Comparing the Custom TF10 and Universal TF10. You're not gonna like this...
Apr 4, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #31 of 65
^
that sucks. better fit doesn't help much if it sounds worse. you do have your re252 at least ;p

Apr 4, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #32 of 65
That's the complete opposite of my experience. I found the bass remained the same and sounds great to me, but the treble is extremely annoying. It's way too bright and I can't stand the sibilance. I almost want to suggest they use different filters for the high soundtube. I'm almost certain that would even things out perfectly.

I just plugged my cable into the universal TF10 and custom TF10 and listened to them at the same time. (universal - left, custom - right) and can clearly hear a difference. Bass and mid frequencies seem about the same, but the higher frequencies suffer. I can hear them clearer through the universal. The cymbals are actually more prominent and I almost don't notice them in the remold. which is unusual considering the increased sibilance in the remold. You would think the cymbals would be more prominent in the remold, but it seems it only increases the sibilance. I can clearly hear the "sssss" in the custom. I'm almost tempted to get them remolded again (at my expense) to have them experiment with stronger filters.

... and FYI, the universal TF10 doesn't actually use soundtubes. I've taken apart a TF10 and nothing is physically attached the the drivers except the filters. They sit right on the nozzle. The drivers are only encased in a silicon housing and the nozzles sit closely to the tubes that sit in your ear. This results in audio "leaking" from the monitors. I think this is why everyone close can hear what you're listening to when you're wearing the universals. My brother turns his up so loud, I can hear them in a different room. You wont get this from customs because the sound can't escape. It travels down the soundtube and into your ear. Perhaps this is why the universal sounds better. Maybe the sibilance is lost along the way to your ear drum, whereas when listening to the customs, every bit of sound is sent to your ear drum. Maybe UE designed them this way, knowing the highs needed to be strong in order to sound accurate by the time they reached your drum. Had they used soundtubes, maybe they would have used a different filter or weakened the high frequencies when tuning. Just food for thought.

Apr 24, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #33 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by mistertomlinson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's the complete opposite of my experience. I found the bass remained the same and sounds great to me, but the treble is extremely annoying. It's way too bright and I can't stand the sibilance. I almost want to suggest they use different filters for the high soundtube. I'm almost certain that would even things out perfectly.

I just plugged my cable into the universal TF10 and custom TF10 and listened to them at the same time. (universal - left, custom - right) and can clearly hear a difference. Bass and mid frequencies seem about the same, but the higher frequencies suffer. I can hear them clearer through the universal. The cymbals are actually more prominent and I almost don't notice them in the remold. which is unusual considering the increased sibilance in the remold. You would think the cymbals would be more prominent in the remold, but it seems it only increases the sibilance. I can clearly hear the "sssss" in the custom. I'm almost tempted to get them remolded again (at my expense) to have them experiment with stronger filters.

... and FYI, the universal TF10 doesn't actually use soundtubes. I've taken apart a TF10 and nothing is physically attached the the drivers except the filters. They sit right on the nozzle. The drivers are only encased in a silicon housing and the nozzles sit closely to the tubes that sit in your ear. This results in audio "leaking" from the monitors. I think this is why everyone close can hear what you're listening to when you're wearing the universals. My brother turns his up so loud, I can hear them in a different room. You wont get this from customs because the sound can't escape. It travels down the soundtube and into your ear. Perhaps this is why the universal sounds better. Maybe the sibilance is lost along the way to your ear drum, whereas when listening to the customs, every bit of sound is sent to your ear drum. Maybe UE designed them this way, knowing the highs needed to be strong in order to sound accurate by the time they reached your drum. Had they used soundtubes, maybe they would have used a different filter or weakened the high frequencies when tuning. Just food for thought.

but if you did send them back for re tuning, would it be much of a difference?

Nov 30, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #38 of 65

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by mistertomlinson /img/forum/go_quote.gif

but if you did send them back for re tuning, would it be much of a difference?

Do they actually tune the thing when they remold TF10? I think they just chuck the drivers in and seal it. Whereas when you add a driver they do tune the sound.

Nov 30, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #39 of 65
I would imagine that they would at least tweak it a little. I don't think the entire procedure is as simple as making an acryllic shell and then tossing the drivers into it.

Nov 30, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #40 of 65

I would imagine that they would at least tweak it a little. I don't think the entire procedure is as simple as making an acryllic shell and then tossing the drivers into it.

Why would they tune the drivers? But I mean yea... They throw the IEMs into the custom molds and there you go.... Customs turned into universals, easy as 1,2,3.

Nov 30, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #41 of 65

Quote:
Why would they tune the drivers? But I mean yea... They throw the IEMs into the custom molds and there you go.... Customs turned into universals, easy as 1,2,3.

Well then that explains the problem with the sound, cos if you don't tune the thing and just chuck it in there the change of the housing material and the lack of silicone tips will probably change the sound.

Nov 30, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #44 of 65

Quote:

Because I have the idea that drivers are sensitive little things?
tongue.gif

So, I assume that the service will test run the drivers in the new housings to make sure they sound the "best". Unfortunately for the OP, apparently the guy that made his customs prefers his highs a bit too much.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back