Comparison: FiiO X3 vs. iBasso DX50
Jun 26, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #91 of 100
So the DX50 has a greater soundstage and is More detailed than the X3II?

Slight advantage in stage width, yes.

It's really all preference related in a nutshell and importantly synergy between the headphone used. For my standards I will need a bright IEM to enjoy X3II at its fullest.

Jun 26, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #92 of 100
Slight advantage in stage width, yes.

It's really all preference related in a nutshell and importantly synergy between the headphone used. For my standards I will need a bright IEM to enjoy X3II at its fullest.

I demoed the X3II and still prefer the X3 but I still like the X5 but the X3 with a nice amp had more punch more organic. Wondering if the X90 would bring a bigger sound stage and more details than theDX50. I will use the Headstage Arrow amp.

Jun 26, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #93 of 100

I demoed the X3II and still prefer the X3 but I still like the X5 but the X3 with a nice amp had more punch more organic. Wondering if the X90 would bring a bigger sound stage and more details than theDX50. I will use the Headstage Arrow amp.

DX90 brings more detail than DX50 but the soundstage (at least to me) isn't the huge leap as the price and numbers  50 - 90 would expect. DX90 wider but not by leaps and bounds. 

Soundstage order from widest first: DX90 > DX50 > X3II.

Jun 29, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #97 of 100
I have been demoing a couple of DAPs in the past four months with the focus on Sub Bass and which can provide more Sub Bass than the other.I am comparing my X3 (Original version) to the various DAPs.The Daps Tested were: Cowon P1,DX90, X5, X3 (Original) , X3II, and AK120II. I used 5 tracks and I used my Arrow portable amp on every DAP. Right away I noticed the X5 and DX90 sounded wide but lacked the depth. Add the amp and boost the bass on the amp and the bass got stronger but didnt go deep as I heard on the X3. DX90 and X5 voice and treble were nice and in that area it wins but in bass and especially sub bass they do not even with the help of an amp they are greta but not sub bass DAPs.Tested the new X3II and something sounded not as good as the original X3 and by the way I tested the AK Jr, three times and it was similar to the X3II. Now the Cowon P1 that was nice, it had a wide sound stage but the depth of the bass was intense and went almost as low as the X3. One thing the Cowon has is tons of settings and it has a Bass exciter that made the bass go nuts my ASG2.0 and A3 could not take that setting. Also the EQ on the Cowon is nice and a lot better than all the other Daps and the Cowon sounds more ANALOG than DIGITAL. Now what I find that makes the X3 better especially in the SUB BASS reion is that its EQ is not in its FIRMWARE its EQ is in the HARDWARE so I can adjust the TREBLE and the BASS even when I have an amp connected so if I boost the bass on the amp I can also adjust the bass or treble in the X3 and so these songs I picked all sounded better on the X3 because on the X# the bass hits so low very low and hard that I stop and look around thinking a car crashed or and earth quake just hit around me. Without an amp the X3 sound stage is a bit more narrow but not as narrow as an Apple player but with an amp its sound stage is very wide and so dont think the X3 lacks width but those other DAPs were more focued on the width than the depth.

Dec 6, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #98 of 100
Hi Everyone.  Need your Help!  6 months ago I had read all these threads and.. decided on DX50 (vs X3II).
My reasons AT THAT TIME:

Against X3, for DX50

X3 I heard that when backing out of a folder did not position on that folder in parent folder.. this was a total non-starter for me since I am a DJ and have hundreds of folders.  DX50 seemed to have no complaints about folder browsing.

Ditto with gapless playback, X3II could not do it playing from folders.  Not sure if DX50 can...

DX50 had OTG, X3II did not (at that time).  Being a DJ it is likely I will want to play off USB drives I have prepared for DJing.
DX50 most reports said better build quality.
DX50 has common replaceable battery, X3II doesn't.
DX50 .. Option of installing RockBox
A lot of people said the X3II firmware was awkward.

In favor of X3.. Scroll wheel seems better liked than touch screen.  USB DAC could come in handy.. DX50 didn't have that.

OK but now 6 MONTHS LATER the day has come to place my order...
I now discover that both players got a lot of updates.

They both do OTG now.. tho I've heard that the X3 only works with some drives.. and can't import files from OTG (but.. haven't heard that DX50 can either).
They both do USB DAC now.
X3II UI getting more praise now.
DX50 discontinued!  DX80 is nice but more than I want to spend.  Can still get DX50
X3II price reduced.

I'm still inclined to the DX50.. more confidence that I will be happy with folder playback and browsing (very important to me) and that OTG will work well.. the scroll wheel of the DX3 being the main reason to still consider it.. which is a big temptation.. but I am just not sure.  I have an android phone, I'm not scared of touch screens if the software is good.

Can anyone who has experience with these with the newest firmware help shed some light as to how they compare now vs how they compared initially?

THANKS!

Dec 6, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #99 of 100
Well.. I guess this topic is kinda stale and not of interest anymore.. only fair since the DX50 is discontinued....

I went to a local store and was able to try the X3-II, X5.. and they had the DX50 80 and 90 for purchase but not demo... I tried the X3 and it seemed quite capable and well made, but I found the screen very difficult to read at first glance. My eyes aren't the greatest and the font is serif and small and pretty grainy. The X5 on the other hand.. much nicer! Only 250 usd on sale! But I felt that although I would be totally happy with the X5 in every functional way, it was a bit bigger and heavier than I wanted for a walk around player. But it is beautifully made.

So, DX50 won by default and at first try I like it quite a lot. As a DJ I especially love being able to use the touch screen to jump into the middle of a track...

They are certainly both very good players.. no wonder there is lack of a clear concensus.

PS: the DX80 just was too much money, I use my gear a lot and take it everywhere and it was just too much money to be toting around in my bag on city streets.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Aug 1, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #100 of 100

Here's my (personal) take on X3II and iBasso DX50.  I've owned DX50 for almost a year, X3II for about a month.

Pushing aside the features, settings, size which I must give to FiiO the sound is easily different enough to own both if possible.

X3II sounds technically stronger, areas like refinement, separation, coherence across the frequency range are a step above DX50, hearing samples during busy passages are easier to make out. DX50 can sound slightly confused compared to X3II on this technicality. The FiiO also sounds more musical and smoother overall, has a great sense of enjoyment for casual listening.

And that's where my second hand comes in. While I find X3II stronger overall, even areas like bass being tighter, controlled and showing good speed (often related to driving power), it sounds a little blunt or dull compared or missing some vibrance around the mid-range. I pick this up with vocal tracks, that I'm missing the absolute clarity I find in the iBasso units.

Moving on while DX50 technical areas aren't as competent (expect soundstage which is slightly wider to my ears) when it comes to that separation and strong refinement I'm willing to sacrifice this for higher clarity and detail, or more to the point effortless presentation, so you're kinda stuck in a catch 22. Technical / vibrancy, which do you prefer?

I want to hear what I like most, while I love (I really do) admire X3II's technical aspects it simply falls short in the area that I require first in foremost. 

Thanks so much for the comparison. I'm currently undecided between these two players at the moment. I do believe the DX50 is discontinued now though for some reason. I wonder if Ibasso is replacing it with an updated version. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back