Comparison of Future Sonics Atrio and EM3?
Sep 17, 2010 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

motie

New Head-Fier
I own a pair of Future Sonics EM3 phones. I love them and think their bass is a thing of beauty. I also own a pair of NuForce NE-7M phones. Their bass is nice, too, but it's not as smooth as that of the EM3 by any means.

My EM3s are getting long in the tooth (I've already repaired the left side, which came apart years ago) so I'm considering upgrading.

I bought some ER-4Ps recently and, while I loved their detail and sparkle, I found that they hurt my ears and I had some pain behind my eyes when using them, even with my Comply Tx100 foamies on them. Their build quality is also awesome and I love the two year warranty and removable cables. But I can't handle the pain and I miss my Future Sonics' bass, so I'm going to send them back to Amazon.com. The ER-4Ps are terrific but I'm coming to grips with the idea that they're not for me.

So I'm planning to get some Atrios. I know they're coming out with a new revision in the next few weeks with a new driver, so I don't expect anyone to comment on the unreleased revision (rev. 3, I believe).

Can anyone compare the sound of the current (rev. 2, I believe) Atrios with with the sound of the EM3s?

Thanks for any help!

Sep 18, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #2 of 3

Quote:
I own a pair of Future Sonics EM3 phones. I love them and think their bass is a thing of beauty. I also own a pair of NuForce NE-7M phones. Their bass is nice, too, but it's not as smooth as that of the EM3 by any means.

My EM3s are getting long in the tooth (I've already repaired the left side, which came apart years ago) so I'm considering upgrading.

I bought some ER-4Ps recently and, while I loved their detail and sparkle, I found that they hurt my ears and I had some pain behind my eyes when using them, even with my Comply Tx100 foamies on them. Their build quality is also awesome and I love the two year warranty and removable cables. But I can't handle the pain and I miss my Future Sonics' bass, so I'm going to send them back to Amazon.com. The ER-4Ps are terrific but I'm coming to grips with the idea that they're not for me.

So I'm planning to get some Atrios. I know they're coming out with a new revision in the next few weeks with a new driver, so I don't expect anyone to comment on the unreleased revision (rev. 3, I believe).

Can anyone compare the sound of the current (rev. 2, I believe) Atrios with with the sound of the EM3s?

Thanks for any help!

You know Future Sonics will give you half off a new pair of Atrios for your old pair of EM3s? They want to keep you as a customer, I guess. It's a neat service. I particularly like how when the Ear Monitor custom goes through a driver upgrade, old customers can send in their customs and get new drivers and cables for $200 rather than having to buy a whole new custom.

I'll do a review of the new Atrios with the Mg7 driver when it comes out (I'll get pair to demo as I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a pair of FS Ear Monitor customs--although I'll demo the JH16 when I get my ear impressions done). Should be in less than a month, but we'll see! All the new Atrios are done and just waiting there, but FS out-sourced the packaging to a firm that promised to make everything environmentally friendly--and those guys are running way behind schedule.

Other than more treble sparkle, the FS rep I talked to said that all FS products have the FS sound signature, so the Atrios should sound like your old EM3s, only better (since the Atrios were basically a revision of the EM3s and now have gone through several driver upgrades and a few changes to improve housing and cable, iirc).

Sep 18, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks, Kunlun. Yep, I'm taking Future Sonics up on their offer to discount the price of Atrios for EM3 owners. $100 for a pair of Atrios is a hard deal to beat.

Does anyone have any experience with both EM3s and Atrios? I'd love to know how they compare, sound-wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back