Comparison HD800 / SR-009
Oct 15, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #16 of 23
Doesnt matter, don't worry...Maybe I didn't understand the meaning of that green smiley. In Spain we say " a picture is better than thousand words" and on spanish forums the green smiley -like that- means irony and sarcasm.

The Spaniards are so...:D

Lol that's hilarious! Usually the Green smile for me means the yellow one, but with a creepy infatuation LOL.

Thomas

Oct 15, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #17 of 23
I got to hear the HD800 at the Cambridge head-fi meeting but don't know what amp was being used, but IMO the 009 is in a different league. I do drive my 009 with the BHSE and my source is the K-01 so I suppose it's not a fair comparison.

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #18 of 23
I got to hear the HD800 at the Cambridge head-fi meeting but don't know what amp was being used, but IMO the 009 is in a different league. I do drive my 009 with the BHSE and my source is the K-01 so I suppose it's not a fair comparison.

That's a lovely setup, and a dream for most of us! LOL

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #19 of 23
Quote:
That's a lovely setup, and a dream for most of us! LOL

In order to have the headphone system l've got and the two headphone amps l'm getting which are paid for, I've had to make sacrifices on a lot of other things I'd like. But I'm very happy with my headphone set up, though I feel the 009 could be better but I'm not mentioning about the problem I have with it anymore.

Oct 15, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #20 of 23
In order to have the headphone system l've got and the two headphone amps l'm getting which are paid for, I've had to make sacrifices on a lot of other things I'd like. But I'm very happy with my headphone set up, though I feel the 009 could be better but I'm not mentioning about the problem I have with it anymore.

I agree, I mean I don't need both of my kidneys right? LOL JK! :D

One day I'll get the Stax 007 or 009 with either Blue Hawaii or Liquid Lightening :cool:

Oct 16, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #21 of 23
When l went to the Cambridge head-fi meeting along with headfier IanG and Andy, l took my 009 + BHSE + iPod. I didn't take my K-01 because not only is it very heavy, but l guess l was apprehensive about what might happen to it. Another reason was because l wanted to show just how good the 009 / BHSE sounded using an iPod. All that listened to that combo were very impressed and a couple that didn't know l was using an iPod, thought l was using an expensive source. While using a source like the K-01 does take SQ to an amazing level, to me with the SQ being very good when using an iPod with the 009/BHSE, proves just how good the BHSE is 
beyersmile.png

P.S. Because this thread is about a comparison between the HD800 / SR-009, l think the only fairer comparison l could do would be between my 009 + BHSE + K-01 and the GS-X when I receive it + the K-01, but because I've no intentions of buying the HD800, I'd have to get hold of one somehow.

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #22 of 23
IMO, the only Sennheiser that can complete with the SR009 is the HE90.  The HD800 is a very good dynamics headphones but will not compete head-on with the SR009.  The only thing that the HD800 is superior to the SR009 is the image placement but that's it.  The SR009 is just much better in my experience.  This conclusion was drawn after I tried the SR009 out of DIY-T2 and I had my HD800 balanced with upgrade cable out Gilmore GS-X for over a year.  For more information, check out Innerfidlity.com

Here's the link:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparing-world-class-headphones

Feb 12, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #23 of 23
I have not heard the Woo Audio GES or Liquid Ligtning
, so I can't comment on them directly. From what I have heard with my own ears, I would go for the Blue Hawaii amplifier if you have the money and don't mind the moderate hassle of tubes. My second favorite is the KGSSHV.  Surprisingly, the SRM-727S wasn't *too* far behind the KGSSHV to my ears.  I would encourage looking through the stax thread to see what the stax mafia recommend.

What would you lose going from HD800 to SR-009.  The ability to take it somewhere without AC power.  More than this... I don't think you will give up anything, though people who have better ears than me will say you will take a hit on imaging. As to the question can the HD800 stand up to the SR-009, it sort of depends on what you mean by that.  To my ears, the SR-009 was superiors to the HD800 in just about every way other than maybe comfort... the HD800 is the most comfortable headphone I have used, period.  There was a nice review [size=medium]comparing world class headphones
[/SIZE] which you might find interesting, I prefer the HD800 to every other dynamic and planer headphone I have listened to and several electrostatic cans (which surprised me).  If only the HD800 didn't have quite some much energy in the lower treble it would be the last headphones I purchased for many years.

--Mark

So I spent most of a day comparing the HD800 to SR-009, SR-007mk2, SR-407 and SR-507.
HD800:
- Cary CAD 300 SEI
- Bryston BP26
Stax:
- SRM-323S
- SRM-006tS
- SRM-007tII

Source was a mix of flac via Bryston BDP-1 to the Bryston BDA-1 DAC
The amps that had balanced inputs were connected via XLR.

I really suck at reviews, so I will keep this short:
The HD800 beat everything but the SR-009 imo.

The 009 is by far the best headphone I've tried, the detail is simply stunning. I have nothing to complain about, alltho I can't help but wonder how it would sound if it came with the same type of earpads that the HD800 ships with...
I did feel the 009 had more bass impact, but I also felt the HD800 had more details and went lower than the 009.
This surprised me as I was expecting the electrostats to have less bass impact than HD800 before I tried them.
HD800's soundstage is still the best I've ever heard.
HD800 has that nasty peak around 6k and sibilance, 009 does not.
HD800 is still the most comfortable headphone I've ever used.
Despite this, and the insane price of the 009, I ended up buying the 009...

OH SNAP! LOL :D. I am this close to picking up a HD800, Schiit Mjolnir and Bottlehead Crack. I just cannot decide if Apex Peak w/ Volcano or Audio GD Phoenix or WA2, or the above combo (Mjolnir and Bottlehead Crack).

Hmmm
I had the chance to compare the Schiit Mjolnir, Auralic Taurus and Burson Soloist with the HD800(and LCD2,LCD3,HE6,HE500) last week... Can not say I was impressed with the Mjolnir at all, in fact it would have been my last choice... and I had such high hopes that some of those would convince me I did not need the 009 afterall...

Disclaimer: I'm new at this and have NFI what I am doing, everything is subjective etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back