise) headphone like the TMA-1 Studio which can serve me for the next 3-5 years. meantime, back to my KPPs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back