Comparative review of the Sennheiser HD650 and the Stax SR-202
Jun 28, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #16 of 21
I think the place where I will demo this will have everything....so it's fine. I have some reserve cash and what not.

And really, from what I see LCD 2 or HD800 and really. I'd rather get the DH800 right here and now as I need positioning for games and like Studio quaility. Plus a pal of mine (imperial x) has HD800's and says they are good for the genres I like...so done. Plus I have PM'd some users with the HD800 and my DAC and amp units and says that it works well(hint...word is well not awesome)

Nov 1, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #19 of 21
I'm not sure if you even have the SR-202, but have you tried them with the SRM-252 II amp? Is the Pioneer SA-6300 -> Stax SRD-7 MK II considered better? 

What do you mean you're not sure if I have the SR-202? Of course I have one, I wrote a review on it.

I did not try it with the SRM-252 II. I briefly tried it with a mid-high end Stax amp at a meet, but I forgot which amp it was exactly and I could not detect a significant difference.
I'm not implying at all that the setup I used (and am using now) is that good at all, but it was significantly cheaper to do it this way that to buy an actual Stax amp. In the end it beat the HD650 by a significant edge so whether or not the amp is any good or not is irrelevant -- I have, at least for myself, concluded that the SR-202 is a better sounding headphone than the HD650. Plus, I personally feel the amp doesn't have much effect on the sound of a system, but that is truly just personal experience and opinion.

Nov 1, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #20 of 21
What do you mean you're not sure if I have the SR-202? Of course I have one, I wrote a review on it.

I did not try it with the SRM-252 II. I briefly tried it with a mid-high end Stax amp at a meet, but I forgot which amp it was exactly and I could not detect a significant difference.
I'm not implying at all that the setup I used (and am using now) is that good at all, but it was significantly cheaper to do it this way that to buy an actual Stax amp. In the end it beat the HD650 by a significant edge so whether or not the amp is any good or not is irrelevant -- I have, at least for myself, concluded that the SR-202 is a better sounding headphone than the HD650. Plus, I personally feel the amp doesn't have much effect on the sound of a system, but that is truly just personal experience and opinion.

Oops sorry forgot the word 'still'! 
That is good to know, pretty much the answer I was looking for.
If all goes according to plan, I will buy a SRS 2050II set secondhanded :) I've also owned the HD650, used it with the fiio E9, and wasn't all that impressed. The timbre of the headphone was superb, don't get me wrong, but the bass was very slow, and the overall clarity wasn't that impressive.

Thanks! 

Jan 21, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #21 of 21
Hello,
I've just become the lucky owner of a pair of Stax sr-202's. Having enjoyed the information and enthusiasm of Head-Fi for some time I thought I would join and comment even though this review is not fresh.
The creaking of the SR-202's I thought would be due to the rubbing of the headphone driver units on the pegs that fix them to the headband as they are made of the same plastic.
I tried a little silicone grease on the pegs and the creaking sound has gone away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back