Comparison: FiiO X3 vs. iBasso DX50
Jan 29, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #76 of 100
Does the eq change anything in the sound in the new fw? I'm thinking of replacing My X3 for a dx50 due to lack of eq options among other things. Also i've heard the soundstage is supposed to be bigger on the dx50. Do you guys think that a dx50 + sennheiser momentum (over ear) is a good pairing? Also i do need quite a lot of bass, can the dx50 handle this if u crank up the eq? Afterall, momentums are quite bass heavy themselves

Feb 4, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #77 of 100
I can't decide which one to get, I'll be pairing them with a set of Westone W3's.

I also have a fiio e17, will I notice a difference combining them with either player?

Apr 29, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #78 of 100
Hi there. Guys i am new here and need your help big time.

I currently use 1. Ath M50 , 2, ATHANC7B, 3. Sony MDR NC100D.

My sources are
1. Audigy 2 based dell xps
2. Iphone 5,4S
3. Sansa clip +
Plus fiio E11

The problem i am in is that i love the sound of that iphone 5. Its bright sparkly greater soundstage airy and has tight bass with all the cans i own though a bit digital. I like it more then the 4S or equal which is used with the fiio E11

The sanda clip + sound dull dark muddy lifeless and simply pathetic. Now i might have a dodgy copy or some dosdgy ears as most people like the sansa and rate it better to the ipods/ iphone.

Sound wise i would give sansa 3/10
Iphone 7/10

Now i am in the market for some new iem and a DAP
X3 or the dx50 or the hm700 or the ipod classic ( as i know how it sounds and have no idea about the others)
I am scared from my experience with the sansa. Though i liked the sony walkmans and there older cd players i really liked that SQ

I am confused as i cant try any
Need your help in finalising 1.

I am also interested in getting the vsonic 1000 or the shure 425 or the x10 or the hifiman 400 iems Which bundle with the hm700 player.

Please help i am stuck.
I read the forum for the dev thread of both the dx50 and x3. But i need to know which will be better and surpass the iphone 5. And which would sound like the sansa so that i dnt go near that.

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #79 of 100
The sanda clip + sound dull dark muddy lifeless and simply pathetic. Now i might have a dodgy copy or some dosdgy ears as most people like the sansa and rate it better to the ipods/ iphone.

If you didn't put the Rockbox software on the Clip+, then you haven't really heard the Clip+ yet.  Do that first before you spend any money. 

Rockbox is now available for the DX50 as well.  The DX50 with Rockbox installed would be a noticeable step up from the Clip+ with Rockbox.

May 5, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #80 of 100
I have the clip rbd. And i like the basic setup more. Rb sounded digital and weird.
I played with the settings and even used others setting but no luck.

May 7, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #81 of 100
Thinking which to buy between x3 and dx50. Will be pairing it with sm3. Are these 2 a notable upgrade from fuze+?

May 8, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #82 of 100
Thinking which to buy between x3 and dx50. Will be pairing it with sm3. Are these 2 a notable upgrade from fuze+?

I had the clip+ and mine may be defective but i give it a 2/10. My iphone is far better 6/10
I use low volumes so its good there

The daps are definitely an big upgrade.
Try getting the dx90 or the x5 to future proof yourself a bit. In terms of the amp section.
Get one soon. And enjoy the music as it is supposed to.
Cheers

Sep 2, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #83 of 100
Would anyone be able to compare how long the battery lasts (with IEMs, have Phonak 232) on
IBasso DX50
IBasso DX90
Fiio X3

I am not thinking of Fiio X5 as the reviews bring up issues with easy-to-use interface (esp. The buttons which act unpredictably).

Thanks for your help!

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #84 of 100
Would anyone be able to compare how long the battery lasts (with IEMs, have Phonak 232) on
IBasso DX50
IBasso DX90
Fiio X3

I am not thinking of Fiio X5 as the reviews bring up issues with easy-to-use interface (esp. The buttons which act unpredictably).

Thanks for your help!

The DX90's battery life is definitely shorter than both DX50 and X3.  However, the DX90 (running either the lurker0 modified firmware or Rockbox) performs on a much higher level than both of them. 

The controls on the X5 were so counterintuitive that I sent the review unit back without even bothering to write a review.  The X3's controls aren't much better.  It's really perplexing.  It's as if FiiO deliberately went out of their way to make their DAPs as annoying to use as possible.  I've never seen anything like it. 

Sansa perfected DAP controls years ago on the Clip+.  Nothing could ever be simpler (or more natural) than a four-way joystick with the "enter" button in the middle and an "up a level" button in the most logical place ever: on the top of the DAP itself!!  I don't get why anyone even bothers trying to invent a better DAP control layout...

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #86 of 100
I have a feeling this is a stupid question, but I'm currently looking for a new DAC to replace my busted Fiio E17. I have UM PRO 30s and heard the iBasso line pairs nicely with them....

So, if I get the iBasso DX90 or DX50, can I use them like a USB sound card (the way I use the E17 to bypass ****ty laptop audio)?

Jun 26, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #87 of 100
  I have a feeling this is a stupid question, but I'm currently looking for a new DAC to replace my busted Fiio E17. I have UM PRO 30s and heard the iBasso line pairs nicely with them....

So, if I get the iBasso DX90 or DX50, can I use them like a USB sound card (the way I use the E17 to bypass ****ty laptop audio)?

Never heard the UM Pro 30, so I can't comment there, but I can tell you the DX90 is significantly superior to the DX50 (and nearly every other DAP I've tried), assuming you install Rockbox on it.  The DX50 isn't bad, it's just held back by its headphone amp stage, which is not the greatest.  DX50 is great through its line out, and it (like DX90) is greatly imrpoved when running Rockbox. 

Both DX50 and DX90 can be used like a USB sound card, but the Windows drivers are primitive - so much so that I never tried them myself.  A new Windows driver was just released, however, and it's supposedly a big improvement.  I doubt it will be as simple and plug-and-play as a dedicated device like an E17, but you may want to ask someone else who's tried the new Windows driver. 

Jun 26, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #89 of 100
  Nice review. I don't know if I should go for ibasso DX50, HiFiMan 603 or Fiio X3ii.

Here's my (personal) take on X3II and iBasso DX50.  I've owned DX50 for almost a year, X3II for about a month.

Pushing aside the features, settings, size which I must give to FiiO the sound is easily different enough to own both if possible.

X3II sounds technically stronger, areas like refinement, separation, coherence across the frequency range are a step above DX50, hearing samples during busy passages are easier to make out. DX50 can sound slightly confused compared to X3II on this technicality. The FiiO also sounds more musical and smoother overall, has a great sense of enjoyment for casual listening.

And that's where my second hand comes in. While I find X3II stronger overall, even areas like bass being tighter, controlled and showing good speed (often related to driving power), it sounds a little blunt or dull compared or missing some vibrance around the mid-range. I pick this up with vocal tracks, that I'm missing the absolute clarity I find in the iBasso units.

Moving on while DX50 technical areas aren't as competent (expect soundstage which is slightly wider to my ears) when it comes to that separation and strong refinement I'm willing to sacrifice this for higher clarity and detail, or more to the point effortless presentation, so you're kinda stuck in a catch 22. Technical / vibrancy, which do you prefer?

I want to hear what I like most, while I love (I really do) admire X3II's technical aspects it simply falls short in the area that I require first in foremost. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back