Comparison HD800 / SR-009
Oct 13, 2012 at 12:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Sahara

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone:

I currently have a Sennheiser HD800 associated with a Woo Audio 2 OTL.The set is simply fantastic. Now I have bought a Stax SR-009 and look for a good amplifier for them - I think  Woo Audio GES or Liquid Ligtning are my preferred candidates-

In reference of Sennheiser HD800  What are the parameters I get or lose with the new acquisition -Stax SR-009?
Do you think the HD800 could support a direct comparison with the SR-009?

Regards

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #2 of 23
Hmm that's a interesting post, I would like to see a comparison if possible. I hear the Staxs are like #1.

Oct 14, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #3 of 23
I've never used stats, but what I've heard is that they beat pretty much every headphone in every area when it comes to SR-009, for most people that buy them they are the end of the line.  But at the price they command, unless cost is truly no object, you probably want to test them out at a meet or dealer before deciding.  

Oct 14, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #4 of 23
I have not heard the Woo Audio GES or Liquid Ligtning, so I can't comment on them directly. From what I have heard with my own ears, I would go for the Blue Hawaii amplifier if you have the money and don't mind the moderate hassle of tubes. My second favorite is the KGSSHV.  Surprisingly, the SRM-727S wasn't *too* far behind the KGSSHV to my ears.  I would encourage looking through the stax thread to see what the stax mafia recommend.

What would you lose going from HD800 to SR-009.  The ability to take it somewhere without AC power.  More than this... I don't think you will give up anything, though people who have better ears than me will say you will take a hit on imaging. As to the question can the HD800 stand up to the SR-009, it sort of depends on what you mean by that.  To my ears, the SR-009 was superiors to the HD800 in just about every way other than maybe comfort... the HD800 is the most comfortable headphone I have used, period.  There was a nice review [size=medium]comparing world class headphones[/size] which you might find interesting, I prefer the HD800 to every other dynamic and planer headphone I have listened to every electrostatic headphone I have tried except the SR-007 and the SR-009.  If only the HD800 didn't have quite some much energy in the lower treble it would be the last headphones I purchased for many years.

--Mark

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:
I prefer the HD800 to every other dynamic and planer headphone I have listened to and several electrostatic cans...

Just a quick correction. Both orthodynamics (magnetic planars) and electrostatics are considered planars 
wink_face.gif
. As long as it has a flat diaphragm, it is a planar.

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #6 of 23
Just a quick correction. Both orthodynamics (magnetic planars) and electrostatics are considered planars :wink_face: . As long as it has a flat diaphragm, it is a planar.

OH SNAP! LOL :D. I am this close to picking up a HD800, Schiit Mjolnir and Bottlehead Crack. I just cannot decide if Apex Peak w/ Volcano or Audio GD Phoenix or WA2, or the above combo (Mjolnir and Bottlehead Crack).

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #7 of 23
I don't have too much experience with the SR-009. I have only heard them a couple of times -the SR-009 with the SRM-007tII- but I could test them with music that I usually hear and checking its great potential I decided to buy it.

In parameters such as the soundstage, building and comfort the HD800 seem better and in terms of resolution the HD800 dont lose or it's very near. Basically where I have noticed that the Stax win is in the low and high frequencies and perhaps more coherent with the placement of the instruments, but without a doubt the Sennheiser HD800 are a worthy rival for any comparison.I need to have more experience with the SR-009 to have a closest point of view. 

I found they can be complementary and time to enjoy both....Both have great potential and what lacks it one the other has..

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Just a quick correction. Both orthodynamics (magnetic planars) and electrostatics are considered planars 
wink_face.gif
. As long as it has a flat diaphragm, it is a planar.

Thanks for the correction. Something I knew, but I was lazy and didn't want to type orthodynamics. I should have known that I wouldn't get away with being lazy 
rolleyes.gif

--Mark

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:
OH SNAP! LOL
biggrin.gif
. I am this close to picking up a HD800, Schiit Mjolnir and Bottlehead Crack. I just cannot decide if Apex Peak w/ Volcano or Audio GD Phoenix or WA2, or the above combo (Mjolnir and Bottlehead Crack).

I have no experience with Schitt or Apex...but I own the Woo Audio 2 & Senn HD800 and I can confirm that is a fantastic set up. You have to go to super high level -very high- to improve that...
wink_face.gif

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #10 of 23
I have no experience with Schitt or Apex...but I own the Woo Audio 2 & Senn HD800 and I can confirm that is a fantastic set up. You have to go to super high level -very high- to improve that...:wink_face:

Interesting, seeing as I can get a mint WA2 for $820 shipped.

Oct 15, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #11 of 23

The phicture has been taken a couple of weeks ago. The speakers are already sold, the Octave has to go and it place should be for a new electrostatic amplifier ... and next to the HD800, a double bracket...with the SR-009. I want to keep the AN DAC in my system.

I have no intention of selling my combo WA2-HD800 under any condition.

Oct 15, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #12 of 23
Oct 15, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #14 of 23

Sorry if you do not like the system. I hope to have better luck next time.I did not expect that you were so exigent

There is no more... at the moment.
We'll see in a couple of weeks if it ś more of your taste. That's already a archive picture...

:confused:? I said "beautiful setup :D". I didn't mean sarcasim, I love the elegant and clean look of your setup! LOL I think you got the wrong idea :blink:

Oct 15, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #15 of 23
Doesnt matter, don't worry...Maybe I didn't understand the meaning of that green smiley. In Spain we say " a picture is better than thousand words" and on spanish forums the green smiley -like that- means irony and sarcasm.

The Spaniards are so...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back