Compared: Headamp Pico, Ray Samuels Hornet, Apogee MiniDAC
Feb 27, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #46 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmuse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, it's like treating the Pico as a pre-amp? Without using the line-out, wouldn't Pico's headphone out distort the sound/soundstage? It just feel weird doing it that way...

Look at that as a variable line-out. Nothing gets distorted, all DACs have amp section after DAC chip anyway, so this is not that much different. That was discussed numerous times already.

Feb 28, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #47 of 55
Just want report that I have pretty good result using my L3000 with the PICO at work. The Pico seems to work better with lower impedance headphones (I will need to try more) than higher impedance headphone like Senn HD-650.

Mar 3, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #48 of 55
That's something I'd like to ask: how does a Pico fare with Sennheiser HD-650s, BeyerDynamic DT-990s, AT L3000s and so on?

I'm upgrading from a HeadFive, so it will probably do better with any of those, right?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #49 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ymer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's something I'd like to ask: how does a Pico fare with Sennheiser HD-650s, BeyerDynamic DT-990s, AT L3000s and so on?

I'm upgrading from a HeadFive, so it will probably do better with any of those, right?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

The Pico does admirable job with the L3000 although I feel its struggle a little bit the HD-650. Of course, the Pico has a good way to go to equal my DHA3000 but its sound very very nice with the L3000. Might be a bit boomy for the L3000 but you can't get better deal than this.

Apr 20, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #50 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look at that as a variable line-out. Nothing gets distorted, all DACs have amp section after DAC chip anyway, so this is not that much different. That was discussed numerous times already.

Sorry to bring this old thread up.

But basically I can use Pico solely as a DAC if I use a mini to rca cable to feed my desktop amp ?

Apr 20, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #51 of 55
Great review, Iron_Dreamer! But I can't but seeing this as a lopsided fight, seeing how the Pico came much later than the Hornet. Add the Predator into your equation, and then we'd have a very interesting 4-way battle.

Apr 21, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #52 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by kodreaming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to bring this old thread up.

But basically I can use Pico solely as a DAC if I use a mini to rca cable to feed my desktop amp ?

Yep - I use it as a preamp to feed a Dark Voice 336i tube amp from my iBook in my basement rig, since the old iBook doesn't have optical out like my Macbook or iMac.

Apr 21, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #53 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great review, Iron_Dreamer! But I can't but seeing this as a lopsided fight, seeing how the Pico came much later than the Hornet. Add the Predator into your equation, and then we'd have a very interesting 4-way battle.

Well the Hornet was use for several reasons. First and foremost, I had easy access to one. Second, it is a very common and well-known portable able, which can act as a point of reference for many people. Lastly, the Predator's amp section is known to be extremely similar to the Hornet.

Want a Pico/Predator comparison? Got a Predator to send me?
biggrin.gif

Otherwise, it might happen at CanJam.

Mar 28, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #54 of 55
I just found this thread linked from another asking about the Pico DAC. Since now the DAC can be bought by itself, with RCA outs, I figured it's worth a bump, as many people are asking about it. I'm also thinking of setting up a travel rig for later this year, and the Pico or Pico DAC are on my list of possible purchases. Thanks for the great review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back