Compared: Headamp Pico, Ray Samuels Hornet, Apogee MiniDAC
Feb 2, 2008 at 7:32 AM Post #16 of 55
I remember reading your meet impression. And when you claimed Pico superiority. I took notice. You have blessed ears Sir. Good Mini-shootout.
And even better observations. Nice review!!

Feb 2, 2008 at 7:50 AM Post #17 of 55
superb review! thanks for sharing your well-formed opinion. it's always a
cool.gif
read.

pico resistance is futile
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 2, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #18 of 55
hm... thanks for these comments on those three gadgets. I had the Apogee but never really liked it, and my TH is no Hornet. still, I'm on the wait-list for a Pico now, and happy to read here why.

Feb 8, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #21 of 55
Edwood???????????????????!!!!

BTW, my 2nd hand Pico should be here saturday.

This scrap of a post should function as a bump to all of you folks who have both a Pico AND a top of the line non-portable system.

Do you all agree with IronDreamer? Or was he too far into his cache of mind altering substances?

Feb 8, 2008 at 5:56 AM Post #22 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsonad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hahahaha! You can compare it against my Predator if you like Abe. I would like to hear the Pico myself
wink.gif

Would love to, Aaron! All the other gears you've been accumulating are really tempting.
biggrin.gif

I just put myself on the PICO pre-order list, don't how long I will be waiting, most likely a long one.
frown.gif

Feb 10, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #24 of 55
OK, got my Pico this morning.

Plugged the cable into my laptop, Vista recognized it. Windows media player (running lossless) saw it. Clicked on one of my favorite albums, voila, instant joy.

Using UM2's, HD650's or Edition 9's, doesn't matter, this tiny powerhouse performs as advertised.

I won't go into great detail, but basically, I'm listening to the future of music. Iron_Dreamer's review won't get any dissent from me.

The Pico can't quite keep up with my big iron (see my sig), but it is close enough, it's almost scary.

BTW, there is no issue with bass on the E9's (as another had posted, perhaps in another thread), at least to my ears. Some albums the bass is a little fuzzy, but that, IMO is because that's the way it is on the recording. When the recording is right, the bass is right. As for highs, cymbals simply shimmer. Voices are excellent, with character and bite. Mind you the Pico is not broken in yet and there is sibilance on certail early poorly recorded albums (meaning Beatles).

I can pick up a tiny bit of tube like smearing, because of the upsampling or use of opamps, I couldn't say. On the other hand, instrument placement, sound stage and ability to isolate on individual instruments is right up there with the, oh let's say $1000 dacs. BTW, maybe I shouldn't have said smearing, maybe tube like rounding of edges. :xf_cool:

Is it perfect? Nah, but what is? Yet, for the price I can't think of anything close, regardless of size. (And no, I haven't heard the Predator. It's simply getting difficult to keep up with the speed of technical progress. What a joyful problem.)

Bottom line, this little technical marvel lives up to the hype. (goes back to ripping the remaining cd's in his collection)

Feb 10, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #25 of 55
Thanks for the info. Always brings a warm feeling when I hear good things coming out from HeadAmp.

Feb 10, 2008 at 8:42 AM Post #26 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by pageman99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edwood???????????????????!!!!

BTW, my 2nd hand Pico should be here saturday.

This scrap of a post should function as a bump to all of you folks who have both a Pico AND a top of the line non-portable system.

Do you all agree with IronDreamer? Or was he too far into his cache of mind altering substances?

No, that would be me and mind altering substances.
tongue.gif

I don't have the Apogee MiniDAC. I've spent time listening, comparing to my Stello DA220 + Grace m902 setup. The Pico does have a small advantage in the sound quality and detail of it's USB DAC compared to the Stello DA220's DAC.

However, it's the amplification where the Pico does not compete as well. But that is because of the K1000, which is the widow maker of all portables. And the volume control as well, but we're comparing full sized vs. tiny sized. Not a fair comparison at all.

Since I plan on migrating to a fully balanced setup, the Pico is not going to get rid of my main rig. But if I were to stay single ended and not have my K1000, my Stello DA220 and Grace m902 would be up for sale right now.

-Ed

Feb 10, 2008 at 9:19 AM Post #27 of 55
Thanks for this nice comparison, I like the good organized approach it was written.

Feb 10, 2008 at 11:24 AM Post #28 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since I plan on migrating to a fully balanced setup, the Pico is not going to get rid of my main rig. But if I were to stay single ended and not have my K1000, my Stello DA220 and Grace m902 would be up for sale right now.

-Ed

Oh, never mind...I went the wrong way.

Feb 10, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #29 of 55
Quote:

The Pico does have a small advantage in the sound quality and detail of it's USB DAC compared to the Stello DA220's DAC.

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

You gotta be kidding, I must check my DA100.

Feb 10, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #30 of 55
Quote:

I've spent time listening, comparing to my Stello DA220 + Grace m902 setup. The Pico does have a small advantage in the sound quality and detail of it's USB DAC compared to the Stello DA220's DAC.

Nice! I need to compare my DA220 MkII with my Pico soon. Edwood, is your DA220 the MkII version?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back